Livestock ship hit by wave in Typhoon, 2 Aussie and 2 Kiwis feared among dead.

NSWP

Tragic story in re a 11,000 tonne livestock ship..'Gulf Livestock One'  hit by a big wave in China Sea during Typhoon, mid week. 43 crew on board and 6,000 cattle enroute from NZ. Only one survivor, the Filipino Chief Officer rescued.  Two Aussies and two New Zealanders feared dead.  One of the missing is a young Aussie Veterinarian from Mt Isa who trained at James Cook Uni at Townsville with my granddaughter, although in a different year. The Student Vets at James Cook University are a close knit community and my granddaughter knew him.  Sad times for his family and friends.

1599196883848.jpg

Edited by NSWP

8 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Tragic story in re a 11,000 tonne livestock ship hit by a big wave in China Sea during Typhoon, mid week. 43 crew on board and 6,000 cattle enroute from NZ. Only one survivor, a Filipino crewman rescued.  Two Aussies and two New Zealanders feared dead.  One of the missing is a young Aussie Veterinarian from Mt Isa who trained at James Cook Uni at Townsville with my granddaughter, although in a different year. The Student Vets at James Cook University are a close knit community and my granddaughter knew him.  Sad times for his family and friends.

Reports are just coming in of a second person having been recovered.

Details are very sketchy at this time. The seas are still very rough.

1 hour ago, Bowm54 said:

Reports are just coming in of a second person having been recovered.

Details are very sketchy at this time. The seas are still very rough.

The report I heard said that the second person was recovered, but soon died. It seems that there is only one survivor. Another storm is now headed into the area where the ship went down reducing the already slim chances there will be any more survivors.

The missing Veterinarian who my grandaughter knows, recently moved from a vet clinic to a position as a Government Vet, now I don't know who he was working for, the Australian or NZ Governments, it does not really matter.  It was his first ship.   He was married and they had a baby in January, tragic, as it is a tragedy for all families involved. 

Edited by NSWP

Great tragedy, thoughts are with all concerned .

NZ has now moved to ban live exports. 
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/04/world/asia/cattle-ship-capsized.html

The cattle where quality dairy animals being exported for breeding.. Heard reports they   were over $3000 each. and many were pregnant .

A couple of years ago there was a documentary on the Australian livestock ships, think it was on 'Mighty Ships.' Might be on 'You Tube', pretty horrific the conditions. I have to admit I am a bit of an animal rights person myself.  Those livestock ships look unstable, stacked high with heavy loads.

A ban on live exports in NZ will ruffle a few feathers with those in the cattle and other livestock export industry, David, thanks for posting.

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 1

I saw something on ABC where a crew member of one of those ships filmed the conditions for sheep as they sailed to IIRC Kuwait. It was horrible. I didn't realise we were doing so much live export still. I thought with freezing technology we would be butchering them here and sending the meat😳. Though I guess with dairy cows that would be a whole another issue.

The second Aussie missing is a Stockhand from NSW.  It is my belief that the export company has to employ the Veterinarian and Stockhands for the journey, as required by the Government.  The load was bound for China from NZ.  On my cruise ship travels around the world I have seen a few of those livestock carriers at sea, like a cruise ship with no cabins stacked high with livestock pens.

I told my grand daughter last evening, don't get a job on the Livestock vessels, does not matter how good the pay is.

Edited by NSWP

6 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

Sad situation but I am not sure the captain can be blamed for being caught in the open sea by a typhoon, those ships just don't move that fast. Having a broken engine certainly wouldn't have helped.

Totally agree Mic, Engine failure and the ship wallows in a big sea then a rogue wave comes along. Tragic story this.

21 minutes ago, plettza said:

What sort of wave would be needed to capsize a vessel like this?  What about a cruise ship?

If the ship has power, they can face into the waves, reducing the risk. Several times cruise ships have been in 14 metre seas and survived.

Several years ago, the Pacific Sun (I think it was the P. Sun) was nearly lost north of NZ in really bad weather. The captain warned passengers and crew that he was going to reposition the ship in relation to the waves, but as the ship changed direction, an enormous wave hit. They were close to losing the ship. I don't know if the video is still available on U Tube, but it is pretty spectacular.

Edited by Aus Traveller

40 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

If the ship has power, they can face into the waves, reducing the risk. Several times cruise ships have been in 14 metre seas and survived.

Several years ago, the Pacific Sun (I think it was the P. Sun) was nearly lost north of NZ in really bad weather. The captain warned passengers and crew that he was going to reposition the ship in relation to the waves, but as the ship changed direction, an enormous wave hit. They were close to losing the ship. I don't know if the video is still available on U Tube, but it is pretty spectacular.

My first cruise ever was onboard Carnival Legend back in early 2017.  We were coming back from New Caledonia towards Sydney and on the last day we had some gnarley weather.  I think the waves hit about 9m.  I was in the elevator heading up to deck 8 (where the buffet is) when there was a large jolt.  And I mean large.  On deck 8 in the centre of ship, there had been such flex in the vessel a few tiles had popped off the floor.  After that, I used the stairs!

I'd hate to see things at 14m seas.

8 minutes ago, plettza said:

My first cruise ever was onboard Carnival Legend back in early 2017.  We were coming back from New Caledonia towards Sydney and on the last day we had some gnarley weather.  I think the waves hit about 9m.  I was in the elevator heading up to deck 8 (where the buffet is) when there was a large jolt.  And I mean large.  On deck 8 in the centre of ship, there had been such flex in the vessel a few tiles had popped off the floor.  After that, I used the stairs!

I'd hate to see things at 14m seas.

On one cruise on the Pacific Pearl we were in 12 metre seas. Captain Paoletti told the Captains Circle party "This ship is design-ed (his Italian accent) for 12 metre. We have four left." Pacific Dawn was damaged in 14 metre seas in the same weather system.

Edited by Aus Traveller

With the weather forcasting available these days there is no reason a ship should find itself near to a Tropical Revolving Storm [TRS].  Only bad seamanship,  poorly trained officers & in this case most lickely pushing the ship to maintain ETA.

Fake certification is alsp a growing problem.

Slowing down early & letting the storm pass ahead or turning around & putting the seas on the stern will keep the ship safer.

Losing the main engine could result in a capsize it the ship's stability is not good, but being further away from the bad weather near the storm's centre would help. 

Every year several ships continue to be lost. Nearly always boils down to the companies Bean counters.

Sea Safety r.JPG

22 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

You jogged my memory about the Pacific Sun incident as I remember reading a comprehensive report about the incident a few years ago.

I'm not sure if the attached article is the same one I read but it is somewhat detailed  and makes for interesting if not sober reading. (Just be aware it is 58 pages long.)

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/media/547c6ff4ed915d4c10000059/PacificSunReport.pdf

Edited by ozziepost

They could still be in life rafts, I watch 'Unbroken' on Netflix last night, the American aviators lasted 45 days in the Pacific on a life raft before the Japs picked them and carted them off to a POW camp for some horrific treatment.

5 hours ago, Kiwi Kruzer said:

https://www.tvnz.co.nz/one-news/new-zealand/ill-fated-livestock-carrier-left-napier-2-3-degree-list-heading-towards-typhoon-maritime-union

Fri Sep 11 TV1 News

Ill-fated livestock carrier left Napier with '2 to 3 degree list' heading towards a typhoon - Maritime Union

Mmmm, overloaded or badly loaded?