Hotels in Rome

tidefan

2 hours ago, tidefan said:

I am new to Celebrity cruise line, can anyone tell me what hotels they typically use in Rome for pre-cruise?

Grand Hotel Palace Rome.   The hotel and a description of the package is listed on their website.  Hotel is nice.

DW and I always fly in a week early and explore on our own.  Trains in Europe are simple and  DIY packages are easy to assemble or purchase direct.  Celebrity adds about 50% to the price

My best advice is to ask yourself what it is you are looking for with a hotel.  If you don't care about cost and you just want everything tied up into one neat package with the cruise line handling it all, then you will be happy using the cruise line packages--hotels and transfers.  But, if you are looking to put together your own pre- or post-cruise visit, you can do much better...

The Grand Hotel Palace is up near the Villa Borghese...There are a lot of larger chain hotels up there--because the area pretty much allows for it...it's a busy part of town and away from many of the attractions...Celebrity will also sell you transportation to the port--but that comes at a hefty price as well...and in a big bus on THEIR schedule...

For me, I prefer to stay in the area near the Piazza Navona, Campo di Fiore and Pantheon...lots of nice smaller hotels in the area, many that can be had at a reasonable price.  (Last couple of visits, we stayed at the Residenza Farnese, this next trip, we've booked the Navona Theater Hotel.  There are many other choices in the area as well).  This area is very close to many of the prime tourist sites...and lots of great restaurants.  To get to the port in Civitavecchia, we'll use a shared shuttle from NCC, though we've also used trains and even rental cars in the past.  In the end, we have greater control over our pre- or post-cruise stay...and have really enjoyed staying in smaller, more convenient hotels...

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

41 minutes ago, Bruin Steve said:

My best advice is to ask yourself what it is you are looking for with a hotel. 

For me, I prefer to stay in the area near the Piazza Navona, Campo di Fiore and Pantheon...lots of nice smaller hotels in the area, many that can be had at a reasonable price.  (Last couple of visits, we stayed at the Residenza Farnese, this next trip, we've booked the Navona Theater Hotel.  There are many other choices in the area as well).  This area is very close to many of the prime tourist sites...and lots of great restaurants.  To get to the port in Civitavecchia, we'll use a shared shuttle from NCC, though we've also used trains and even rental cars in the past.  In the end, we have greater control over our pre- or post-cruise stay...and have really enjoyed staying in smaller, more convenient hotels...

Hi Bruin Steve

This was interesting and a good process. We will (hopefully) be in Rome in November 2021 and will go a few days pre-cruise to explore. I was thinking of a hotel in one of the locations you mentioned, so good to hear there are options. We only need a clean room with an en suite bath, probably can't drag our bags up too many flights of stairs. Breakfast included for a reasonable price would be good and a nice bar would also be good. Any thoughts?

Also, we were thinking of using the train to the port, but I dread dragging our bags around, especially up and down stairs. Can you say more about the shared shuttle (and explain what NCC is? I can't puzzle it out!). We have dragged our bags around Sydney, Southampton, and Athens, so we can manage that if we have to walk a few blocks. Can you share the name of the service you used? And perhaps share why you did this instead of the train? I am guessing the pickup/dropoff is easier, but maybe not.

Thanks for any insights,

ML

NCC is a shuttle/car/tour company that we've used before to get from Civitavecchia to Rome (There are others as well).  Prices are reasonable.  They have shared shuttles and private cars--depending on the route and the time you're going--between FCO Airport, the port at Civitavecchia and Central Rome.  Trains are cheaper--but the logistics suck--managing your own luggage and getting from the port to the train station and the train station to your hotel.  The shuttle gives you EASY door-to-door service

http://www.nccplus.it/

As to hotels, as I've said, we've been very happy with Residenza Farnese--but due to some other logistical factors in booking, we decided to try the Navona Theater--which gets outstanding reviews across the internet.  I recommend using TripAdvisor.com to research hotels and reviews. You can compare prices...and the Map View will show the locations.

1 minute ago, Bruin Steve said:

NCC is a shuttle/car/tour company that we've used before to get from Civitavecchia to Rome (There are others as well).  Prices are reasonable.  They have shared shuttles and private cars--depending on the route and the time you're going--between FCO Airport, the port at Civitavecchia and Central Rome.  Trains are cheaper--but the logistics suck--managing your own luggage and getting from the port to the train station and the train station to your hotel.  The shuttle gives you EASY door-to-door service

http://www.nccplus.it/

As to hotels, as I've said, we've been very happy with Residenza Farnese--but due to some other logistical factors in booking, we decided to try the Navona Theater--which gets outstanding reviews across the internet.  I recommend using TripAdvisor.com to research hotels and reviews. You can compare prices...and the Map View will show the locations.

Thanks for the quick reply and the link. Just so I'm clear--they pick up at your hotel? Do you have any idea of the times that are best to use a shared shuttle? I'll take a look at Trip Advisor. We've also been using bookingdotcom, which has a mp feature too.

Thanks again.

Yes, they will pick up or drop off right at your hotel.  Generally, we just submit the rides we need and they will tell us if there's availability for a shared shuttle.  For example, last time, from the ship to our hotel in Central Rome, they offered a shared shuttle--since they had a lot of people getting off the ship and looking to do the same (Of course, they would pick up at the ship, then make two or three stops to drop people off at different hotels).  From our hotel to the Airport, we had a private ride...harder to match up people at varying times.  Either way, we thought the price was reasonable for the convenience of door-to-door service.

2 minutes ago, Bruin Steve said:

Yes, they will pick up or drop off right at your hotel.  Generally, we just submit the rides we need and they will tell us if there's availability for a shared shuttle.  For example, last time, from the ship to our hotel in Central Rome, they offered a shared shuttle--since they had a lot of people getting off the ship and looking to do the same (Of course, they would pick up at the ship, then make two or three stops to drop people off at different hotels).  From our hotel to the Airport, we had a private ride...harder to match up people at varying times.  Either way, we thought the price was reasonable for the convenience of door-to-door service.

Excellent, thanks.

Lh Suites Hotel or Hotel dei Barbieri are both boutique hotels in an unbeatable location - Largo Argentina which is in the middle of everything you want to see. Both  also arrange transportation from the airport and to the port.

Otherwise Bob‘s Limos is a great transfer service which we used many times.

tidefan,

Me too!!!!

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

There are a couple of features on Cruise Critic you should explore.

The Ports of Call boards have a great deal of information about the logistics of self booking hotels and transportation. Every cruise line offers pre and post stays that come at a great cost with transfers that are not always comfortable or convenient.

One way to help you plan everything is via the Roll Call for your sailing. It's the best tool for planning your cruise. We have often found that many of your fellow cruisers end up at the same favorite hotels. This also makes it easy to join forces to engage the transfer to Civitavecchia. 

I hope you take advantage of all the Cruise Critic features. For the most part your fellow sailors are willing to help make your voyage flawless.

ROLL TIDE

16 minutes ago, Miaminice said:

Lh Suites Hotel or Hotel dei Barbieri are both boutique hotels in an unbeatable location - Largo Argentina which is in the middle of everything you want to see. Both  also arrange transportation from the airport and to the port.

Otherwise Bob‘s Limos is a great transfer service which we used many times.

Thanks for the info, we'll check it out.

I am sooo excited for this cruise, I hope it actually goes 🤞

9 hours ago, NoWhiners said:

Can you say more about the shared shuttle

You might want to check this company also -- we've used them several times - from airport to hotel in Rome, to the port and back, from hotel to airport --

shared/private options, 

https://www.civitavecchiacabservice.com/

Also highly recommended near Largo Argentina -- Residenza Argentina....

13 hours ago, tidefan said:

I am new to Celebrity cruise line, can anyone tell me what hotels they typically use in Rome for pre-cruise?

Four to consider at various price points -

All will give a great stay and are in excellent locations

Albergo del Senato

Albergo Santa Chiara

Hotel Navona,

Hotel Singer Palace

I agree with the advice given.  Unless you’re the type who wants every detail taken care off, take the time to find a hotel and arrange your own transport. You’ll have a better experience and save lots of $.

As far as hotels I’ve stayed 3 times at Hotel Londra and Cargill.  Reasonable, clean, has elevator and free breakfast.  Near Terminni (so?) train station.

We’ve used Bob’s limo as well, often finding fellow passengers on our roll call.

Albergo del Senato is wonderful....right next to the Pantheon, ask for a room on the 2nd or 3rd floor overlooking the square and the Pantheon, what a spectacular way to wake up, open the curtains and have that as your view.....the way my 1st morning in Rome began and the memory is as clear now as it was when it happened 10 years ago.....can't way to go back again...

• Like 1

I have been to Rome many many times - for cruises, for weekend trips, business etc. and TBH I would NOT recommend a hotel near Termini Station or even one of the expensive luxury hotels around Republicca (also near Termini).

A location in the lower part of Rome (like Largo Argentina, Navona, Pantheon etc.) is a much much better starting point to see all the regular go to places on foot PLUS the proximity to Trastevere or some other places offers great options for dinner and authentic Roman nightlife.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

We used RomeCabs for our transfer to the port. They were clean and efficient. We shared a shuttle (it's an SUV, not a bus) because there were just 2 of us - we knew that was a possibility, but the rate was the same either way.

One thing to make sure when you are researching hotels is exactly where their lobby is. I've found that most of the hotels I've stayed in or looked at staying in in Italy (Florence and Rome - so granted it's limited) have their front desk on the second floor (they say 1st). But they all will generally have a bell if you need assistance with luggage.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, dani negreanu said:

You might want to check this company also -- we've used them several times - from airport to hotel in Rome, to the port and back, from hotel to airport --

shared/private options, 

https://www.civitavecchiacabservice.com/

Also highly recommended near Largo Argentina -- Residenza Argentina....

Thanks, I'll check it out.

Thanks to everyone for all the great help.

Try the Hotel Barocco and talk with Christiano the Resident Manager for more information.  We love it there.

They usually have a package that gives you a free pick up at the airport then a transfer to the cruise port at a very reasonable price.

The hotel is small but the service is 5* and located on the Plaza Barberini.  Go to  www.hotelbarocco.com.