Is anyone concerned that AQSC will go bankrupt efore cancelled passengers get their future cruises or refunds?

ann1bell

Maybe I am being paranoid but wonder if people on canceled cruises will actually take their future cruise or receive a refund? I know a refund will take several months.

What is your opinion? Too bad there is not a crystal ball. I am hopeful everything works out for everyone. 

I agree with the above posters. It crossed my mind——but then I realized that doing a river cruise in the US is not much different than taking a road trip:

no planes

no middle of the ocean

no thousands of folks on the ship

Other benefits include not having to find restaurants and hotels every day!

We have transferred our cruise on the Ohio River to June of 2021. I surely hope AQ will be cruising by then. We are looking forward to the Duchess—just 166 passengers!

3 hours ago, diplomats said:

Apropos this topic, does anyone have an explanation for AQSC disappearing from the Alianz covered vendors list?

While I was on the phone with my AQSC agent this morning, I asked her about that. She said that was an error and they are actually still on the list. I've worked with her enough over the past year that I have a high confidence in her statement. Cancelled last summer's cruise and I'm re-booking another for 2021.Take it as you will.

BTW, Victory Cruise Lines (which AQSC owns) remained on the list.

John

Edited by TinCan782

3 hours ago, TinCan782 said:

While I was on the phone with my AQSC agent this morning, I asked her about that. She said that was an error and they are actually still on the list. I've worked with her enough over the past year that I have a high confidence in her statement. Cancelled last summer's cruise and I'm re-booking another for 2021.Take it as you will.

BTW, Victory Cruise Lines (which AQSC owns) remained on the list.

John

Got an email today from my travel agent. Attached was the email she got from Allianz after she was informed they no longer cover AQSC.

I went on the Allianz website. Down the bottom is a link to covered suppliers. It states that the list is complete as of "today" (so any given day).

Here is the first few listed under cruise lines - 

Cruise Lines  Alaskan Dream Cruises  All Discovery Cruising  AMA Waterways  American Cruise Lines  Azamara Cruises  Blount Small Ship Adventures  Carnival Cruise Lines 

Note - American Queen Steamboat Company is not there.

My TA also said she was notified by Allianz that this includes Crystal.

Anyway - Allianz is returning my full premium.

But back to the original question - I am very concerned and seriously considering cancelling my October 2021 cruise. If they go under I am out almost $10,000. If they declare bankruptcy it is gone. I would not be happy.

Anyone have any other info about this?

• Thanks 1

As of right now (1:30 pm EDT on 9/3) AQSC is not on the list dated today of covered cruise lines for Allianz.  This is worrisome. 

However, as previously mentioned, Victory Cruise Lines IS still on the list and they are owned by the same entity.  Go figure.

A couple of weeks ago we made a $2k deposit payment on a cruise next summer that was on hold.  I mentioned a FCC letter that we had previously received and to my surprise, they credited $500 to our credit card.  I thought it would be a discount at final payment time.  I thought that was a good sign.

Yes we also were concerned about that possibility, but we took a leap of faith and accepted our TAs offer of a future cruise credit for our aborted Mississippi River Cruise. I remain optimistic that things will open up and there will be a lot of pent-up demand and yes, maybe even MORE people will opt to river cruise within the US than go out to sea in the bigger ships, although I still hope to do both. 

I have tried to give AQSC the benefit of the doubt and uncertainty but for the home office to state that "they are actually still on the list" as reported by TinCan earlier is disturbing.  It is easy enough to verify that AQSC is NOT on the Allianz list. Giving out misinformation is not attractive. 

• Like 1

Personally I think bankruptcy is a distinct possibility for any of the cruise lines.

As far as AQSC, our cruise was cancelled last Spring and I had to wait out the full 90 days before receiving a refund and even then I had to call them after the 90 days had passed and push for the refund. 

Until things settle down I'm not putting anymore money upfront on what really amounts to a gamble, regardless of the company.  There's just no way of knowing the true financial strength of any of the cruise lines and they're all taking big hits right now.

• Thanks 1

Excerpt from article:

"Lawless adds that, if continuing operations under Chapter 11, a company will usually seek authorization from the court to keep their commitments to their customers. In other industries, this has allowed retailers to continue to honor gift cards and service warrantees, even while bankrupt. For the cruise industry, it means your cruise line could continue to embark passengers, sail and even honor vouchers, while reorganizing through the courts.

"It doesn't strictly follow the bankruptcy code, but the creditors involved want to get paid the most," says Lawless. "And they know that their best chance is for the company to continue to provide services to their customers."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

For what its worth, I had a long talk with my TA this afternoon.  She told me that she has had a number of clients requesting refunds in lieu of FCC from AQSC and that her experience thus far is that AQSC has come through with the refunds.  It seems the 90 day delay is pretty much the rule, but in the end the refund is made for the full amount of the original payment.  When I mentioned "chargeback" (the remedy for non performance under the Fair Credit Act) she was quick to advise against that course of action as it would "inevitably delay" the refund. Guess those of us seeking refunds will just twiddle our thumbs until November.

Also of note, she said bookings for second quarter 2021 and into 2022 are very active, noting that Viking is sold out for its initial sailings on the Mississippi in 2022. 

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, diplomats said:

For what its worth, I had a long talk with my TA this afternoon.  She told me that she has had a number of clients requesting refunds in lieu of FCC from AQSC and that her experience thus far is that AQSC has come through with the refunds.  It seems the 90 day delay is pretty much the rule, but in the end the refund is made for the full amount of the original payment.  When I mentioned "chargeback" (the remedy for non performance under the Fair Credit Act) she was quick to advise against that course of action as it would "inevitably delay" the refund. Guess those of us seeking refunds will just twiddle our thumbs until November.

Also of note, she said bookings for second quarter 2021 and into 2022 are very active, noting that Viking is sold out for its initial sailings on the Mississippi in 2022. 

Twiddling my thumbs...waiting for mine!

• Thanks 1

I am a little bit.  They want 90 days to return my payment for a cruise they canceled.  I understand the cancellation but don’t understand the need for 90 days.

I’ve done two cruises with them and neither itineraries were done as scheduled.  In fact, one cruise on the Mississippi was changed to the Ohio one week before.  A different departure port meant a 12th hour flight change.  The time onboard and crew are fine but the company is rigid and not great at problem solving.

2 hours ago, Dupont941 said:

In fact, one cruise on the Mississippi was changed to the Ohio one week before.  The time onboard and crew are fine but the company is rigid and not great at problem solving.

Not sure, but wasn't the problem bad water levels on the Mississippi?  Don't think they could have done much about that.  Maybe more generous cancellation options, perhaps.

They cancelled the Mississippi one week in advance.  This was not due to recent rain.  No offer to delay to later cruise.  They knew the river was high long before cruise time.  Had to change flights at my expense.

The recent cancellation was due to COVID-19.  In this case I received two months notice.

23 hours ago, Dupont941 said:

I am a little bit.  They want 90 days to return my payment for a cruise they canceled.  I understand the cancellation but don’t understand the need for 90 days.

Even the large cruise lines are slow in refunding for cancelled cruises.  We waited 90 days + for a large refund from Princess.  

Edited by LDVinNC
typo

22 hours ago, Dupont941 said:

I’ve done two cruises with them and neither itineraries were done as scheduled.  In fact, one cruise on the Mississippi was changed to the Ohio one week before.  A different departure port meant a 12th hour flight change.  The time onboard and crew are fine but the company is rigid and not great at problem solving.

Last year we were on the Mighty Mississippi trip from New Orleans to Red Wing.  Mid-voyage, they had to change from going the whole route on the Mississippi to diverting on the Ohio.  Lots of unhappy travelers but what could they do? Mother Nature was calling the shots.  The water levels were too high.

They brought a young lady on board who worked hard for days to re-book everyone on new flights home from Cincinnati instead of Minneapolis.  Any upcharges were paid by AQSC.  Free travel to airport at the end of the trip (usually $25pp).  Plus we got a 25% future cruise credit.  I think they solved the problem quite well under the circumstance.  We will try the same trip next year, coronavirus permitting.

• Like 2

• LauraS locked this topic