The Daily for Saturday Aug 29, 2020

richwmn

today is More Herbs  Less Salt Day , According to Hoyle Day, and National Swiss Winegrowers Day

AMAZING BUT TRUE ...

If all the salmon caught in Canada in one year were laid end to end across the Sahara Desert, the smell would be absolutely awful.

Meal suggestion for today - Ribbon Salad with Orange Vinaigrette

Wine of the day - Selbach-Oster Riesling Kabinett Halbtrocken Mosel Zeltinger Himmelreich vintage 2015

At Sea Atlantic
Eurodam destination Sint Eustatius eta 9/15
Nieuw Amsterdam destination Fortaleza Brazil eta 9/7
Volendam destination Gibraltar eta 9/8
Westerdam destination Gibraltar eta 9/9

At Sea Indian
Noordam destination Suez Canal eta 9/8
Zuiderdam destination Suez Canal eta 9/8

Balboa Anchorage
Oosterdam

Piraeus
Maasdam

Katakolo
Veendam

Punta Arenas
Koningsdam

Rotterdam
Amsterdam - at Rotterdam Botlek

Scheveningen NL Anchorage
Nieuw Statendam
Rotterdam
Zaandam

0829World.png

Edited by richwmn
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 3

Good Saturday Morning.

Thank you for the Daily Report.

Love your Amazing Fact.  🙂

We had a storm early this morning, lots of thunder and lightning.  We needed the rain.  It's a lot cooler now, today's high is supposed to be 21C (70F) and not humid.

Have a wonderful day.

Stay safe.

• Like 6

Thank you for the daily, and I'm glad you're early.  So true on the salmon and an interesting collection of days.  I have  a busy early morning and will post a sunrise photo in a few hours.

Today's care list:

Family and friends of Summer slope's neighbor

Fatcat's MIL

Mrs Vmax

Mrs Sailingdutchy (Martha) dealing with back issues

Those dealing with wildfires

Rain and relief for Phoenix and much of the southwest

Caregiver Gsel and her DH battling Alzheimers

The Bird in Hand fire chief and son Jason

and Krazy Kruisers and Joe

Today's celebrations and shoutouts:

gigianne’s granddaughter’s birtheay

Front line health workers

Improvement for Pat

Cruising-along’s countdown for a road trip

travelingbums power back

nap-time for the little ones

Parents and grandparents helping kids with school work

I Have A Dream

and Jackie Robinson

Roy

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2

Good Morning, thanks again for the daily.  Sales tax free shopping this weekend.  Two years ago on the Rotterdam we stopped at Charlottetown.  We had another unforgettable excursion, a Fun with Falcons.  I am missing visiting our friends to the north. DH is in the picture and video.

5918B27E-D222-4A14-B164-F02418D6CD27.jpeg

• Like 13

30 minutes ago, Crazy For Cats said:

Good Morning, thanks again for the daily.  Sales tax free shopping this weekend.  Two years ago on the Rotterdam we stopped at Charlottetown.  We had another unforgettable excursion, a Fun with Falcons.  I am missing visiting our friends to the north. DH is in the picture and video.

5918B27E-D222-4A14-B164-F02418D6CD27.jpeg

That was a fantastic excursion.   

• Like 3

It has been a busy couple of days.  I'm at my sister's house on Lake Michigan.  A glorious day on Thursday.  Yesterday we drove up to the Upper Peninsula and did a little hiking around Tahquamenon Falls before heading up to Whitefish Point.  

lower falls 1.JPG

lower falls 3.JPG

lower falls 4.JPG

• Like 16

Good morning Rich.. You were up bright and early. Thank you for the Daily. Very funny quote. I have a little book of "Our Daily Bread" I read when my prayers are complete, so I get my "Daily Double"

Roy I have the cares and celebrations taken care of. Tonight we are going to toast to a great idea of yours:

"Parents and grandparents helping kids with school work"

Good morning Daily-ites and my dear sisters Ann and Denise. We took a nice ride to Georgetown Lake and enjoyed the morning. It was 103 as promised yesterday and looks like another scorcher today (100's) thru next Wednesday. @puppycanducruise sure could use your temp and rain today.

Finally! We get our long awaited bedroom set today! Can't wait!

Wishing all of you a healthy, happy, weekend. Be careful. Wear your mask. Tell those close to you that you love them. Love ya'll!

Two Men and a Little Farm | Gardening humor, Herb garden, Herbs

image.jpeg.494f75dc8e81ccd4cccaef504b0ba7e6.jpeg

173 Best Funny "wine" sayings images in 2020 | Wine, Wine humor, Wine quotes

• Like 15
  • Haha 3

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich! Quite an eclectic mix of days you gathered for us today! Not sure if I have ever tried a Swiss wine. But am happy to celebrate their day.

Morning Dailyites & my Sisters. This is my fifth day with no expected significant rainfall. Perhaps Laura drew all the moisture away from us. Even the humidity is lower & with the onshore breezes walking has been enjoyable. 

Very important Amazing Fact! Dinner at a friend’s tonight. I believe a veggie frittata is on the menu. I am bringing a wine that was suggested last week. I will share, if it is good. I will toast to all the parents & grandparents helping with schooling! So critical this year!

Prayers to all who need our support.

Cheers to all we are celebrating!

Stay well everyone.

Today’s wine is well-rated, with $21.99 the most expensive price I noticed. Not sure if a richer Riesling is less sweet. And notice this wine has less “crunchy stuff”. I really do not like a crunchy wine. @Seasick Sailor, please let me know how your wine garden works out. 

#95 Wine Spectator Top 100 of 2017

It’s richer and less minty than usual but I like the richness in this vintage, which can use a little gras; so anticipate a wine with more apple and less spearmint; crunchy stuff. The parcel is called Heel and it’s to the right of Anrecht, from which one of the great trio of en-bloc wines comes. 

WS93
Wine Spectator
Pungent, with aromas of slate and ripe orchard fruit, this sleek white displays complex flavors of flowers, peach, quince and slate. A hint of chive works into the mix as this remains persistent on the finish. Drink now through 2024.

• Like 9

40 minutes ago, dfish said:

It has been a busy couple of days.  I'm at my sister's house on Lake Michigan.  A glorious day on Thursday.  Yesterday we drove up to the Upper Peninsula and did a little hiking around Tahquamenon Falls before heading up to Whitefish Point.  

lower falls 1.JPG

lower falls 4.JPG

Debbie, I can almost hear the sound of the water!

• Like 4

2 hours ago, puppycanducruise said:

Good Saturday Morning.

Thank you for the Daily Report.

Love your Amazing Fact.  🙂

We had a storm early this morning, lots of thunder and lightning.  We needed the rain.  It's a lot cooler now, today's high is supposed to be 21C (70F) and not humid.

Have a wonderful day.

Stay safe.

Pouring rain on the Michigan side of Lake Huron right now 🙂  Supposed to be a high in the low 70's here too.

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, cat shepard said:

Debbie, I can almhost hear the sound of the water!

Tahquamenon is beautiful, nice pics!.  Hope you checked out the shipwreck museum at Whitefish Point.  I knew the guys who were involved in setting all that up years ago.

Any day in the UP is a good day 🙂

Edited by bouhunter
  • Like 4

Good morning all and a happy Saturday.  It's a celebrating day for us, first time in 8 months seeing our son and his family and celebrating our granddaughters birthday.  🎈🎂 Pizza, wings, butter tarts and ice cream is our menu.  Thanks again Rich for keeping this thread a happy place to “visit” each day and to all those posting.  We will all be like kids in a candy store when we can start cruising again.  Our university (McMaster) is pairing with a British U. to work on a vaccine.  A shout out to them for sure.  My thoughts are with those on the care list and a huge thanks to Roy for your sunrises and for keeping the list.

• Like 10

29 minutes ago, gigianne said:

Pizza, wings, butter tarts and ice cream is our menu.

Butter Tarts! I am so jealous! Even though Minnesota is almost a Canadian Province, you cannot get butter tarts here. It has been almost a year since I had one, I might have to start looking up recipes. 

It's not quite sunrise, but it's still early (for me at least) morning.  July, 2009 - looking east across Deer Bay Lake (Ontario) from our dock -

1626974473_DSC05793(2).thumb.JPG.e0593fb5eb5c2be8597e15d4f9eeb300.JPG

• Like 9

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our morning smile 🙂 

I’m always using herbs over salt 😉 so I’m happy to celebrate the day.

Well, I learned something today.  I didn’t even know that the Swiss had wine growers.  I can’t recall ever seeing a Swiss wine before!

LOL on the quote - that sure would be some smell and a waste of salmon 😉 

Awaiting our remnants of Laura.  We really need the rain so I’ll take whatever wants to come.

Prayers for everyone on our Care list and rejoicing for the shutouts on Roy’s list that he so carefully maintains.

Stay safe everyone and don’t forget your masks.

• Like 7

12 minutes ago, Overhead Fred said:

Butter Tarts! I am so jealous! Even though Minnesota is almost a Canadian Province, you cannot get butter tarts here. It has been almost a year since I had one, I might have to start looking up recipes. 

Fred, look up Mary Berg butter tarts on Google - that is the recipe I use.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Today's sunrise photo comes from the first of my round trip transatlantic sailings, 2012.  I sailed Queen Mary 2 New York to Southampton, transferred to Dover, and returned to New York on the Symphony.  This was August 28 from Queen Mary 2:

dawn29.jpg

Roy

• Like 11