Half Moon Cay - Souvenirs? Water Rentals?

Vibrantvirgo81

Hello! Is there any place to buy souvenirs or do shopping here? I'm guessing not but want to double check. I read you can rent a float as well, like just something to lay in the water on. What else can you rent? How much are they? Are there restaurants? If there's only one place does everyone just go back to ship to eat? I'd think the line would be long if there's only one place for food and drinks.  I'm trying to get a feel for what it's like and what to budget for and I'm having problems finding much info. Thanks for any info! 🙂

If you read around the board, you will find the prices, but yes, there are souvenirs, plus trinkets sold by locals. There is a large buffet BBQ, included in your cruise fare. Does "everybody" go back to the ship to eat? No, far from it. There is a couple of bars, and bar servers all over. There are water rentals.

Suggest you do some reading around this board. There are many threads, with pics, videos, maps, all sorts of good info.

On 8/24/2020 at 1:40 PM, CruiserBruce said:

If you read around the board, you will find the prices, but yes, there are souvenirs, plus trinkets sold by locals. There is a large buffet BBQ, included in your cruise fare. Does "everybody" go back to the ship to eat? No, far from it. There is a couple of bars, and bar servers all over. There are water rentals.

Suggest you do some reading around this board. There are many threads, with pics, videos, maps, all sorts of good info.

I did a search before posting and didn't find much but since you seem sure I searched again for "Half Moon Cay" and "HMC" and did not find many answers to my questions. I found there are cabanas and clamshells for rent and a drink package for $25 but nothing mentioned shops or souvenirs, anything beyond 2 places to eat (so I think that's it), no mention of water rentals (except another comment from you telling the OP to look elsewhere b/c it's talked about all over), only a couple pics (one of 2 ships and one of an octopus), no maps, no videos. The search for "Half Moon Cay" actually brought up 3 pages of items most about cabanas, clamshells, and snorkeling. Unless I don't know how to search there's not anywhere near as many details about Half Moon Cay as you say. 

4 minutes ago, puppycanducruise said:

From what I've read, prices for clamshell rentals and some other things depends on what cruise line you are on.  I've read that HAL may charge a different rate than Carnival.

Thank you. That's good to know there's a difference as I'll be on Carnival. 

There is a straw market to buy typical Bahamian stuff. I may be mixing it up with Princess Cay (Princess's Private stop a few miles away), but I think there is a store with logo'd stuff, sunscreen, etc.  as well. 

If you check Holland America's web site, there are many pages of shore excursions and other stuff to do there.

As mentioned, it may be a bit different for Carnival, but you can at least get an idea.  Also search YouTube, I'm sure there are many videos of HMC. 

It's a nice, stress free stop. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

Thank you! The first one I found but didn't find very helpful, the second one I clearly did not scroll down far enough, and idk why but it didn't dawn on me to Google for HMC. I didn't think a private island would have much info. Thank you, I'll continue to utilize Google. 🙂

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 8/23/2020 at 1:38 PM, Vibrantvirgo81 said:

Hello! Is there any place to buy souvenirs or do shopping here? I'm guessing not but want to double check. I read you can rent a float as well, like just something to lay in the water on. What else can you rent? How much are they? Are there restaurants? If there's only one place does everyone just go back to ship to eat? I'd think the line would be long if there's only one place for food and drinks.  I'm trying to get a feel for what it's like and what to budget for and I'm having problems finding much info. Thanks for any info! 🙂

Maybe I can help a little.   

Been there many times on both Carnival and HAL.   As far as rentals, there is a hut where you can rent clamshells, floats, and snorkel equip.  Not sure if there is anything else.   Clamshells I believe are $25 or so.  Floats are around $10.   Clamshells are nice to stay out of the sun, however I have found they get hot and stuffy blocking off the breeze.  Better to find a lounger in shade.   All loungers are free.  As mentioned, you can also rent cabanas which are airconditioned, have a shower, and come with snacks and drinks.    A bit pricey, but are very popular.  

There is a souvenir shop which sells beach logo items, sunscreen, small trinkets, etc.   There are also a few locals selling crafts.  

Numerous bars, run by carnival, so selection and prices are similar to what you would find onboard.   You cannot use drink packages while on island.

As far as food, only option is the buffet lunch which is free.   BBQ chicken, hamburgers, hot dogs, salad, fruit, fries, lemonade, water.  There are 3 serving lines, I believe, so wait time is fairly minimal.   Of course you are free to go back and forth to the ship if you wish.   Just remember, HMC is a tender port, so transfer time may take a bit.   Hope this helps and let me know if I can help further.    We love HMC as it is a beautiful beach and island.