Mask or No Mask

lyannea

If mask worked it would be almost over with. It is not. In fact, covid is now rising in most of Europe and Canada where strict social distancing and mask wearing are enforced in most European countries.

The only effective method to control the spread of covid is lockdowns like Australia and New Zealand. However, they will need to keep lockdowns in place until it ends and keep their borders closed until it is over worldwide. Forget a vaccine, the ones for respiratory viruses and the flu have never been more than 50% effective. Do you let half the people into your country with no vaccine?

You wear a mask if you have to enter a confined space with a lot of people with the intent you get in and get out as quickly as possible. A mask is not an all day long preventative but that is the way it is being marketed.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, HaveWeMetYet said:

If mask worked it would be almost over with. It is not. In fact, covid is now rising in most of Europe and Canada where strict social distancing and mask wearing are enforced in most European countries.

From what I understand, the rising cases in Canada and Europe are from gatherings where people are not wearing masks nor social distancing.

So...if anything, your point is refuted, not proven.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, HaveWeMetYet said:

Read the link in jfunk138 posts above and you shall have your answer to when we can get back to sailing without all the restrictions that will make it no fun.

200k deaths is too many. The price of herd immunity would only multiply that number and nobody has studied the long term effects of surviving C19 or how long any immunity lasts.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

From what I understand, the rising cases in Canada and Europe are from gatherings where people are not wearing masks nor social distancing.

So...if anything, your point is refuted, not proven.

You are correct.

I remember now, Europe went wide open this summer. Packed beaches and packed bars.

18 minutes ago, fyree39 said:

It seems the lines are drawn geographically on who believes the science and who doesn't.

There was an NIH study on masks posted on I think page three of this thread. That study has to do with bodily fluid splatter and prevention of bacterial infection in a surgical theater, not the release of aerosolized particles carrying Covid. There's as much misinformation on this website as there is in any social media platform (and with no controls in place).

The CDC is preparing to release new information regarding aerosol transmission

1 hour ago, HaveWeMetYet said:

The CDC is preparing to release new information regarding aerosol transmission

Is this the first release on this topic?  The second?  The recant, where they say it was a mistake?  I get confused 

4 hours ago, HaveWeMetYet said:

The only effective method to control the spread of covid is lockdowns like Australia and New Zealand. However, they will need to keep lockdowns in place until it ends and keep their borders closed until it is over worldwide. Forget a vaccine, the ones for respiratory viruses and the flu have never been more than 50% effective. Do you let half the people into your country with no vaccine?

You wear a mask if you have to enter a confined space with a lot of people with the intent you get in and get out as quickly as possible. A mask is not an all day long preventative but that is the way it is being marketed.

You were going fine till you went to vaccines.  The reason they have relatively low effectiveness is they are guessing at what the flu strain will be, not that they cannot make an effective one.  I would think this vaccine would have over 90%.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Several months ago, I made a comment on Cruise Critic that I wouldn’t go on a cruise if masks were required. Back then, I wasn’t wearing a mask at all and would avoid establishments that required one. Now that masks are required in my county and I’ve actually been wearing one each day, it’s not as bothersome anymore.

Crazy as it sounds, I now think I wouldn’t mind having to wear a mask on a cruise and it wouldn’t be a deterrent.

I’m 100% about wearing a mask. But I wouldn’t cruise if it where a requirement. Not because I think it’s a bad idea to wear a mask but because it’s way t different from the way I normally cruise. At present if you want to cruise wear a mask and don’t complain. Otherwise wait.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

2 minutes ago, CJHAN said:

I’m 100% about wearing a mask. But I wouldn’t cruise if it where a requirement. Not because I think it’s a bad idea to wear a mask but because it’s way t different from the way I normally cruise. At present if you want to cruise wear a mask and don’t complain. Otherwise wait.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Wasn’t complaining 😉 

16 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

You were going fine till you went to vaccines.  The reason they have relatively low effectiveness is they are guessing at what the flu strain will be, not that they cannot make an effective one.  I would think this vaccine would have over 90%.  

Yup.  I don't know how so many confuse this.  Influenza is a family of multiple viruses, just like Coronavirus is.  SARS-COV-2 is a particular strain of Coronavirus just like H3N2 is a particular strain of Influenza.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

If we would all just be truthful (Unfortunately this facet of our being has become more difficult these days) the immediacy of this vaccine has nothing to do with curing people. The vaccine is being "rushed" for total political clout. When you try and rush anything it usually doesn't prove effective or complete.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

Viruses mutate. It is what they do. There is more than one strain causing C19 and this has been known for months. There are at least 6 MAIN strains of SARS-COV-2.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2020/08/200803105246.htm

It is good that so far no major mutations, of course we have this whole mess because something didn't mutate for ages and then it mutated and made the jump to humans.  It would be naive to not consider that it could mutate at anytime, but shouldn't stop our focus on a vaccine, but a vaccine without other larger strategy of mitigation and containment is sadly poor and lazy.

To return to a complete sense of normality a vaccine is required part of the plan.   

Many countries have started to return to some sense of normality with mitigation/containment, something  Western countries struggle with one country an outlier, most ironic being the richest and having the biggest head start warning.  Suspect that country will be the last to where it's citizens get to travel internationally unrestricted or cruise 😞

Let's be honest - the real issue for cruisers is how do you adequately enjoy your drink package with social distance and/or not being able to wander around drinking.  Let's not get started on wandering around drunk with your Pirates Pizza.  Only cruised Carnival once and it was an interesting experience in 2004 out of Tampa.  

• Like 2

It is cool to see all of the people who are no longer bothered by a mask.

On that note, my 2nd grade son wears a mask all day, every day at school. The only time he does not wear it is when he is eating. I asked him if it bothered him a couple of days ago and he seemed confused by that question. His answer, obviously, was, "No. Why would it?"  However, he recently got glasses and I can not keep them on his face!  He takes them off constantly and is bothered by them and complains about them...yet, how many of us wear glasses all day, every day.  I feel naked without my glasses.  Yet, for my son, his mask is normal and his glasses are a bother. Goes to show it is all about what you are used to.    

• Like 4

3 hours ago, cruiseSEA52 said:

Let's be honest - the real issue for cruisers is how do you adequately enjoy your drink package with social distance and/or not being able to wander around drinking.  Let's not get started on wandering around drunk with your Pirates Pizza.  Only cruised Carnival once and it was an interesting experience in 2004 out of Tampa.  

They make a mask with a hole for a straw.  

4 hours ago, cruiseSEA52 said:

Not this cruiser.

• Like 1

On 8/23/2020 at 9:08 PM, xDisconnections said:

Crazy as it sounds, I now think I wouldn’t mind having to wear a mask on a cruise and it wouldn’t be a deterrent.

I'm thinking I might wear a mask even after it is no longer required   🙂

On 9/24/2020 at 9:24 AM, jetsfan58 said:

If we would all just be truthful (Unfortunately this facet of our being has become more difficult these days) the immediacy of this vaccine has nothing to do with curing people. The vaccine is being "rushed" for total political clout. When you try and rush anything it usually doesn't prove effective or complete.  

I tend to agree that the rush of the vaccine is 100% political, but it's by both sides.  The problem is that every day, new evidence comes out that suggests there's a cheap, safe and abundantly supplied medicine that currently exists to prevent and significantly reduce symptoms and deaths, but is not being used, solely because of political agendas.  It breaks my heart that the seniors in our country cannot see their loved ones and are dying of loneliness when there's a readily available option.  I see it every day 😞

• Like 1

Florida removes mask wearing and social distancing requirements effective today. Here are key points.

Florida Gov Ron DeSantis announced Friday afternoon that Florida will move to "Phase 3" of its reopening plan, lifting all restrictions on bars and restaurants blocking them from operating at full capacity. The order also prevents local governments from enforcing social distancing requirements like wearing masks in public.

• "It removes all remaining state-level restrictions on businesses, including on bars and restaurants, which were capped at 75% capacity in Phase 3 of DeSantis' original reopening plan."
  • It provides a general right to work and to operate a business. Local governments can limit and regulate businesses, but won’t be able to close businesses because of coronavirus concerns.
  • "Local governments won’t be able to prevent restaurants from operating at above 50% capacity. Under previous orders, local governments could go further than state-level restrictions, and counties in South Florida kept restaurants and bars closed after the state allowed them to reopen. Also, cities and counties won’t be able to impose any restrictions without an economic and health justification."
  • "Cities and counties can’t collect on any outstanding fines they issued as part of their pandemic response. The order, though, doesn’t compel local governments to refund anyone who has already paid a fine."

The news is already horrifying public health experts.

Looks like Florida is going to the "Let It Rip" approach to Covid control.

Edited by HaveWeMetYet
  • Like 4