Picture from the first ship you ever sailed on

Germancruiser

Host Hattie from the Cunard board gave me an idea. Since we are all can not report from our cruises I liked Host Hattie´s idea to post pictures from ships in different ports around the world - to quess where it is.

So I thought i would be interessting to see what ships we all sailed FIRST. So here comes the very first ship I ever sailed on.

The year was 1983- I was 14 years old- my parents took brotherdear and me along to our very first cruise- 7 nights in the Greek Islands. The ship was the MV Jupiter of Epirotiki Lines. 5 years later the ship sunk in the Aegäis.

Jupiter.jpg

Edited by Germancruiser
  • Like 3

Although not as exciting as yours, our first cruise was in May 2012 on Celebrity Equinox. We did go to some Greek Islands (Santorini and Mykonos). We've been on 20 or more cruises since, guess you can say we caught the bug...

1758366249_CelebrityEquinox(Mediterranean)May14201210-033.thumb.jpg.d0bc0884be612ad01b3b85fd7d0efe63.jpg

Celebrity Equinox (Mediterranean) May 16, 2012, 8-052.jpg

Wonderful pictures Lou the Glou- you did well- 20 cruises in 8 years. LOL. Equinox and Reflection are the only ships of the S- Class I haven´t sailed as of yet.

Yes- this very first cruise , which triggered my " cruise fever" was exciting - but ship- OH DEAR- I loved every minute on board- but compared to today´s standards- it was really an old rust bucket. LOL.

• Like 1

SS Fiorita (1970)

I was just a kid when we boarded it in Ancona (Italy) then cruised to Kotor, Dubrovnik, Corfu, and sailed through the Corinth Canal to Athens. We then should have gone to Turkey (Ephesus) but an outbreak of Cholera in Turkey meant we returned to Athens again instead. The Baked Alaskas had real flames on them too! 

See the source image

Interesting thread!

My first cruise was on the Britanis circa 1984.  Having never been on a cruise I was impressed.  Due to finances we had an oceanview cabin in the belly of the ship.  2 beds, one on top and one on the bottom.  Teeny cabin.  And no bathroom.  You had to go to a large bathroom gender specific.  There they had private areas for showers and toilets.  Thank goodness things have changed since then!

I remember seeing the big X on the stacks and wondering what they stood for.  Funny that X became our favorite (for now) cruise line!

Britanis-Guantanamo-95.jpg

And sadly,

britanis-sinks.jpg

• Like 1

I have no clue how to post a pic, but over the last 20 years I have met several whose first  cruise was on the same ship as our first cruise, the SS Norway in 1999. She was originally the SS France. Cabin had a window view that looked out over a running track and people out there could see inside our window. Bathroom had an old pull chain toilet tank and the bed so worn that I always rolled to the middle. We had a great time anyway. And the food was fantastic. The Norway later caught fire and sank about 10 or so years ago. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Germancruiser said:

Host Hattie from the Cunard board gave me an idea. Since we are all can not report from our cruises I liked Host Hattie´s idea to post pictures from ships in different ports around the world - to quess where it is.

So I thought i would be interessting to see what ships we all sailed FIRST. So here comes the very first ship I ever sailed on.

The year was 1983- I was 14 years old- my parents took brotherdear and me along to our very first cruise- 7 nights in the Greek Islands. The ship was the MV Jupiter of Epirotiki Lines. 5 years later the ship sunk in the Aegäis.

Jupiter.jpg

What a lovely surprise to see her again.  My husband and I sailed on the Jupiter for our honeymoon in 1980.  What a wonderful memory.

1980 b honeymoon greece aboard the Jupiter 4.jpg

1980 b honeymoon greece Crete 1.jpg

1980 b honeymoon greece Rhodes approach 5.jpg

First and worst cruise ever - Carnival Carnivale.  Our honeymoon cruise.  Weather and seas were horrible.  I was seasick almost the entire time.  Swore I would never cruise again!  DH convinced me otherwise, and here I am with 60+ cruises under my belt; 50 of those on Celebrity and hoping for many more!

35962402-E239-4C6B-80F8-9D8761C4120A.jpeg

My first cruise was a young pre-teen with my family on the USNS Gaffey. Sailed from San Francisco to Guam! Stopped in Hawaii My dad was assigned to a weather squadron on Guam and all of us moved there! Loved it. They walked through the passaways with a set of hand bells to announce 1st and 2nd dinner setting!!  What an experience as a kid.

A6C0C4C2-D322-41C1-9822-8B4F3B72E54D.jpeg

I spent 100 days on the "Oceanographer", sailing out of Miami, in the summer of 1974, stopping in Dakar, Senegal, every few weeks for a couple of days each time to re-supply.  I am hoping to get back to Dakar on Zaandam next October.

Here is a photo from Wikipedia:

USC&GS_Oceanographer_(OSS_O1)_off_Seattl