Where in the world ?

Host Hattie

25 minutes ago, Ray66 said:

Is it Cherbourg?

Yes, indeed, it is Cherbourg, from a short "Gallic Getaway" cruise on QV in October 2009 to Cherbourg, Rotterdam and Zeebrugge.

In the event, the weather caused the call to Zeebrugge to be cancelled. In the spirit of making lemonade from lemons, I managed to get this panoramic shot of the White Cliffs of Dover during the resulting sea day sailing the English Channel. Our only disappointment was that we didn't see any bluebirds flying over. OK, bad joke, I know. Sorry!DSC_0532.thumb.JPG.603d53ba0d92e86c9ec43a5a57af57a8.JPG

• Like 2

2 hours ago, bluemarble said:

Yes, indeed, it is Cherbourg, from a short "Gallic Getaway" cruise on QV in October 2009 to Cherbourg, Rotterdam and Zeebrugge.

I was also on that cruise. This is the view from our balcony in Cherbourg:

P1020984.JPG

• Like 1

14 hours ago, bluemarble said:

Thank you for your contribution, Redrobo. I wouldn't have recognized the location on its own, but based on the details you provided, backed up by additional photo research, that's Bridgetown, Barbados.

And just to seal the deal, here's a quote I found on the roll call for your voyage.

"For those cruise nuts like me I found out that Queen Mary 2 will be in Barbados with us....hurray!:D"

P.S.: I think the date of your photo might actually be 15 November 2007. That's the date I have for QM2 being in Barbados and I think 16 November may have been a sea day for you before your arrival back at San Juan on 17 November.

Spot on with the location and the date. My camera was on UK time. My OH correct me later but I didn't amend the post which I should have done. Were you/are you a detective by by any chance.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Ray66 said:

Another clue: May 2015. The second photo shows what is left of a historic pier.

Ah, that was too much of a hint. I've got it now. But I've answered so many already that I'll let it sit for a few more hours to give someone else a shot at it.

21 minutes ago, Redrobo said:

Spot on with the location and the date. My camera was on UK time. My OH correct me later but I didn't amend the post which I should have done. Were you/are you a detective by by any chance.

No, not a detective, but a budding ship enthusiast who likes to solve puzzles like this. I'm retired from a career in computer programming. I've often felt an affinity for solving puzzles is a great asset for a career in computer software design and development.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Host Hattie said:

I thought it might be Cobh ...

1 hour ago, bluemarble said:

I think you've got it. That was my answer too. QV called at Cobh on 7 May 2015.

Yes, it was at the the Titanic exhibition. The cruise was Lusitania Remembered.

16 minutes ago, Ray66 said:

Yes, it was at the the Titanic exhibition. The cruise was Lusitania Remembered.

Ah, yes. I had been thinking 'Titanic' in reference to the historic pier. Had forgotten the significance of May 7, 2015 as being the 100th anniversary of the Lusitania sinking off the coast of Ireland, not far from Cobh (aka Queenstown). Thanks for the reminder.

16 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

The only other one I've managed to recognise is Stavangar but I was too late.

I only knew for sure that it was Isafjordur by finding the same photo in Host Hattie's "Notes from a cruise to Iceland" blog from last year. Figured it wouldn't be cricket to take advantage of that little trick unless no one else knew the location. Glad you were able to get in there this time, exlondoner.

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Redrobo said:

One from me but taken by a visiting friend in July

PHOTO-2020-07-11-13-56-47.jpg

This looks like the unfortunate sight of cruise ships laid up in Weymouth Bay. You probably don't have to travel far for this view, do you?

Edited by bluemarble