ALASKA for MAY 2021 ?

Ashland

On 9/3/2020 at 2:40 PM, Budget Queen said:

I’m in Alaska now on a 10 day trip.    I would not count on anything.  Some businesses have permanently closed

I don’t see a quick improvement on the curtailing of the virus.  It’s extremely lax here-  many aren’t wearing masks nor is it encouraged or enforced.   I just got notice Alaska is back on the NY list for mandatory 14 quarantine when I get back home.   

Not good news. Thanks for reporting. Where are you hanging out?

Edited by Coral

We were optimistic enough to book a May cruise to Alaska (our 5th).  We will wait and see.  In fact, a roll call has not been started for our cruise yet.  I guess that everyone is watching and waiting.  We had two 3 week trips this year cancelled, so we remain hopeful.

21 hours ago, Coral said:

Not good news. Thanks for reporting. Where are you hanging out?

I drove about 1400 miles,  and due to the short trip-   just went between Denali and Seward.   with a side trip to Kenai.      

I got home yesterday-  and now am under a 14 day quarantine  😉    

Following is the highlight of the trip-   FIRST time for me,  with full unobstructive view of Denali from Eielson.     Never have I seen this treasure like this in the park.  ( over 40 trips in 🙂 🙂  )   

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Budget Queen said:

750F7177-B853-47AE-82E0-03F45659A0D5.jpeg

Beautiful.  How was the wildlife sightings?  My contact in Juneau has been sending me videos of great events:  orcas, bubble net feeding, lots of humpbacks and playful Stellar Sea Lions that came right up to her boat.  This year is rough for many of us.  Thanks for sharing a piece of Alaska with us.

1 hour ago, Italy52 said:

Beautiful.  How was the wildlife sightings?  My contact in Juneau has been sending me videos of great events:  orcas, bubble net feeding, lots of humpbacks and playful Stellar Sea Lions that came right up to her boat.  This year is rough for many of us.  Thanks for sharing a piece of Alaska with us.

Of course,  wildlife sightings are always changing and unpredictable.   🙂   But,  Denali lost a large amount of moose due to a harsh winter,  so sightings were slim compared to some years.   This was the year of the squirrel -  which are like prairie dogs.  😉    A lot of bears-  power eating,   only 1 lone caribou.   no dall sheep (first time)     Kenai Fjords,  had loads of puffins, cormorants,  eagles,  sea otters.  harbor seals,  dalls porpoise,  a couple humpbacks.  I went out twice.   

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Budget Queen said:

Of course,  wildlife sightings are always changing and unpredictable.   🙂   But,  Denali lost a large amount of moose due to a harsh winter,  so sightings were slim compared to some years.   This was the year of the squirrel -  which are like prairie dogs.  😉    A lot of bears-  power eating,   only 1 lone caribou.   no dall sheep (first time)     Kenai Fjords,  had loads of puffins, cormorants,  eagles,  sea otters.  harbor seals,  dalls porpoise,  a couple humpbacks.  I went out twice.   

Very interesting, thanks for the response I appreciate it.

We were due to have taken an Alaska cruise this July 2020 - so this spring I accepted the FCC and rebooked for July 2021 - plus we also moved about 3 hotels (paid for) to 2021 around the cruise too.  So a few thousands pounds down if we don't get to go - I am not sure if everyone will let us postpone again for 2022 if we need to? Nor do I have any confidence that our annual trip insurance - due to run out this October, will be interested in covering this - shame.

8 hours ago, worldtraveller99 said:

We were due to have taken an Alaska cruise this July 2020 - so this spring I accepted the FCC and rebooked for July 2021 - plus we also moved about 3 hotels (paid for) to 2021 around the cruise too.  So a few thousands pounds down if we don't get to go - I am not sure if everyone will let us postpone again for 2022 if we need to? Nor do I have any confidence that our annual trip insurance - due to run out this October, will be interested in covering this - shame.

Let's hope   Alaska will be able to open up to visitors next year.    I did have a wonderful visit, and the lack of crowds was a real highlight.    The 3 Princess Lodges I passed,   didn't even have a sign.    So huge losses all the way around.    Denali was down from over 100 buses /day to 5 the day I was there (photo above).    So many people out of work and some businesses permanently closed.   

For me, I couldn't stay away from Alaska.   And I'm glad I was able to support the vendors I used.   

• Like 1

We had a July 2021 Alaskan cruise planned but with all the uncertainty for next year we decided to cancel it and have planned an Alaskan land cruise only for July 2021 instead.  I'm very excited because we loved our short land tour years ago and have always wanted a chance to return. Now will get to spend more time on land!  I think the coronavirus will still be an issue next summer, but hoping that by travelling independently our trip will be less affected by it and won't be dictated by what happens with cruising. Most of the reservations I have made have generous cancellation policies and I also purchased travel insurance with 'cancel for any reason'. Good luck everyone with your travel plans.

I am hoping to get up there the first part of March for the start of the Iditarod. Will be testing my blood thinner out as the last time I did that it was -50F at night. Snow machined along the race to the third checkpoint then circled back. Don't think I will be doing that again!

• 2 weeks later...

We just booked for June 2021.  I'm hopeful, but I will also fully understand if it is cancelled.  This will be our 5th trip/cruise to Alaska so I would just move it, if need be.  It is our first on Royal Caribbean though.  All 4 previous cruises (with 3 tours to Denali) were on Princess.  I'm excited to go out of Seward and spend some time pre-cruise in that area.  My fingers are crossed.

• Like 1