Required to take a HAL excursion to leave the ship in future?

TomBeckCruise

58 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

Being crammed into a large tour bus with 60 other cruisers is not our idea of fun.

Once upon a time, it was OK for me.  Now, not so much.  Getting on and off such a transport vehicle is more of an issue than the number of guests on the bus.  Yet, if I had to do so, I would try to do so if that cruise really meant much to me.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rkacruiser said:

Once upon a time, it was OK for me.  Now, not so much.  Getting on and off such a transport vehicle is more of an issue than the number of guests on the bus.  Yet, if I had to do so, I would try to do so if that cruise really meant much to me.  

To us it is not getting on an off (usually veeerrrrry sloooow on HAL tours) but all the waiting around for 60 people to use the bathroom, do their shopping, etc.  When we are on our own we can set our own agenda, change it on the fly, and not spend any time waiting around for others.  It also allows us to pursue one of our passions which is eating/drinking at places of our choice without having to constantly worry about the time.  We have no criticism of those that love excursions but it is just not our own style.

As to missing the ship, we have doing our own thing for over 40 years of extensive cruising (hundreds of ports all over the world) and have never missed the ship.  In fact, we have never met any independent cruiser who has missed the ship.  I am sure it has happened but we have yet to meet an actual person that has had that experienced.  As to those who think that excursions make them feel secure, the only armed robbery of a tour we have heard about happened to a Carnival excursion in Puerto Vallarta (our winter home).  And that robbery (which happened in a jungle) was obviously an inside job!  Go figure.

Hank

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Hlitner said:

but all the waiting around for 60 people to use the bathroom, do their shopping, etc. 

I learned some time ago that when I got off a bus for a tour and it was also a restroom break, my priority was to visit the restroom immediately.  

I will never forget the port stop on one cruise where I was one in a long line of men waiting to use the one loo.  "Gentlemen" were not being so "gentle" with those of us who took what they felt was an inordinate amount of time behind the "closed door".  (I remember a pounding on the door with a voice saying:  what's taking you so long?)

2 hours ago, Hlitner said:

We have been on some cruises where we had free cruise excursions.  In keeping with our strong dislike (am being polite) of large group excursions we avoided the excursions.  To us it is not an issue of price but an issue of freedom.  DW and I prefer to do what we want, when we want, with who we want.  Being crammed into a large tour bus with 60 other cruisers is not our idea of fun.

Hank

And those large busses do not seem conducive to social distancing.

I've been watching the MSC Grandiosa tour buses return to the ship.  The ones I saw were fairly large buses, but around 10 or 12 passengers walked off each one.  I'm guessing that they are doing this to allow for distancing, and to be able to keep track of everyone and not allow anyone to leave the "bubble".

• Like 2

22 hours ago, ontheweb said:

And those large busses do not seem conducive to social distancing.

12 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

I've been watching the MSC Grandiosa tour buses return to the ship.  The ones I saw were fairly large buses, but around 10 or 12 passengers walked off each one.  I'm guessing that they are doing this to allow for distancing, and to be able to keep track of everyone and not allow anyone to leave the "bubble".

If shipgeeks observations are correct, using buses might not be an issue.  If--if-- such a practice is continued by North American based cruise lines.

1 hour ago, rkacruiser said:

If shipgeeks observations are correct, using buses might not be an issue.  If--if-- such a practice is continued by North American based cruise lines.

Unless one does not want to go where the buses are going, or wants to go somewhere that they are not going...

• Like 1

8 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Unless one does not want to go where the buses are going, or wants to go somewhere that they are not going...

Or thinks there is more to a country than one can see out of the window of a bus.

• Like 2

I have no problem with this concept; after all, the main idea is to sail and stay safe.  If the ship's excursion is the only way to go ashore, then I make that choice willingly.  Also consider that as a senior citizen we are considered "targets" for those locals who would do us harm if on our own.   For this reason, we almost always choose a ships tour or our travel agent's offered tours.  I'd rather be safe than sorry, rather stay aboard and enjoy the ship, enjoy the chance to be at sea again.  We love sea days anyway.

• Like 11

55 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

While we may have differing opinions on whether or not we would want to partake of this we all say we love the crews and should be positive about anything that could help get them working again.

Roy

While I agree in a general sense, I am not taking a cruise with mandatory ship excursions solely to support either the cruise line or the crew.  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, CherryCupcake said:

I have no problem with this concept; after all, the main idea is to sail and stay safe.  If the ship's excursion is the only way to go ashore, then I make that choice willingly.  Also consider that as a senior citizen we are considered "targets" for those locals who would do us harm if on our own.   For this reason, we almost always choose a ships tour or our travel agent's offered tours.  I'd rather be safe than sorry, rather stay aboard and enjoy the ship, enjoy the chance to be at sea again.  We love sea days anyway.

Welcome to CC (we see this is your first post).  What on earth are you talking about regarding seniors being targets.  We have traveled to hundreds of ports and over 120 countries around the world (we do nearly everything on our own) and have never felt like a "target."  I would add that despite over 50 years of extensive travel (and over 1200 days of cruising) we have never been targeted.

Hank

• Like 2

Also consider that as a senior citizen we are considered "targets" for those locals who would do us harm if on our own. 

May I add my welcome to Cruise Critic as well?

I understand why you might consider yourselves to be "potential targets".  

During a DIY exploration of Funchal, I was seeking the local market place.  The map provided by HAL (and those are never the quality that they ought to be) led me to an area where there was "no market place".  But, it was an area where there were some inhabitants that could decide to be non-tourist friendly from what I was observing.  I decided it was wise to re-trace my steps:  quickly.  

As a teenager with my Mother and brother, we were walking back to our hotel after a Midnight sailing of the S. S. France.  The plan was to hire a taxi to return us to our Mid-Town New York hotel.  After the ship sailed, no taxis were in sight.  We had to walk.  No problem, for awhile.  After several minutes, my Mother noticed a few men following us.  "Pick up the pace", she told us.  My brother asked "Why"?  "Do what I just told you to do", she replied.  At that point, I "picked up" on the situation.  When we got to the hotel, Mother explained to my brother that she (and I) perceived a potential "threat".  It's a lesson that I have never forgotten.  

One does not need to be a senior citizen to become a "target" or a potential one.  

On the other hand, I have toured many places and have felt perfectly safe.  Once, in Hong Kong, I was walking along a sidewalk on Nathan Road near a Mosque when it's service was over.  A wave of humanity began walking opposite to the direction I was going.  Discomforting at the time?  Yes.  Threatening at the time?  No.  It was simply another "travel experience" for me.  Truth be told, I have felt safer in places like Hong Kong, Auckland, Sydney, just wandering around on my own, than I do in my own community at times.  

• Like 2

Sorry I voiced my opinion.  Put downs are never appreciated.  But as a little old lady pushing 80 who has also traveled the world for many, many years (more than 3000 days at sea, various cruise lines) I am no longer charging forth and unwilling to take risks. As a small woman, over the years enough questionable situations have happened that would probably never be an issue for a man.    From now on I will keep my opinions to myself, and will enjoy to the fullest every cruise I book in these trying times.  I'm so happy cruise opportunities are resuming, even with strict protocol, which is not as everyone would like it to be.  It is time to make your choices.  For many it will be to not cruise because of strict protocols as there are plenty of other travel modes out there.  But I am grateful and very happy to be returning to the sea for the holidays after we return home from a long RV road trip in the US, departing in a few days.  Yes, from now on I will keep opinions to myself.  We all have our preferences. 

• Like 11

Cherry cupcake - welcome and PLEASE continue to give your opinions and perspectives on any issue presented here.

Just be aware that some will disagree - and not always politely - but that is the nature of an online discussion group, don’t be put off by it.

• Like 9

4 minutes ago, foodsvcmgr said:

Cherry cupcake - welcome and PLEASE continue to give your opinions and perspectives on any issue presented here.

Just be aware that some will disagree - and not always politely - but that is the nature of an online discussion group, don’t be put off by it.

@CherryCupcake I second this post.  Please share your opinions.  Your opinion very well may add a point of view that some of us didn’t think about and challenge our ideas.  We are never too old to look at something from a new perspective. (At least I hope)

• Like 6

56 minutes ago, CherryCupcake said:

Sorry I voiced my opinion.  Put downs are never appreciated.  But as a little old lady pushing 80 who has also traveled the world for many, many years (more than 3000 days at sea, various cruise lines) I am no longer charging forth and unwilling to take risks. As a small woman, over the years enough questionable situations have happened that would probably never be an issue for a man.    From now on I will keep my opinions to myself, and will enjoy to the fullest every cruise I book in these trying times.  I'm so happy cruise opportunities are resuming, even with strict protocol, which is not as everyone would like it to be.  It is time to make your choices.  For many it will be to not cruise because of strict protocols as there are plenty of other travel modes out there.  But I am grateful and very happy to be returning to the sea for the holidays after we return home from a long RV road trip in the US, departing in a few days.  Yes, from now on I will keep opinions to myself.  We all have our preferences. 

Dear lady. Do not ever stop voicing your opinion.

Freedom of thought and freedom of speech are 2 of the key pillars of democracy. There are many these days who wish to silence people.

It is totally logical and understandable that as a female you feel the way you expressed. You say exactly what you think and exactly what you feel.  You are totally entitled to say what you want - this Key element of democracy.

Customize the travel you want and enjoy cruising and other travel options.

Express your opinion always!

You are an inspiration wowowowowowow!

• Like 5

Two things, you cannot take it personally when someone disagrees with you and you have to have a thick skin to participate in open groups.

But please feel free to express your opinion.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, CherryCupcake said:

Welcome to CC. We don't have a whole lot to talk about these days so things might be a little weird for awhile.  Hang in there!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, CherryCupcake said:

Sorry I voiced my opinion.  Put downs are never appreciated.  But as a little old lady pushing 80 who has also traveled the world for many, many years (more than 3000 days at sea, various cruise lines) I am no longer charging forth and unwilling to take risks.

I am a senior citizen as yourself who also realistically cannot "charge forth and go where angels dare to trod" anymore.  It's an unpleasant reality.  I surely hope that my response to yours was not offensive.  It was meant to be informative and positive. 

A table mate on a recent HAL cruise was a table mate with whom I have sailed before.  Louie is 90.  He's in better shape that I am as his 13 years junior.  Louie does what he can do.  He has recognized his limitations.  I am still trying to accept that I must learn that lesson. 

2 hours ago, ontheweb said:

Two things, you cannot take it personally when someone disagrees with you and you have to have a thick skin to participate in open groups.

But please feel free to express your opinion.

ontheweb's post is so accurate!  I have been "taken to the woodshed" on occasion by others with some of my posts including a small number by the moderators of CC.  

I know what "I think know" and I enjoy sharing what "I think I know" with others on CC.  I am fairly sure what "I think I know" has been helpful to others.  That's why I share "what I think I know".  

I encourage you to continue to participate on this Forum.  I have yet to stop learning from participating on CC.  I think you will find the same.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, CherryCupcake said:

Love your spirit!  Please don’t stop expressing your opinion.  We’re also looking forward to Cruises resuming and are willing to roll with whatever protocols are put in place until things get back to “normal”!  

• Like 4

12 hours ago, CherryCupcake said:

Please keep posting.  I appreciate everyone's opinions and even if I don't agree I seem to always learn something.  Enjoy your road trip.  Would be interested in where you are going.  We get our new travel trailer this week and have a few short trips planned to break it in.  Travel safe and stay well.  

Mary

• Like 2

12 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

I am a senior citizen as yourself who also realistically cannot "charge forth and go where angels dare to trod" anymore.  It's an unpleasant reality.  I surely hope that my response to yours was not offensive.  It was meant to be informative and positive. 

A table mate on a recent HAL cruise was a table mate with whom I have sailed before.  Louie is 90.  He's in better shape that I am as his 13 years junior.  Louie does what he can do.  He has recognized his limitations.  I am still trying to accept that I must learn that lesson. 

ontheweb's post is so accurate!  I have been "taken to the woodshed" on occasion by others with some of my posts including a small number by the moderators of CC.  

I know what "I think know" and I enjoy sharing what "I think I know" with others on CC.  I am fairly sure what "I think I know" has been helpful to others.  That's why I share "what I think I know".  

I encourage you to continue to participate on this Forum.  I have yet to stop learning from participating on CC.  I think you will find the same.   

Thank you for both agreeing with me, and then further elucidating the point I made.

I was recently taken to the woodshed for a post I made about Mexican coca cola being the cause of the virus that I thought was so silly that everyone would take it as satire. I did not pick up my keyboard and leave.

• Like 3