The Daily for Wednesday Aug 26, 2020

richwmn

These are from our last cruise, a southern Caribbean in March/April of 2019. It seems like an eternity ago! 

We went on a HAL excursion to a rum distillery in Martinique. If you ever see this rum, you should buy some!

1460766713_DSC_1135(2).thumb.JPG.9210ef48f330b021a0f34c9870551e7d.JPG

The highlight of the excursion was a hands-on cooking class with Prisca Morjon. She was great fun and the food was fantastic - but we had to work for our supper! But the rum flowed freely and we learned a few new cocktail recipes -

1980119287_DSC_1159(2).thumb.JPG.b05a8bd30664b1ce4598d786fc41a91b.JPG

The distillery grounds were beautiful too- 

DSC_1157.thumb.JPG.6b32148b37432f35efe72fe999123d2c.JPG

DSC_1165.thumb.JPG.f5d97a0f974c10d08801f357a26b638b.JPG

DSC_1167.thumb.JPG.48d8949ef58c832755455751f7879cb4.JPG

• Like 8

3 hours ago, rafinmd said:

A few days ago I posted a sunrise in Saint John, NB.  This is from the same trip.  After Saint John I traveled by train to Montreal and dropped in on my cousin about 20 miles to the south.  This sunrise was taken from his farm, the family homestead since the 1850's.

dawn0826.jpg

Roy

Good morning Roy!! Another fine  picture! 
Again one to paint! Have you ever considered incorporating all your photos of sunrise and sunsets into a book? I would be first to buy!

Denise😊

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Good morning, everyone!   Welcome to the previous lurkers turned posters.   

I don't have a dog of my own, but have enjoyed various family pets over the years.  

Critter is my sister's dog.   He loves to sing with us.  We sit on the couch with Critter in the middle and we all sing.  Well, Critter howls.  My sister reports that he only likes to do this when I am there.  It isn't as much fun with just the two of them.

Below Critter is Moose, another sister's dog.  Moose was the sweetest and gentlest dog ever.  He really liked playing with kids and even ran away once to find some neighborhood kids to play with.  He loved his balls and I taught him to play a form of soccer in the back yard.  

Critter.JPG.e7f5239f47d85717dff1dc604b726404.JPG

DCP_1366.thumb.JPG.5cf529bae1aff9e73c7a9d8e05cdec7a.JPG

• Like 10

3 hours ago, cat shepard said:

Rich & Roy, you both omitted a very important day/reason to celebrate from your posts!

Today we are celebrating “International Thank You Rich & Roy for Making the Daily So Special Day”! 

So my fellow Dailyites- Wherever you are, whenever you toast, please raise your glass to these two gentlemen!

Live long & prosper, gentlemen!
🥂

Absolutely! Cheers!!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Good morning everyone and welcome to those posting for the first time.  By the time I read through all the posts and looked at all the pictures I have forgotten what we are celebrating, drinking, thinking and eating.  😂.  I will join in the to toast to Rich and Roy (I wonder if they have ever met each other on a cruise?) 🥂.   Not everything in our garden is beautiful, DH showed me weeds he found, lurking behind a tall flower - they are almost 6 feet high.  Thinking about those on the care list and a cheer for those who are celebrating.  Have a great Wednesday everyone, stay safe, healthy and dry.  Bring on the vaccine!💉🔬

Edited by gigianne
  • Like 7

2 hours ago, Gsel said:

Roy,

Thanks for including us in your prayers, we certainly need them! We try to keep our sense of humor, it can be a very funny disease if you like to go hunting daily for things. I could also use a cabin steward about now!

This brought back memories. I once spent a couple of hours searching for my DM dentures. I found them in a kitchen drawer, which seemed to make a lot of sense really. Fortunately I love puzzles and a sense of humor does help🙂

• Like 6

3 hours ago, cat shepard said:

Rich & Roy, you both omitted a very important day/reason to celebrate from your posts!

Today we are celebrating “International Thank You Rich & Roy for Making the Daily So Special Day”! 

So my fellow Dailyites- Wherever you are, whenever you toast, please raise your glass to these two gentlemen!

Live long & prosper, gentlemen!
🥂

🌺Good morning  my sister Ann!!!

Add us to the list!! We will be out tonight 
and Paisley to toast to Rich and Roy for all their efforts to make this the best CC blog ever!!  Thanks for the wine information! 
Love  Bindi’s photo!! 7 pm for us to do our toast on the west coast! BUT While I prepare our dinner tonight I can start toasting while cooking between 4-5pm! LOL😉

Paisley on the hunt yesterday at our park

for lizards!!

Stay safe all! 
🌺Dear sister Joy!! Love to you! Enjoy the Mexican restaurant with friends! Hope the hurricane Laura is far from you!

Virtual hugs to my sisters!

Denise😊

image.thumb.jpeg.edcf2a6074f90b35bee6c09b0d8e336c.jpeg

• Like 12

Good morning, all, and thank you Rich and Roy!  Pat is off his morphine today and so we will definitely be toasting Rich and Roy this evening.  I think Pat is on the road to recovery.  😁  The next step will be to find him a chair he can sit in comfortably.  

I am also missing cruising terribly.  I have a lot of photos (30,000 +)  on my computer, which I am presently going through and weeding out duplicates, etc., and so re-living a lot of our old trips and remembering the fun we had.  But it's not the same as being on a ship.  

• Like 11

42 minutes ago, gigianne said:

By the time I read through all the posts and looked at all the pictures I have forgotten what we are celebrating, drinking, thinking and eating

That's my problem too!  Especially when I've had only half a cup of coffee.  😄

I haven't had a dog since my teens, all cats since then.  But DS and DDIL have 2 that they adore and are very well trained 🙂  No photos handy though. 

Our restaurants are open (with limitations) but I'm not ready for indoor dining yet.  So we've been doing all pick-up and today I'm meeting my best friend for lunch mid-way between our towns and we'll do outdoor dining on the patio of the restaurant.  Thank goodness we're still having good weather and can do that.  We've been friends since 4th grade, it really makes me feel old when I add up the years!!  

• Like 8

Good Morning everyone.  Thanks for posting.  It's our 42nd anniversary today and I keep telling Dave we need to be on a cruise!!  Not sure what we will do for dinner, as things are still shut down for indoor dining. (Some places have out door seating but it is still a bit to hot to enjoy that)  We may stop and bring something home from a couple of food trucks that are making some really good food.

Today we have 4 grandsons and a grand dog here, so it is busy. (we have been watching the boys so parents can work)  It will keep us on our toes next week school starts and it is a combination of reduced class size and online learning.........................I will need a cruise.😁

Stay safe and stay well everyone.

• Like 9

THANKS to Rich and Roy for piloting us during our time away from HAL. Definitely toasting to you both today!

To those on the care list, know that you are in our thoughts and prayers.

Welcome to the new posters.

The quote reminds me of the one about by the time you have all the experience you need to be a parent, the kids are grown and left the nest.

I ❤️ the meal suggestion. I'll see what I can do today.

Happy Anniversary @CrabbyPatti

We don't have a dog, but we have 4 granddogs. One in Cairo, 2 in NFLD who were both rescues from Alabama, and 1 in Ontario who is a tri-pawed Berner. I love them all (but of course, since I see the Berner most, he has a special place in my heart.)

118121734_10101549460616528_4142634672460280929_o.jpg?_nc_cat=109&_nc_sid=8bfeb9&_nc_ohc=eSdIy4EJ4ksAX_gUJHI&_nc_ht=scontent.fyyz1-2.fna&oh=730ae86777da3717ddbc14a7ccd348ea&oe=5F6AF4ED

Have a wonderful day. Be well. Stay safe. Be kind.

Edited by Dismomx5
  • Like 11

2 hours ago, Lcubed said:

This brought back memories. I once spent a couple of hours searching for my DM dentures. I found them in a kitchen drawer, which seemed to make a lot of sense really. Fortunately I love puzzles and a sense of humor does help🙂

Speaking of dentures....saw this and thought you would enjoy: 

Bro. James, a retired pastor, had been called at the last minute to fill in that Sunday morning for a preacher friend who’d been rushed to the hospital with kidney stones. Knowing there was a long drive ahead of him, he threw himself together and rushed out the door, barely having time to grab his Bible. The organist was already playing when he walked into the church and that’s when he realized he’d forgotten his dentures. “No worries,” said the deacon seated on the front row beside him. Opening a briefcase, he extracted a set a teeth and said, “Here, try these on.” Bro. James bent low, trying not to attract any attention as he slipped the set into his mouth. “Nope, they’re too tight,” he said, “but thank you for trying.” “Hang on,” said the deacon, “try this other pair.” Bro. James swapped out the sets and whispered, “I believe I can use these.” His sermon went off without a hitch and no one but Bro. James himself and the deacon realized he was preaching with borrowed dentures. After the service, Bro. James wrapped the dentures in several tissues and returned them to the deacon. “I can’t thank you enough for your help. I’ve been meaning to get a new set anyway. Give me one of your cards and I’ll make an appointment.” “Oh, I’m not a dentist,” the deacon told him. “I run the funeral home.”

• Like 4
  • Haha 7

10 minutes ago, CrabbyPatti said:

Good Morning everyone.  Thanks for posting.  It's our 42nd anniversary today and I keep telling Dave we need to be on a cruise!!  Not sure what we will do for dinner, as things are still shut down for indoor dining. (Some places have out door seating but it is still a bit to hot to enjoy that)  We may stop and bring something home from a couple of food trucks that are making some really good food.

Today we have 4 grandsons and a grand dog here, so it is busy. (we have been watching the boys so parents can work)  It will keep us on our toes next week school starts and it is a combination of reduced class size and online learning.........................I will need a cruise.😁

Happy Anniversary!!!!🍾🥂👏👏

So enjoy this special day 

Denise😊

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Cruising-along said:

hat's my problem too!  Especially when I've had only half a cup of coffee.  😄

I haven't had a dog since my teens, all cats since then.  But DS and DDIL have 2 that they adore and are very well trained 🙂  No photos handy though. 

Our restaurants are open (with limitations) but I'm not ready for indoor dining yet.  So we've been doing all pick-up and today I'm meeting my best friend for lunch mid-way between our towns and we'll do outdoor dining on the patio of the restaurant.  Thank goodness we're still having good weather and can do that.  We've been friends since 4th grade, it really makes me feel old when I add up the years!!  

I've been dining on the outdoor seating at my local Panera a couple of times a week for quite a while.  Limited indoor dining was allowed June 12 but I haven't yet done it.

Roy

• Like 5

47 minutes ago, CrabbyPatti said:

Happy Anniversary!

• Like 6

52 minutes ago, CrabbyPatti said:

Happy Anniversary! We just celebrated our 42nd a few weeks ago! Have a wonderful dinner no matter what you decide.

• Like 5

Some pics of "working crew" - these are from Maasdam

549608_10151582174275729_1779604428_n.jpg?_nc_cat=110&_nc_sid=cdbe9c&_nc_ohc=_NdaxgKaJu8AX98EKhg&_nc_ht=scontent-lax3-1.xx&oh=f8a8a6c0b5bad7da3678d0044c682795&oe=5F6B84C4

These are the "Boatmen" hard at work rigging the tender platform. Their official name is Lifesaving Attendant but Boatman has always stuck. They have a sailor background but LSA is a step up between sailor and quartermaster (the guys who "drive" the ship. There are usually four boatmen and they are also the ones who rig (and take-in) the gangway upon arrival in port, as well as rig the loading platforms in the ship's Marshaling Are (mid-ships) where the luggage cages are loaded and off-loaded. The tender platforms "fold in/and out" hydraulically and includes the pre-assembled ladder/steps you see here

563170_10151582136905729_1803474888_n.jpg?_nc_cat=101&_nc_sid=cdbe9c&_nc_ohc=zEsoCwIQpHcAX_nRPHZ&_nc_oc=AQmU5HfRSdXPsAcLmmcwAZmS21t4pLX4_ehL2IIllHBjQSn6ODbM5I4ksKIdHX9VOzw&_nc_ht=scontent-lax3-1.xx&oh=fd037cb340fa5d89cbd3543d6c0d73c3&oe=5F6A449D

3645_10151582136895729_1972778778_n.jpg?_nc_cat=111&_nc_sid=cdbe9c&_nc_ohc=z84lwrtb1jIAX9PgDnd&_nc_ht=scontent-lax3-2.xx&oh=c7529c896f7ec3d3941ea560b2012d84&oe=5F6BBB2A

Training never stops/is ongoing on a weekly basis on the ships, be it a fire drill, abandon ship drill, man overboard (MOB) drill, helicopter evacuation drill, you name it. HAL also has a computer based training program with a lot of those courses mandatory before you are allowed to work. This is a damage control/shoring up drill in Maasdam's Marshaling Area (mid-ships) with, in the 2nd pic, even the captain (Anne Jan Smit) getting involved. This was in the time of the khaki work uniforms, since changed

544709_10151582174455729_1599007684_n.jpg?_nc_cat=102&_nc_sid=cdbe9c&_nc_ohc=SIMBbzokYVYAX9hoNkM&_nc_ht=scontent-lax3-1.xx&oh=134b2da2ded5c68c7fe698acb6881fc3&oe=5F6C9642

Tender drivers are either sailors or quartermasters who have all had to pass a tender driver course. This driver is wearing the summer sailor uniform 

894968_10151583758045729_586414257_o.jpg?_nc_cat=108&_nc_sid=cdbe9c&_nc_ohc=tyu4d8u2XmYAX-qHudJ&_nc_ht=scontent-lax3-1.xx&oh=08f25f4e95d2936c34d62feb009eae2b&oe=5F6B14BF

Another pic of the Marshaling Area (it's used quite frequently due its size and openness, this time during a fire drill. The officer "taking a knee" is Mike, at the time the 1st officer and he is acting in his capacity as incident commander, in HAL's terminology "On Scene Deck." The Nautical (Deck) Dept. and the Technical (Engineering) Dept. switch off being incident commander during drills, the engineering officer being known as "On Scene Engine." Mike has a deck plan and is using a grease pencil to indicate the area of the "fire" as well as the response to it. There are four five-person fire teams onboard, two from the Deck and two from the Technical Dept. so "Deckies" and "Techies," each headed by an officer. The remainder consisting of "troops" from various depts onboard so you could see the tailor with a collateral duty as firefighter, the upholsterer, for sure the two fire attendants, and others. There are four fire stations in strategically located areas of the ship on various decks. The fireteam members dress, just like their counterparts ashore, in turnout gear, a helmet, boots, gloves, and air bottles on their back. As you can imagine, it's a run to their assigned fire station, and dress as quickly as possible, then make it to a staging area where they will get their marching orders from the incident commander. All have attended a certified fire training school ashore and, as said, training is continuous on the ships 

Besides the fire teams, there are a number of other positions onboard which will respond when the fire alarm, goes off, SBCA refill (Self Contained Breathing Apparatus), Fire Hose teams, the Emergency Response Support Team (ERST), Emergency Elevator operators, Medical, Stretcher Team, etc.

338160_10150379540325729_1710680136_o.jpg?_nc_cat=110&_nc_sid=cdbe9c&_nc_ohc=OIwDXXJMWLoAX8exZOh&_nc_ht=scontent-lax3-1.xx&oh=b94442d6caa805c1fa938affc4e2df51&oe=5F6D768F

• Like 10