The Daily for Thursday Aug 27, 2020

richwmn

2 hours ago, VintageGeo said:

Good afternoon, everyone. Thanks to Rich once again for the Daily report and to all who contribute to make it so special. Our thoughts and prayers to those being affected by Hurricane Laura. 

Four years ago today we took an amazing ride from Denali N.P. to Anchorage onboard the McKinley Explorer. It was a beautiful day.

ME1.thumb.jpg.7697b7aa15a41ebe34daad7a6b2797db.jpgME2.thumb.jpg.b789ba2654cd1bb6e910ac1fe3d6daf6.jpg

ME3.thumb.jpg.744b00e47c20983ce9a791e74f63bb4a.jpg

And Denali, in all it's glory...

ME4.thumb.JPG.9544f10952f2f416d94cd276bab7a5aa.JPG

ME5.thumb.jpg.8c50db99fedc1f286bb728f67c7a722e.jpg

Everyone please stay safe, and have a great evening.

Lori & George

How lucky you were to get such clear shots of Denali!

• Like 4

I started reading this about 8:30. But it has got so much interesting photos and information I had to come back. Laundry, going to the post office and fedex deliveries got in my way of finishing until just now. But I will forgive everyone for getting me busy since it is forgiveness day. 
Copper10-8, one of my favorite memories of fire training was when we did the flashover burn to learn the one who ran out throwing up was the macho man who’d been giving us a bad time since women don’t belong on a fire department. 
Prayers for those in need and for all my family here. 

• Like 11
  • Haha 1

The actual fire fighting practical involved going into the fire dragon all suited up and the instructors demonstrating a flashover fire with flames actually raging above your head, an attention getter. The heat, even fully suited up, was incredible. We then had to go inside in teams of four, while alternating being the nozzle man, and putting out fires on the bridge and in the engine room.

The last day involved taking the pass-fail written exam as well as the flight home down the coast in the late afternoon. Ten days later, I flew to Miami and the next day I boarded my ship - the beautiful Maasdam - in Ft. Lauderdale/Port Everglades for the first time as crew. For the first week, I was under the tutelage of an experienced SECO to learn the finer ropes. After that week, I was on my own

207646_10150222961985729_1584066_n.jpg?_nc_cat=106&_nc_sid=cdbe9c&_nc_ohc=ilm-rKs9xkIAX-3oN5I&_nc_ht=scontent-lax3-2.xx&oh=fb35b876a921dc700fdb65981917c9c0&oe=5F6E7374

207410_10150222962055729_6348663_n.jpg?_nc_cat=110&_nc_sid=cdbe9c&_nc_ohc=gyYuV_3lC8cAX9k021x&_nc_ht=scontent-lax3-1.xx&oh=836c1a06d401324eaae9dfec5202a952&oe=5F6D6E93

205690_10150222962100729_1660481_n.jpg?_nc_cat=110&_nc_sid=cdbe9c&_nc_ohc=QJj-KfgZkUoAX8yqVKN&_nc_ht=scontent-lax3-1.xx&oh=ee0ea61a551f49a6d1459a97ba3b2eb4&oe=5F6C2DA3

206946_10150222961910729_2085389_n.jpg?_nc_cat=111&_nc_sid=cdbe9c&_nc_ohc=7W2CYdP8210AX-er6uv&_nc_ht=scontent-lax3-2.xx&oh=d52be1798dbb09e7cb3cc907978dcb6d&oe=5F6BF59D

Sailors learn shipboard firefighting. | 130314-N-BT887-526 S… | Flickr

• Like 10

30 minutes ago, lindaler said:

Copper10-8, one of my favorite memories of fire training was when we did the flashover burn to learn the one who ran out throwing up was the macho man who’d been giving us a bad time since women don’t belong on a fire department. 

Typical

Roy

• Like 1

Good afternoon, thanks for the Daily!  I'm not as late as yesterday, but I think I'm just as tired!  Had an early morning thanks to the 8 month old, then had the luxury of having him fall asleep in my arms later on.  After lunch we went to the "Nutrien Wonderhub" which is a children's museum where there are tons of hands-on things for kiddles to enjoy.  There were people stationed at every display making sure to sanitize everything before the next "family unit" came to use it.    Now we're looking after the 2 little guys while their parents head out for dinner.

I like Forgiveness Day - every day should be Forgiveness Day; if you don't forgive someone, you let them take up way too much real estate in your brain and heart.  Dinner tonight is going to be whatever the 5 year old requests - at this point it looks like leftover porcupine meatballs and spaghetti, with a side of raw broccoli and dip.  And wine.

@Copper10-8 I love that you call the firefighters "hose draggers" - our local force calls them "basement savers".  Loving all the photos of sunsets, sunrises and plants that folks have in their surroundings - it's nice to see that others appreciate nature as well.

Prayers for everyone who needs them - especially those in the path of Hurricane Laura, and even for those who don't think they do.  Smiles and good wishes to those with reasons for celebrations.  Stay well, be safe!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

Sometime in the last 12 hours or so the Rotterdam left Rotterdam, traveled quite far North before turning around and the new destination is Scheveningen anchorage.  Just a guess but I wonder if it's a sea trial.

Roy

• Like 1

9 hours ago, kplady said:

Hope "my" hurricane isn't too damaging to those in its path - and I apologize for them naming it after me!!

Have a wonderful day everyone!

Laura

Whew! I’m glad it was you! (And not me!) 😃😇

~TC

AKA “Laura”

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Sometime in the last 12 hours or so the Rotterdam left Rotterdam, traveled quite far North before turning around and the new destination is Scheveningen anchorage.  Just a guess but I wonder if it's a sea trial.

Roy

Probably; test ride for her new owners.....and that would be a sea trial 😉

• Like 1

2 hours ago, St Pete Cruiser said:

Thanks for everybody's comments and pics.  

I take my cap off and give a moment of silence to our Maasdam and she leaves her good name behind.

20190510_215710.jpg

Thanks for posting this photo of the Maasdam.

Can see the wonderful big balcony we enjoyed earlier this year.  Little did we know that would be our last cruise on board this beautiful  ship.

• Like 4

Thanks for the "daily", and the mention of another NZ wine.

Yesterday was an historic day for our country with the judge sentencing the Christchurch terrorist to life imprisonment  with no parole, this is the first time such a sentence has been given in this country.  Some members of the affected families during their victim statements  in court said that they forgave the shooter.

Today is Daffodil Day here,  a fund raising day for the Cancer Society.

Lovely to see all the photos, thank you all.

• Like 8

3 hours ago, St Pete Cruiser said:

Thanks for everybody's comments and pics.  

I take my cap off and give a moment of silence to our Maasdam and she leaves her good name behind.

20190510_215710.jpg

She was my first HAL ship and I got to enjoy her one more time - a year before her leaving. She got me hooked. 😄

• Like 3

On 8/27/2020 at 8:42 AM, richwmn said:

@Copper10-8 -- Would you happen to know the destination of Oosterdam? Both MT & CM list the destination as YA BLT but neither has an actual location and I have not been able to find it.

Thanks

Rich

Rich, have not been able to find out which port uses the YA-BLT code however, having said that, yesterday she (Oostie) showed CR-PAS (Costa Rica Puntarenas) and today PA-BLB (Panama - Balboa) She appears to be getting ready for a northbound PC transit. The new "mass anchorage" destinations in the Carib for many cruise ships are fast becoming Curacao (Willemstad) and Barbados (Bridgetown) 

• Like 1