Required ship's tours in future?

comcox

2 hours ago, Jancruz said:

It wont happen but watch for the specials there are some good ones out there..

Jancruz1

I did not think it would really happen but could always hope.  We will see how special they are.  Just do need to get back to being on a quiet ship.  Stay safe.  

In all my years of cruising (40) I've only taken one ship's tour.  HOWEVER I just booked Fabulous Fjords on Marina, 6-25-2021 and opted to take the OBC/Shorex package offered by O.  It's a combo OLife since I'm cruising solo.  With it I get half of the OBC or $300 and half of the shorex or 3, instead of the $600 obc or 6 shorex if two persons were booking.  Today I chose my three O shorex with the total cost of the three at $557.  I'll be looking into private tours and other tours offered by O as time draws nearer.

All in all, I think I did ok in choosing this way and I'm happy with it.

Donna

6 hours ago, GeorgesGal said:

In all my years of cruising (40) I've only taken one ship's tour.  HOWEVER I just booked Fabulous Fjords on Marina, 6-25-2021 and opted to take the OBC/Shorex package offered by O.  It's a combo OLife since I'm cruising solo.  With it I get half of the OBC or $300 and half of the shorex or 3, instead of the $600 obc or 6 shorex if two persons were booking. 

Are you sure you are getting the  Excursions & the OBC?

Usually you choose one  of the perks

it states

"a FREE amenity of your choice and much more! "

A question for your travel agent to be sure

Maybe it's something special for solos, they deserve it with having to pay double. But it would seem if this was an option two people traveling together could split it up that way also.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, LHT28 said:

Are you sure you are getting the  Excursions & the OBC?

Usually you choose one  of the perks

it states

"a FREE amenity of your choice and much more! "

A question for your travel agent to be sure

Yes, I'm positive.  Yesterday I chose my three shorex with $000.00 cost (I have the e-mail copy from O), and today I received the new invoice with the $300 OBC noted.  When you figure it out, it's still receiving only half of what two people could have received, but it's still better than getting $300 abc OR three shorex.  I guess half a loaf is better than a quarter of a loaf, No?

Donna

1 hour ago, GeorgesGal said:

Yes, I'm positive.  Yesterday I chose my three shorex with $000.00 cost (I have the e-mail copy from O), and today I received the new invoice with the $300 OBC noted.  When you figure it out, it's still receiving only half of what two people could have received, but it's still better than getting $300 abc OR three shorex.  I guess half a loaf is better than a quarter of a loaf, No?

Donna

If there are 2 people in the cabin, they would get a total of 6 shore excursions with O Life.  Or they could get a $600 OBC. So as a solo you're getting the same amount of benefit as 2 people in the cabin.  It sounds fair though because as a solo, you're paying a premium. That's how it's worked in the past for us.  It's good to know that they're allowing you to choose a combination of shorex and OBC. 

Enjoy the cruise and the ship's shore excursions. You mentioned that you've only done one.  We have been on quite a number of them and found the vast majority to be very well done.  I can only think of one I've been on that I regretted.  

2 hours ago, GeorgesGal said:

Donna

well good news  for you 

Do you also get the beverage package ??

1 hour ago, robandlil said:

Any news from anyone about mandated ships excursions if you want to get,off the ship?

A probability for the  at least 90 days  after the ship start sailing again maybe longer depending on the Covid issue  then

but  they would need port cities  to allow ships to dock there for ANY excursions to take place

JMO

23 hours ago, LHT28 said:

A probability for the  at least 90 days  after the ship start sailing again maybe longer depending on the Covid issue  then

but  they would need port cities  to allow ships to dock there for ANY excursions to take place

JMO

Personally I think it will be a lot longer then 90 days but that’s because I think the virus is with us until mid 2022.  It won’t take many positive cases to really screw up the whole restart so lines are going to be extra careful. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KirkNC said:

Personally I think it will be a lot longer then 90 days but that’s because I think the virus is with us until mid 2022.  It won’t take many positive cases to really screw up the whole restart so lines are going to be extra careful. 

well I do hope  things are better before mid 2022  or there will be no cruise lines in business & a lot of other businesses will be gone also

• Like 1

well I do hope  things are better before mid 2022  or there will be no cruise lines in business & a lot of other businesses will be gone also

Don't see how they could last that long.  Quite sad. 

1 hour ago, RJB said:

Don't see how they could last that long.  Quite sad. 

To address Lyn’s point and this. Just finished corresponding with tour guides we had set up for our January cruise. Told them that IF the ship sails we would be limited to ship only tours. That I was looking at rescheduling for 1/28/22, and hoped to use them then.

Response from a couple was “ You May want to wait a few years to come! If we have little to no tourists for a year, more businesses will be shuttered and businesses boarded up! “ One told me “I have vans and buses to pay for and no income. All my employees are already gone. My business will  be gone by next summer. “ It will take years for any infrastructure to actually rebuild. Their countries are facing economic catastrophe.

The truth may well become some of the third world countries may sink lower than third world! Travel Options that took decades to develop in some of these locals may be gone for years. I received an email from an upscale Bordeaux hotel and restaurant  I was supposed to have stayed in during August. They are closing permanently and wanted to thank me for past patronage. That’s France, not even quite 3rd world! 

It’s not just the cruise lines in trouble. It’s the entire travel and hospitality industry. A vaccine is not going to fix many of the ills of this pandemic. Cruise ship tours only, or not, travelers will be facing an entirely different landscape than pre pandemic. Very possibly so for a very long time!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

In the same vein I got an email yesterday from a glass shop in Murano(Venice) that I had purchased from before to let me know they are struggling but trying to stay afloat(gotta watch your step around there). They mentioned now would be a great time to get a good deal on hand blown glass items.  Even if things started back vendors in that area are going to have reduced cruise ship passengers due to the new size restrictions on ships.

This is happening everywhere that industries have depended on cruise passengers. 

2 hours ago, pinotlover said:

To address Lyn’s point and this. Just finished corresponding with tour guides we had set up for our January cruise. Told them that IF the ship sails we would be limited to ship only tours. That I was looking at rescheduling for 1/28/22, and hoped to use them then.

Response from a couple was “ You May want to wait a few years to come! If we have little to no tourists for a year, more businesses will be shuttered and businesses boarded up! “ One told me “I have vans and buses to pay for and no income. All my employees are already gone. My business will  be gone by next summer. “ It will take years for any infrastructure to actually rebuild. Their countries are facing economic catastrophe.

The truth may well become some of the third world countries may sink lower than third world! Travel Options that took decades to develop in some of these locals may be gone for years. I received an email from an upscale Bordeaux hotel and restaurant  I was supposed to have stayed in during August. They are closing permanently and wanted to thank me for past patronage. That’s France, not even quite 3rd world! 

It’s not just the cruise lines in trouble. It’s the entire travel and hospitality industry. A vaccine is not going to fix many of the ills of this pandemic. Cruise ship tours only, or not, travelers will be facing an entirely different landscape than pre pandemic. Very possibly so for a very long time!

My point exactly.  Again so sad. 

I agree the impact goes well beyond cruising.  It is so sad to see a business that took a lifetime of savings to build gone so quickly.  We gave some money to a Peruvian tour guide recently that we used in early 2020 who was trying to keep his guides employed.

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, KirkNC said:

I agree the impact goes well beyond cruising.  It is so sad to see a business that took a lifetime of savings to build gone so quickly.  We gave some money to a Peruvian tour guide recently that we used in early 2020 who was trying to keep his guides employed.

That was very generous of you

nice that you have the  funds to support others

I am part of a group of mostly Americans that tunes in every Sunday at 1 pm Eastern time to a 1-1/2 to two-hour Zoom webinar called Art Talks Florence taught live by two guides from Tuscany, including the organizing weekly host who is a terrific Florence guide. Although the sessions mostly are centered on Florence, this past Sunday we visited Pisa with a guide from Pisa.  

All sessions are free although the host includes a PayPal donation link in the weekly email and Facebook post regarding the week’s tour topic.  There never is any pressure for money. (A week ago the topic was the Ghiberti doors on the Baptistry in Florence; immediately prior it was the Duomo.)  Attendee numbers vary between 25 and 45.

If anyone has an interest, please contact me for the hosting guide’s Facebook information. Many of the excellent speakers are struggling enormously for any work whatsoever since March.

Edited by CintiPam

Good news everyone!  I just called Oceania’s customer service 1-855-623-2642.  By giving them my reservation number, they were able to tell me that for my itinerary there are no restrictions for “ships tours only”.  My itinerary is May 2021 Canaries to Catalonia”.  And if I need to cancel, the regular cancelation date for full refund is Jan 22, but under travelers assurance, I have until 48 hours before the cruise to cancel and receive taxes paid as a refund and cruise fare paid as a 100% future cruise credit.

I feel so relieved

Thx Robandlil.

This is indeed the news that I wanted!

But of course, we do know, that everything may change....

Being able to cancel with that short notice, I feel confident about the Oceania Cruise, I have booked  for August 21 from Stockholm to Copenhagen...a great Baltic cruise, which I really look forward to!

Before that I have a May cruise with Azamara....I doubt they have the same great standard
Do anyone know for sure?

20 hours ago, KirkNC said:

We did the same with our wonderful guide in Rio.  It's so sad to hear how they are struggling.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, robandlil said:

Good news everyone!  I just called Oceania’s customer service 1-855-623-2642.  By giving them my reservation number, they were able to tell me that for my itinerary there are no restrictions for “ships tours only”.  My itinerary is May 2021 Canaries to Catalonia”.

Things could change  by May   so do not get your hopes up

Until Covid is  under control  I cannot see the ports allowing people off the ships  without  some control over where they wander

JMO

35 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

Things could change  by May   so do not get your hopes up

Until Covid is  under control  I cannot see the ports allowing people off the ships  without  some control over where they wander

JMO

Agreed and to show how inconsistent the answer can be some passengers on the 2022 world cruise were told it would be November of 2021 before O could answer whether ships tours would be required.

A large question for me is that currently the EU is only allowing a max of seven (7) day cruises. Oceania has sold a lot of Med and Baltic cruises that are far longer for next summer. Many of those people will be making FP long before cruising season resumes in Europe. What happens to all those 10-14 day cruises if they stick to the 7 day rule?