The Daily for Saturday Aug 29, 2020

richwmn

6 minutes ago, ger_77 said:

BTW, I have a great recipe for Butter Tart Slice that I use regularly, as I can't make pastry to save my neck.  Let me know if you want it.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

Oh, please share.

I love the tarts, but a "slice" sounds enticing.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, puppycanducruise said:

Oh, please share.

I love the tarts, but a "slice" sounds enticing.

BUTTER TART SLICE

2 cups flour

1 cup sugar

1 egg

1 tsp baking powder

1 cup softened butter or margarine

Combine well and pat 3/4 of the mixture into a greased 9x13 pan. 

Make the filling:

2 cups raisins (my family loves more, so I use 3 cups)

1/4 to 1/2 cup sugar (or a "scant" half cup)

2 Tbsps flour

1 cup boiling water

Juice of 1/4 lemon

Combine all except the lemon juice in a saucepan over medium heat, stirring and cooking until bubbly and thick.  The liquid should be fairly transparent.  Remove from heat, stir in lemon juice, and pour over the base in the 9x13 pan.  Top with remaining crumb mixture (I always crumble it on, rather than trying to spread it evenly).  Bake at 350 for about 30 minutes or until brown.

That's it - super easy, and it's always a hit.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, puppycanducruise said:

Thanks for the recipe Gerry.  I don't like raisins (please don't hate me) so I would like to substitute pecans, do you think that would work?

Yes, they certainly would; it would make it more like a pecan pie slice!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Cruise Suzy said:

@ger_77  Thanks. 

You're welcome; I make a lot of this at Christmas and give it away on little seasonal plates that I pick up from the dollar store.  A few slices of this on a red or white paper doily, with a bow on top makes a great little gift for friends and neighbours.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 6

33 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

My family is Canadian heritage and I have never heard of butter tarts.  Perhaps they did not make it to Quebec.

Roy

LOL Roy on them not making it to Quebec.

They did indeed but the Québécois have other things they like too so they may not be as common in some families but I can assure you they are there 😉 

• Like 6

Good afternoon, we are celebrating the anniversary of our first sea day. Not so long ago we learned of two of the best things life has to offer.

328477441_Seaday.thumb.jpg.67b221fc0639a679bb409d8f58b9b4ba.jpg

And if anything could top that...

Yum.thumb.jpg.49594581eb610daa5605cd75993c9af6.jpg

May we all be enjoying balconies and bread pudding with vanilla sauce again very soon...

Lori and George

• Like 13

Good Morning/afternoon.  

Just finished morning errands and a ride. Today went through the redwoods (which I haven’t done in a long time). It was cooler and there was a bit of fog- now long gone. And it smelled fabulous.

Ribbon salad is on tonight’s menu, so thank you Rich. Will match it with Costco chicken.

80947FCF-30CD-4E1F-9B78-2CB5E9F43BAC.jpeg

• Like 11

2 hours ago, summer slope said:

John, why were 2 southwest pilots required on the ship?

Because when one sleeps or rests (they each get a cabin, usually behind the bridge) the other an be found on the bridge. For northbound ships, they usually come onboard at Kake pilot station in Frederick Sound, stay onboard for the calls at Juneau and Sitka, then disembark on the southbound portion at Ketchikan and fly back to Kake. Not a bad gig!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, VintageGeo said:

Good afternoon, we are celebrating the anniversary of our first sea day. Not so long ago we learned of two of the best things life has to offer.

And if anything could top that...

Yum.thumb.jpg.49594581eb610daa5605cd75993c9af6.jpg

May we all be enjoying balconies and bread pudding with vanilla sauce again very soon...

Lori and George

OOOh, bread and butter pudding!  DW & I had bread and butter pudding today from Marks and Spencer (UK company with great food products).  Well we looked at each other and said 'nope'  'not a patch on HAL bread pudding'.   Oooh I miss it so much!

• Like 5

So now need to ask  if any of our American friends are familiar with Nanaimo bars,  an equally wonderful dessert bar?   

Perhaps we have time on our hands to bake during the winter! 

image.thumb.jpeg.8dee737d9ea6ee672a17e0b22055e385.jpeg

Edited by bennybear
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, Copper10-8 said:

Because when one sleeps or rests (they each get a cabin, usually behind the bridge) the other an be found on the bridge. For northbound ships, they usually come onboard at Kake pilot station in Frederick Sound, stay onboard for the calls at Juneau and Sitka, then disembark on the southbound portion at Ketchikan and fly back to Kake. Not a bad gig!

Thanks for posts with pics!  I got to meet Capt Peter Bos on the Oosterdam doing the Alaska southbound cruise from Seward.

He announced we would do as much scenic cruising as possible, which we did between Ketchikan and  Campbell River.

• Like 6

55 minutes ago, bennybear said:

So now need to ask  if any of our American friends are familiar with Nanaimo bars,  an equally wonderful dessert bar?   

Perhaps we have time on our hands to bake during the winter! 

image.thumb.jpeg.8dee737d9ea6ee672a17e0b22055e385.jpeg

Nope, never heard of them either but they look scrumptious!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Live4cruises said:

Hawaiian Pizza is a favorite at our house.  In fact, enjoyed some tonight!  I was looking forward to meeting Poutine and Beaver Tails this year, but alas, no.

I would NEVER have guessed Hawaiian Pizza came from Canada.

Roy

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, bennybear said:

My mom always made Nanaimo bars, and I found them to be too sweet, so I'd scrape out the yellow middle layer and eat the top and bottom.  LOL

42 minutes ago, bennybear said:

Found this

image.thumb.png.d9740f4d0b50ad9dc019966168233b27.png

Did you know you can still buy Cuban Lunch bars at Safeway/Sobeys stores in the west? 

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 5

1 hour ago, ger_77 said:

My mom always made Nanaimo bars, and I found them to be too sweet, so I'd scrape out the yellow middle layer and eat the top and bottom.  LOL

Did you know you can still buy Cuban Lunch bars at Safeway/Sobeys stores in the west? 

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

What are Cuban Lunch bars? The child bride's, born there (Cuba, not Safeway 😉) interest got peaked 🙂 Ever had a Cuban sandwich?  We have a pretty good Cuban restaurant - Havana Mania - in a neighboring city to which we make semi-frequent deposits 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1