Required ship's tours in future?

comcox

10 hours ago, Hawaiidan said:

You bet......Is Canada open yet ?     Heck drive the Alaska Hiway to Denali....    Visit canyon lands and grand canyon,   Drive route 66..  Gettysburg... Carlsbad Caverns....  Mt Rainier,  Glacier, Yellowstone, Grand Teton... Black Hills,  Mesa Verde....... If you havent been..... now is the tims    

the great escape moab-vernal yellow stone 235.JPG

Hey, Dan, thanks for including Gettysburg in your list of locations! 😉

On 8/31/2020 at 12:36 AM, the more ports the better said:

This is very inaccurate information.  I volunteered for the Pfizer study and have received the vaccine.  Our study group received an RNA vaccine which is 100% effective in phase 1 and phase 2, we are 40,000 people in phase 3, still testing at 100% efficacy.

I receive my booster (2nd vaccine) on Sept 10 to boost my immunity from a few years to life long immunity.  My antibodies will be tested at that visit and reported to the FDA.  Aside from a few people having reactions in phase 1 while they were figuring out dosages (nothing life threatening or fatal) the worst reaction is a sore arm similar to a tetanus shot.

The hope from CDC and FDA is to have the vaccine out in the next few weeks before flu season.  I’m sure Pfizer hopes to have it out ASAP as they invested a lot of money and the sooner they get it out, the more profitable it will be.  Every day costs them millions.

Normal sailing should resume by the end of the year if everyone complies and gets vaccinated.

Not everyone who cruises with O lives in USA

• Like 1

12 hours ago, CintiPam said:

Hey, Dan, thanks for including Gettysburg in your list of locations! 😉

There are places every American needs to visit in their life....Normandy, Omaha beach   Gettysburg   Smithsonian museum of America history and Arlington cem.      

A lot of comments to the topic: future ships’ tours in this thread are not really comments that belong here,  in my opinion.

it started with questions, whether Oceania would allow individual tours, or only mandatory cruise ship bubble tours......and now people write about trips to different places in the US or to getting a vaccine.

Have a nice weekend everyone....and lets cross fingers for individual tours also allowed in the future.

kind regards from Denmark

( I too love land trips in the US and other places, by the way 👌🏻)

• Like 2

On 10/21/2020 at 12:31 PM, Hawaiidan said:

You bet......Is Canada open yet ?     Heck drive the Alaska Hiway to Denali....    Visit canyon lands and grand canyon,   Drive route 66..  Gettysburg... Carlsbad Caverns....  Mt Rainier,  Glacier, Yellowstone, Grand Teton... Black Hills,  Mesa Verde....... If you havent been..... now is the tims    

Reading your email made me think of the Johnny cash song "I have been everywhere"

My late husband and I have done both independent tours and ship tours. Oceania’s and Regent’s tours became our preference. Now alone, I’ve continued with the ship tours and have found them very good.  Please don’t look at them as a negative experience. Take advantage of their tours. Of course some will be better than others, but that occurs on independent tours as well. The ship won’t sail if a sponsored tour is not back on time. 

• Like 1

Yes according to FDR  ship's tours will be required  for  at least 60 -90 days when sailing resumes

Then it will depend on circumstances & port requirements if required longer

Makes sense to me

Masks required in public places

Ship will start sailing at 50 % capacity  when they get the go ahead

Stay safe

On 10/21/2020 at 9:31 AM, Hawaiidan said:

the great escape moab-vernal yellow stone 235.JPG

Dan, Canada is not open yet. Border is closed till November 21. The closure will probably be extended.  You can drive to Alaska, but may not stop in Banff or any other tourist destination on your way to Alaska or vice versa.  Several American citizens have been fined and sent back to the States for not following the guidelines

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hawaiidan said:

There are places every American needs to visit in their life....Normandy, Omaha beach   Gettysburg   Smithsonian museum of America history and Arlington cem.      

I've missed Gettysburg out of that group, but I grew up at Shiloh, so I'm quite familiar with Civil War battlegrounds and cemeteries. The rest I've been to. 

I'd add The Grand Canyon, The Arizona monument, 911 Memorial, Air & Space Museum, The Arch and many others. Places I still want to get to are Yellowstone, Yosemite and the Rock N Roll Hall of Fame. 

1 hour ago, LHT28 said:

Yes according to FDR  ship's tours will be required  for  at least 60 -90 days when sailing resumes

Then it will depend on circumstances & port requirements if required longer

Makes sense to me

It doesn't make sense to me.

Unless it's only a bus tour without getting off the bus. Otherwise once you start your city walking tour or any other local visit or stop at the gift shop you are mixing with locals just like you would if your went off on your own.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

For at least the next 6 - 12 months  there will be countries where it is deemed too risky due to Covid for most cruise lines to operate to, even with ship only tours.

On the other side of the coin, there will be other countries who will take the view that if Covid is still such a risk that ship's only tours are required, then they will not even approve the port visits in the first place.

Add these two factors together and I don't think we are going to see many of the itineraries we are used to seeing before late 2021 / early 2022.

Edited by Tranquility Base
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

Unless it's only a bus tour without getting off the bus. Otherwise once you start your city walking tour or any other local visit or stop at the gift shop you are mixing with locals just like you would if your went off on your own.

There is mixing with locals and mixing with locals.  With an organized tour the ship has control of just how much mixing you are doing.  Organized ships tours are one of the 72(?) conditions that are required in order for the CDC to lift the no sail order.  The ships know it is not ideal, but the ships want to sail even if the conditions are less than ideal. 

2 hours ago, ORV said:

I've missed Gettysburg out of that group, but I grew up at Shiloh, so I'm quite familiar with Civil War battlegrounds and cemeteries. The rest I've been to. 

I'd add The Grand Canyon, The Arizona monument, 911 Memorial, Air & Space Museum, The Arch and many others. Places I still want to get to are Yellowstone, Yosemite and the Rock N Roll Hall of Fame. 

Other civil war places are good...however Gettysburg is the high water mark... the pinnacle of the entire war that the all the resources of both North and South were brought to bear.... No other battle had so much ridding on its  outcome and Picketts charge  was crux of the battle... the critical moment in the entire 4 years war.... The outstanding visitor center and tour is un-equaled displaying and explaining  our American heritage.

Edited by Hawaiidan

1 hour ago, Paulchili said:

I guess they will be not be visiting some places locals are at

Probably like the MSC model  that is being used  now in Europe

Travelling in a "bubble"  

not for everyone   but I guess those willing to cruise will have to abide by the rules

I will wait 😉

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LHT28 said:

I will wait 😉

I think many will wait. I also believe in waiting:

1.  Many will never sail again;

2.  Some of our favorite cruise lines will go under during the wait;

3.  Previous cruise experiences are like ancient history. Leisure suits and disco aren’t coming back in our lifetime, neither are many of the once “ normal “ experiences.

Live in the past; save your money and wait! The nursing homes will suck it up faster than the cruise lines! You get to choose!

8 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

Live in the past; save your money and wait! The nursing homes will suck it up faster than the cruise lines! You get to choose!

Another way to look at it is if you live it up now and get unlucky and part of the 225000+ unfortunate ones you won’t have to worry about nursing home expenses.

You get to choose. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

I think many will wait. I also believe in waiting:

1.  Many will never sail again;

2.  Some of our favorite cruise lines will go under during the wait;

3.  Previous cruise experiences are like ancient history. Leisure suits and disco aren’t coming back in our lifetime, neither are many of the once “ normal “ experiences.

So you're suggesting we spend our money on cruises that will leave us disappointed?  That's better?

4 minutes ago, Silver Sweethearts said:

So you're suggesting we spend our money on cruises that will leave us disappointed?  That's better?

I am incapable of deciding what might leave anyone  “ disappointed”. Some might leave the French Laundry filling they had the most incredible meal of their lives. Others might leave disappointed having exactly the same meal. I have seen some here post that food aboard Oceania is the best they’ve ever had in their lives. I merely see those comments as an indication of how limited their prior dining experience has been.

I travel purely for the ports. Whether a port visit, either private or ship excursion, adequately meets my expectations of the  Port is a personal thing.

16 hours ago, KS&JW said:

There is mixing with locals and mixing with locals.  With an organized tour the ship has control of just how much mixing you are doing.  Organized ships tours are one of the 72(?) conditions that are required in order for the CDC to lift the no sail order.  The ships know it is not ideal, but the ships want to sail even if the conditions are less than ideal. 

If the ships know that the conditions are less than ideal they should charge us less.  A sliding scale downward until they get back to what we had in the past. Just seems fair.

3 hours ago, RJB said:

If the ships know that the conditions are less than ideal they should charge us less.  A sliding scale downward until they get back to what we had in the past. Just seems fair.

I have no desire to cruise during this transition time. (In fairness, cruising is not my main way to vacation so easy for me to not do it.) However, many are biting at the bit.  There is no need for them to lower prices with all this pent up demand.  Starting with only one ship at 50% capacity, they will find enough people who will take the product that is offered.  Especially since that is the only product on the table.  It is not like you can go to Azamara and they will let you do anything different.  

Fair?  Nothing about this whole situation is fair. 

Edited by KS&JW
  • Like 2

On 10/21/2020 at 9:43 AM, LHT28 said:

lots of places to see in the USA

And Canada!!  My first cross-country trip of  Canada was in 1964 and we've been back a number of times since.  Wonderful people and fabulous scenery, cultural events, etc.  Hey,  Canada even has major cities!! How about that??!!

Mura

Oops, obviously I forgot about the part that Canada doesn't want U.S. travelers yet ...

Edited by Mura
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

The Canadian border will be officially closed for visitors  until individual Countries are able to substantially reduce their new cases of COVID. 

I also suspect the EU will impose restrictions as there cases increase as well.

Edited by GICNJC
Typo

On 10/23/2020 at 4:59 AM, RJB said:

It wont happen but watch for the specials there are some good ones out there..

Jancruz1