First Time on Fred Olsen

memfris

Bolette is not in service yet and I did not realise it was possible to book her cruises at this stage. So no one can answer your question, but you will find some basic details on Fred's website and they say more  details will be added.  She was HAL's Amsterdam.

Can you please tell me how you have booked on her as Fred had said people booked on the ships which are to be retired will be allocated cabins before the cruises go on general sale?  Or have you booked a cruise on Boudicca?

Edited by tring

1 hour ago, tring said:

Bolette is not in service yet and I did not realise it was possible to book her cruises at this stage. So no one can answer your question, but you will find some basic details on Fred's website and they say more  details will be added.  She was HAL's Amsterdam.

Can you please tell me how you have booked on her as Fred had said people booked on the ships which are to be retired will be allocated cabins before the cruises go on general sale?  Or have you booked a cruise on Boudicca?

I have no idea how they are handling this but I just went on to the website to look at the cruise I have booked for next June. Once you go to the front page of the cruise, a box pops up to say that if you book this cruise, you will be travelling on Bolette, our new flagship. When trying to do a dummy booking, the cabin we have booked comes up as available...

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Britboys said:

I have no idea how they are handling this but I just went on to the website to look at the cruise I have booked for next June. Once you go to the front page of the cruise, a box pops up to say that if you book this cruise, you will be travelling on Bolette, our new flagship. When trying to do a dummy booking, the cabin we have booked comes up as available...

Well whoever is running Fred at present is clearly totally incapable of running a proverbial in a brewery!!!

I have tried a mock booking and our cabin is not available, but have you seen recent postings on a well used social media site.  They have announced an intention to start sailing on 3 ships next spring and Balmoral before that, but in between cruises have not been cancelled.  There is also another video by Fred Jnr with mention of the new cruises for Bolette going on sale 7th September and Borealis on sale 15th September ( I think they are the dates shown).  So maybe your allocation has already been done (we are on Black Watch so perhaps will hear later.  Have you seen the latest comments on the thread about the new ships, which has a lot to do with my assessment given at to top of this post!! 

Edited by tring
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, tring said:

Well whoever is running Fred at present is clearly totally incapable of running a proverbial in a brewery!!!

I have tried a mock booking and our cabin is not available, but have you seen recent postings on a well used social media site.  They have announced an intention to start sailing on 3 ships next spring and Balmoral before that, but in between cruises have not been cancelled.  There is also another video by Fred Jnr with mention of the new cruises for Bolette going on sale 7th September and Borealis on sale 15th September ( I think they are the dates shown).  So maybe your allocation has already been done (we are on Black Watch so perhaps will hear later.  Have you seen the latest comments on the thread about the new ships, which has a lot to do with my assessment given at to top of this post!! 

Yes, was just reading the other thread. As I think you know, my other concern is whether my cruise will run to its original itinerary through the Kiel Canal... Lots of info suggests it won't but I guess we could all be wrong...

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Britboys said:

Yes, was just reading the other thread. As I think you know, my other concern is whether my cruise will run to its original itinerary through the Kiel Canal... Lots of info suggests it won't but I guess we could all be wrong...

I have been investigating Bordeaux for our cruise and appears that the new ships have too deep a draft to dock in the centre (like Fred's brochure said Black Watch would), that is according to the Bordeaux port authority and what looks like reliable data on the new ship(s).  Fred is very naive if he thinks people will continue to support his view that we will only get an improved cruise on what was originally advertised.  I am not saying they will necessarily be bad cruises, but cannot be considered totally like for like.

Regards my previous post, I did realise that there were no terrace balcony cabins or suites available for our cruise, which would seem unlikely at this stage - but of course he cannot offer any non smoking cabins on the new ships if he continues with his smoking policy, which he is standing by at present.........

On 8/27/2020 at 3:16 PM, memfris said:

Just booked our first Fred sailing for May next year. What can we expect? Onboard the Bolette.

I cant give you any specifics for the Bolette but Fred Olsen has (or at least had on the smaller ships) a really nice friendly atmosphere onboard. The smaller ships mean you tend to meet the same people more often so you get to know those travelling with you and the staff get to know your personal preferences. The staff are generally very friendly and helpful.

The entertainment is low key but enjoyable. Fred still tend to have live music around the ship at different times to enjoy while having a drink  and a conversation. There are shows at night in a main theatre, the usual music and dance, comedians etc. They also have a British night when some wear red white and blue. They will tell you about any themes in advance.

Guests tend to be a bit older than on other lines and the cruise offering is geared towards quieter tastes so no belly flop competitions in the pool😀.

There are formal nights and the dress code is pretty well adhered to but alternatives to main dining if that is not your thing.

Food onboard is very good, nothing too fancy but some interesting choices and decent vegetable. The lunchtime buffet's are higher quality than some other companies but your view on that will depend on who you have sailed with before. They do for example an Indian day and a seafood day.

Drinks prices are reasonable and there are all inclusive packages which are cheaper if purchased before sailing (and limited to a set number of people per voyage). 

They do some extra pay items like every other ship eg elegant afternoon tea.

As the ships are a bit smaller (though this new one is bigger than the others) you get on and off much quicker. Please note you don,t get lunch on the first day and embarkation can be mid to late afternoon.

Anything specific you want to know about Fred, someone will be able to help you I’m sure.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Eglesbrech said:

I cant give you any specifics for the Bolette but Fred Olsen has (or at least had on the smaller ships) a really nice friendly atmosphere onboard. The smaller ships mean you tend to meet the same people more often so you get to know those travelling with you and the staff get to know your personal preferences. The staff are generally very friendly and helpful.

The entertainment is low key but enjoyable. Fred still tend to have live music around the ship at different times to enjoy while having a drink  and a conversation. There are shows at night in a main theatre, the usual music and dance, comedians etc. They also have a British night when some wear red white and blue. They will tell you about any themes in advance.

Guests tend to be a bit older than on other lines and the cruise offering is geared towards quieter tastes so no belly flop competitions in the pool😀.

There are formal nights and the dress code is pretty well adhered to but alternatives to main dining if that is not your thing.

Food onboard is very good, nothing too fancy but some interesting choices and decent vegetable. The lunchtime buffet's are higher quality than some other companies but your view on that will depend on who you have sailed with before. They do for example an Indian day and a seafood day.

Drinks prices are reasonable and there are all inclusive packages which are cheaper if purchased before sailing (and limited to a set number of people per voyage). 

As the ships are a bit smaller (though this new one is bigger than the others) you get on and off much quicker. Please note you don,t get lunch on the first day and embarkation can be mid to late afternoon.

Anything specific you want to know about Fred, someone will be able to help you I’m sure.

You have given a good overview of Fred but I would just like to correct the last part.  For the last few years embarkation usually starts between 11.00 am and 12.00 and lunch is available on boarding either in one of the restaurants or the buffet. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, nb125 said:

You have given a good overview of Fred but I would just like to correct the last part.  For the last few years embarkation usually starts between 11.00 am and 12.00 and lunch is available on boarding either in one of the restaurants or the buffet. 

Thanks for that, your update will be helpful to the op. Which departure port?

We usually travel form Rosyth and have been a bit later boarding as they have to bus people from the check in to the ship which all takes time. 

Oh sorry I have no knowledge at all of cruising from Rosyth, I suppose it could be different there.  We mainly sail from Newcastle and Liverpool but I know from others that this new system applies at Dover and Southampton as well.  It means that if you have an early check in you are allowed to board before your cabin is ready and go straight to lunch.  This seems to bring Fred in line with most other cruise lines who do it this way.

7 minutes ago, nb125 said:

Oh sorry I have no knowledge at all of cruising from Rosyth, I suppose it could be different there.  We mainly sail from Newcastle and Liverpool but I know from others that this new system applies at Dover and Southampton as well.  It means that if you have an early check in you are allowed to board before your cabin is ready and go straight to lunch.  This seems to bring Fred in line with most other cruise lines who do it this way.

That’s helpful to know, I hope it does/ has started to apply for Rosyth.

The op is more likely to be using one of the ports you are quoting with the new ship so your information is more relevant.

Yes Fred have been doing lunch on embarkation day for a few years now.  Not so sure about a very early embarkation time though - not something we have experienced, but will depend on the cruise and the sailing time.  They give embarkation times in deck order from top to bottom, so suite passengers have embarked soon after midday in our experience.

27 minutes ago, tring said:

Yes Fred have been doing lunch on embarkation day for a few years now.  Not so sure about a very early embarkation time though - not something we have experienced, but will depend on the cruise and the sailing time.  They give embarkation times in deck order from top to bottom, so suite passengers have embarked soon after midday in our experience.

Not from Rosyth as it’s not that long since we were on (2018) but I am really very happy now if they are. We have had lunch on back to backs and been just a few tables in the dining room with other b2bs. The first we saw coming onboard were around 1 pm with the last much later, the piper was playing and some were still boarding. The shuttle bus from the terminal takes forever, you could actually walk it but they won’t let you.

It’s a good move on their part as a lot of people complained about it if they had a long journey and late dinner.  We just had a pub lunch and drove over afterwards in the past.

The ships are here at the moment, they make a sad sight stuck in the Forth, we were down in that direction at the weekend and saw them.

Thanks for the correction, I would not like to mis lead a new passenger.

On 9/3/2020 at 6:40 AM, Eglesbrech said:

Not from Rosyth as it’s not that long since we were on (2018) but I am really very happy now if they are. We have had lunch on back to backs and been just a few tables in the dining room with other b2bs. The first we saw coming onboard were around 1 pm with the last much later, the piper was playing and some were still boarding. The shuttle bus from the terminal takes forever, you could actually walk it but they won’t let you.

It’s a good move on their part as a lot of people complained about it if they had a long journey and late dinner.  We just had a pub lunch and drove over afterwards in the past.

The ships are here at the moment, they make a sad sight stuck in the Forth, we were down in that direction at the weekend and saw them.

Thanks for the correction, I would not like to mis lead a new passenger.

You seem to be an insider, as a true Hal customer 70plus cruises, do you think there will be a band in the Ocean bar and/or up in the Crow's nest..

On 9/3/2020 at 11:32 AM, Eglesbrech said:

1 hour ago, Sir PMP said:

You seem to be an insider, as a true Hal customer 70plus cruises, do you think there will be a band in the Ocean bar and/or up in the Crow's nest..

Fred usually has pianists in what he calls the observation lounge.  There will be more casual music elsewhere which is suitable for disco dancing sometimes and from what showed at the weekend (looked like work in progress which should not have been visible), it may be the Ocean bar.  The Morning Light Pub generally has a singer/guitarist, but no dance floor there and is a more relaxed, lower volume base.  They usually do ballroom dancing between the shows in the show lounges, but do not know how that will work on the new ships - may be elsewhere.  Then there will be a disco from about 11pm or so, usually where the casual dancing is held.  

Details are being uploaded and may be on the website by the end of the week for Bolette (Amsterdam).

Edited by tring
  • Thanks 1

On 9/7/2020 at 7:35 PM, Sir PMP said:

Sorry, I have been away for a few days so just picked this up.

My experience is very much the same as Trings helpful reply above.

All of the music is low key and at a volume where you can still have a decent conversation which is a great plus in my opinion.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1