Hotels in Rome

tidefan

10 hours ago, RICCruisers said:

If you are looking for convenience, Hotel Santa Chiara can’t be beat. We had a room overlooking the bridge over the Grand Canal and spent some time watching visitors schlepping their luggage over the bridge. It is steps from the Express Bus from the airport and right across from one of the main stops for the water busses that take you everywhere. I wouldn’t call it quaint, but it is very convenient. 

image.thumb.jpeg.65d512bf5a57558f69074417997f05f8.jpeg

Thank you so much for the pic and the explanation re your 'choice' of hotel in Venice.  Convenience was paramount in our decision and with the help of CC posters in this thread we had a lot to chew on.  Decided on the Hotel Chiara.  Cost is more than the Principe, however the good access to the cruise port and airport was very important;   also, we have a long drive to another part of Italy during our stay and access to roads was a consideration. It's a big decision when you don't know where you're going in another country.  A big thank you to Cruise Mom42 and Bruin Steve and Lazz and Tapi for taking the time to help as well....most appreciated.

Edited by oceangoer2

51 minutes ago, oceangoer2 said:

Thank you so much for the pic and the explanation re your 'choice' of hotel in Venice.  Convenience was paramount in our decision and with the help of CC posters in this thread we had a lot to chew on.  Decided on the Hotel Chiara.  Cost is more than the Principe, however the good access to the cruise port and airport was very important;   also, we have a long drive to another part of Italy during our stay and access to roads was a consideration. It's a big decision when you don't know where you're going in another country.  A big thank you to Cruise Mom42 and Bruin Steve and Lazz and Tapi for taking the time to help as well....most appreciated.

oceangoer2 - Happy to help. Our room had a view of the Grand Canal and was very comfortable.

One suggestion is if you plan to take the Peoplemover to the port. Buy your ticket the day before and wait to go to the ship. There was a “crush of people” at about 10:00 all trying to gain access some with tickets and others that had to buy tickets and no staff to direct the traffic. Also, there is a significant walk to the ship based on the location of your ship once you exit the Peoplemover. If we do it again we will pay for a taxi. There are better ways to try and save a few dollars/euros. 

33 minutes ago, RICCruisers said:

oceangoer2 - Happy to help. Our room had a view of the Grand Canal and was very comfortable.

One suggestion is if you plan to take the Peoplemover to the port. Buy your ticket the day before and wait to go to the ship. There was a “crush of people” at about 10:00 all trying to gain access some with tickets and others that had to buy tickets and no staff to direct the traffic. Also, there is a significant walk to the ship based on the location of your ship once you exit the Peoplemover. If we do it again we will pay for a taxi. There are better ways to try and save a few dollars/euros. 

Thanks for the tip.  We're ending our cruise in Venice.  I'm assuming everyone takes the 'people mover' a certain distance, then walks or takes a cab?  The people mover is a paid transportation method from the cruise port? Just answered my own ?.....looked it up on Google so now I understand..... or can you take a cab the entire distance from ship to hotel?  Departing Venice via Marco Polo airport so a cab at that point is possible?  So many questions...sorry for that.......I really appreciate the help CC posters provide.

Edited by oceangoer2

27 minutes ago, oceangoer2 said:

Thanks for the tip.  We're ending our cruise in Venice.  I'm assuming everyone takes the 'people mover' a certain distance, then walks or takes a cab?  The people mover is a paid transportation method from the cruise port? Just answered my own ?.....looked it up on Google so now I understand..... or can you take a cab the entire distance from ship to hotel?  Departing Venice via Marco Polo airport so a cab at that point is possible?  So many questions...sorry for that.......I really appreciate the help CC posters provide.

We began our cruise in Venice.  I will let others discuss ending in Venice.  I would "assume" there are cabs available from the port to the hotel as you disembark the ship.  If you are asking about getting from the hotel to Marco Polo, the ATVO Express Bus from Piazzale Roma to the airport is very convenient.  You board right across from the hotel and it is a non stop straight to Marco Polo. The cost is about 8,00 Euro for the one way trip and takes about 20 minutes + or - based on traffic.  Here is a link to a good website that explains the bus process.

https://europeforvisitors.com/venice/articles/venice_airport_buses.htm

When we sailed out of Venice on Silhouette several years ago we stayed at the Hotel al Ponte Mocenigo. It was wonderful.

After arriving at the Venice airport, we walked down to the water with our luggage and caught a Vaporetto which stopped near the hotel. The next morning the hotel proprietors called a water taxi service and made reservations to pick up us, and friends we were sailing with, directly from the hotel to the ship on the day of embarkation. The water taxi stopped at the people mover and the ship was right there! It was all so easy and made it one of our most memorable trips. 

Edited by C-Dragons

8 hours ago, oceangoer2 said:

Thank you for the excellent link....read them all.

You might want to check Hotel Fontana (San Zaccaria stop, 3 stars, value for money), a mere 3 mins walk from San Marco --

https://www.hotelfontana.it/en/

Moreover, you can take the Alilaguna Blu line right from the pier to San Zaccaria stop, and from this stop to the airport. No bridges to cross, no stairs to climb, 3 mins walk from the stop.

This line is geared towards travelers to and from the pier/airport, with staff taking care and helping with luggage.

https://www.alilaguna.it/en/lines/linea-blu

On 9/2/2020 at 12:39 PM, Bruin Steve said:

For our upcoming post-cruise, we will be staying at the Hotel Olimpia:

https://www.hotel-olimpia.com/

...which I find to be charming enough in and of itself... and VERY convenient...

I've stayed there - fantastic.

Very convenient location.  Excellent service.  Easy to walk to (with luggage) from P Roma.

19 hours ago, Dsciorti said:

We stayed at the St Regis Rome. I know that is typically out of most individuals price range but I highly suggest it. One of the best experiences.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We have stayed at the St. Regis Rome and loved it! Elegant, sumptuous and luxurious! Just what we needed for 2 days prior to our cruise! We used our SPG (now Marriott Bonvoy points) to offset the cost of a suite and a connecting room (for our then teenage kids.)  If any CCers want to use the points, this is a great hotel to splurge!

We also splurged at the Gritti Palace in Venice! (Also now included with Marriott) That was certainly a treat as well.  Having dinner at their Club del Doge Restaurant overlooking the Grand Canal was amazing and unforgettable!  AHHHHHHH, Memories...

Pam

Edited by Dr. Pam

On 8/28/2020 at 3:01 AM, PORT ROYAL said:

Four to consider at various price points -

All will give a great stay and are in excellent locations

Albergo del Senato

Albergo Santa Chiara

Hotel Navona,

Hotel Singer Palace

We stayed at Hotel Navona last time.  Very nice people. Hotel is very modern with a ton of nooks and crannies to store things. My recollection is that they don't have any hot items for breakfast.

M

Thank you all for the suggestions for hotels in Rome.   I am booked on a repositioning cruise on Carnival next August that ends in Civitavecchia, and I had been debating about a post-cruise stay in Rome or taking the train to Florence, which I  have never been to, for a few days.   I wrote down all the hotel names mentioned in this thread, checked out the websites, and became convinced to stay in Rome post cruise.  My previous time in Rome was brief, before and after a Med cruise years ago on the Galaxy, and there is so much to see.  I will save Florence for another visit.  

I figure odds are no better than about 50/50 that my European cruise will actually happen next year, but the research is fun and lifts my spirits.   And CC members are the best source of hotel information.   😀

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...