Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
IMSYDNEYAUS

Farewell Sun Princess & Sea Princess?

Recommended Posts

The 2021 / 2022 Summer Highlights for Princess Cruises Australia are about to go on sale and Sun Princess and Sea Princess do not appear in the programme.  The ships appearing are Coral Princess, Emerald Princess, Pacific Princess, Royal Princess and Sapphire Princess with Coral Princess sailing the 2022 World Cruise

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I doubt they’ll get rid of the Sea and Sun as they’re very popular especially in Australia.



Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sun is doing Alaska next summer (Northern hemisphere 🥴)

Edited by Ferd Berfle

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, IMSYDNEYAUS said:

The 2021 / 2022 Summer Highlights for Princess Cruises Australia are about to go on sale and Sun Princess and Sea Princess do not appear in the programme.  The ships appearing are Coral Princess, Emerald Princess, Pacific Princess, Royal Princess and Sapphire Princess with Coral Princess sailing the 2022 World Cruise

Hi Imsydneyaus. Can you please post the 2021/2022 Summer Highlights that you are quoting from? We are very interested in the Aussie cruises late 2021. Thanks. Vicki. 😊

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was on a 14 day cruise on the Sea Princess. My wife and I love the Sea Princess.

Tony

 

E4877C49-43A2-4254-AA4F-82A0A645AC2E.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wouldn't be surprised as rumour being they were offered for sale a couple years before.

 

Unfortunatley this will mean the end of the real mini-suite with a proper living room in PCL fleet!

 

I would wish them to redeployed the ships with P&O AU if they have to - at least we can use some more ships down here 🙂

 

Michael

Edited by eamondzhang

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Lucky TGO said:

I was on a 14 day cruise on the Sea Princess. My wife and I love the Sea Princess.

Tony

 

E4877C49-43A2-4254-AA4F-82A0A645AC2E.jpeg

 

 

Grear picture, thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Busy Mum said:

Hi Imsydneyaus. Can you please post the 2021/2022 Summer Highlights that you are quoting from? We are very interested in the Aussie cruises late 2021. Thanks. Vicki. 😊

 

Would also be interested to see March 2022 Australian itineraries and ships. Booked for 2021 but have nasty suspicion we will need to defer. Many thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

4 hours ago, Busy Mum said:

Hi Imsydneyaus. Can you please post the 2021/2022 Summer Highlights that you are quoting from? We are very interested in the Aussie cruises late 2021. Thanks. Vicki. 😊

29 minutes ago, Reina del Mar said:

 

Would also be interested to see March 2022 Australian itineraries and ships. Booked for 2021 but have nasty suspicion we will need to defer. Many thanks.

 

Sydney: ROYAL + EMERALD + a few cruises on PACIFIC

Melbourne: SAPPHIRE

Brisbane: CORAL

 

CORAL will also have 107-night world cruise from Sydney in May 2022.

 

https://cruisepassenger.com.au/princess-has-unveiled-its-2021-22-australian-season/?fbclid=IwAR18fZhzIcHTbMRWNO1YGaTYoxmglFXzqFqaOqqV8d-seSI0izyu5TwPKY4

Edited by Cruise Wonderland

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Ferd Berfle said:

Sun is doing Alaska next summer (Northern hemisphere 🥴)

Even the itineraries are already published and available to be booked, Princess can still withdraw them, unfortunately.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Cruise Wonderland said:

 

 

Sydney: ROYAL + EMERALD + a few cruises for PACIFIC

Melbourne: SAPPHIRE

Brisbane: CORAL

 

CORAL will also have 107-night world cruise from Sydney in May 2022

Thanks for that.

 

Now waiting for dates, itineraries and when Brits will be able to cross the International border.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Cruise Wonderland said:

 

 

Sydney: ROYAL + EMERALD + a few cruises on PACIFIC

Melbourne: SAPPHIRE

Brisbane: CORAL

 

CORAL will also have 107-night world cruise from Sydney in May 2022.

 

https://cruisepassenger.com.au/princess-has-unveiled-its-2021-22-australian-season/?fbclid=IwAR18fZhzIcHTbMRWNO1YGaTYoxmglFXzqFqaOqqV8d-seSI0izyu5TwPKY4

Thank you so very much.  Now to ‘cross everything’ that these cruises can go ahead and we can welcome our overseas visitors! Vicki. 🙂 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Ferd Berfle said:

Sun is doing Alaska next summer (Northern hemisphere 🥴)

We booked on the Sun Princess July sailing to AK out of San Pedro (Los Angeles) next year.  This will be our first time on a smaller ship and we are looking forward to it.  So hope they don't sell the ship before we can sail on it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Brochure for Australian summer 21/22 might be helpful too:

 

200903_Brox_AU_LRC.pdf?fbclid=IwAR08skDJ

Edited by Porky55

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Ferd Berfle said:

Sun is doing Alaska next summer (Northern hemisphere 🥴)

 

16 hours ago, Cruise Wonderland said:

Even the itineraries are already published and available to be booked, Princess can still withdraw them, unfortunately.

 

3 hours ago, satxdiver said:

We booked on the Sun Princess July sailing to AK out of San Pedro (Los Angeles) next year.  This will be our first time on a smaller ship and we are looking forward to it.  So hope they don't sell the ship before we can sail on it.


Here’s my guess - Princess has announced Grand will not sail from Europe in summer 2022 (replaced by Regal) and they also announced she would have a “new” summer 2022 season from LA announced later this year.  She is already scheduled for longer Mexico and Hawaii r/t from LA for fall 2021 to spring 2022.  I think this is all to set her up to replace Sun Princess on the West Coast once whatever deal for moving/selling the Sun (and Sea) out of the Princess fleet is complete. 
 

I don’t see the Sun or Sea returning to service with Princess.

 

Another prediction - Star does not leave Princess fleet at end of summer 2021 Alaska season to transfer to P&O Australia. I think she may go to Japan to replace the Diamond through late Spring 2022 then transfer to P&O Australia about 8-10months later than planned. If that does not happen and she goes to P&O Australia as planned then I could foresee Princess staying out of the Japanese home market for that timeframe and just have Regal to cover all of SE Asia, China and Japan with sailings more geared to clients from North America, Europe/UK and Aus/NZ.

Edited by AtlantaCruiser72

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

An amendment to my previous post. I was unaware that Star was being replaced by Grand in Alaska doing the N/S runs between Vancouver and Whittier.  Based on that I think it unlikely that Star returns to service with Princess. 
 

I still stand my my statement that I believe Sun and Sea also do not return to service. There will be ongoing cancellations and itinerary changes well into 2022 for all the cruise lines.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

An amendment to my previous post. I was unaware that Star was being replaced by Grand in Alaska doing the N/S runs between Vancouver and Whittier.  Based on that I think it unlikely that Star returns to service with Princess. 
 

I still stand my my statement that I believe Sun and Sea also do not return to service. There will be ongoing cancellations and itinerary changes well into 2022 for all the cruise lines.

 

I agree with your opinion on SUN and SEA. Somebody told me that Princess will make an announcement about Sun and Sea "after several weeks". Let's see, but I am not surprised at all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I love the small ships the Dawn  was our first cruise the Sun our third fond memories! You did not need roller skates to get around the ship! 

Edited by Reader0108598

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Funny enough - when Sun Princess was launched in 1995 she was the worlds largest purpose built cruise ship.  She slightly eclipsed in size (GRT) both QE2 and the Norway which were essentially ocean liners repurposed for cruise.  She also had the largest # of balcony rooms in any ship afloat.  My how times have changed!!!!

Edited by AtlantaCruiser72

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Since we booked on the Sun for July 2021 and some have stated it will be sold, which ship will replace her?

 

We first lost our cruise to Alaska on the Golden for one last hurrah and now we look forward to experiencing the Sun as

we have never been on her.  I am hoping you all are wrong about the Sun.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So after 12 years operating in Australia Sun Princess is returning to the USA. Not a bad old tub, albeit 25 years old. I have been on her twice, including her first season here 2008-2009, Australia circumnavigation.  I like the size of the Sun Class ships and the Sea and Sun and before her the Dawn are very popular with Aussie cruisers, 2000 pax, that is enough thank you.  I had one trip on the Royal Princess, too bi,g too many pax thank you, but many like the Royal Class I know, well Carnival is still building them!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, greenie082756 said:

Since we booked on the Sun for July 2021 and some have stated it will be sold, which ship will replace her?

 

We first lost our cruise to Alaska on the Golden for one last hurrah and now we look forward to experiencing the Sun as

we have never been on her.  I am hoping you all are wrong about the Sun.


It is entirely possible her cruises may eventually be cancelled with no other vessel assuming those sailings. Cruising will not restart 100% on day one when they do get the go ahead. It may take anywhere from 6-24 months for every vessel remaining with a particular line to resume service. I expect rolling cancellations/itinerary changes through at least the end of 2022.

Edited by AtlantaCruiser72

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And so it comes to pass ... confirmation this afternoon that Princess has sold Sun Princess and Sea Princess.  It seems that Sun Princess is going to Japan Grace as a Peace Boat.  What is to happen with Sea Princess is, I believe, still unknown.

 

FB_IMG_1600408261269.jpg

 

Sea Princess is currently off Changi in Singapore and Sun Princess is currently off the coast of Singapore with many of her fleetmates.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...