Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community

Recommended Posts

Volendam and Zaandam still had one, last I knew. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Most of the ships, with a few exceptions, have movies on demand on the large flat screen tv.  We don't watch movies at home and wait to sea days to catch up on the year's best.  It is something to look forward to, movies with room service in bed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sometimes, when there is a late sailing from a port, the Main Theater will offer a movie on the big screen that is available there.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Mary229 said:

Most of the ships, with a few exceptions, have movies on demand on the large flat screen tv.  We don't watch movies at home and wait to sea days to catch up on the year's best.  It is something to look forward to, movies with room service in bed

 

I've started doing this too, especially for movies that I'm on the fence about seeing.  "Nah, I can watch that later on the ship."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Stateroom_Sailor said:

 

I've started doing this too, especially for movies that I'm on the fence about seeing.  "Nah, I can watch that later on the ship."

 

Sometimes, the ships' show films that are very compatible with the cruise itinerary.  Just before the Zaandam arrived in Argentina, "Evita" with Madonna was shown.  Wow!  

 

During my 2002 Asia Pacific Cruise on the Volendam, "The Last Emperor" was shown before we arrived at our first port in China.  Another Wow!

 

Such movies, when they are available, in my opinion, helps to "set the stage" for the historical context of the country that one is about to visit.  For me, it makes my visit more meaningful and, indeed, memorable.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Pinnnacle class ships have movies under the stars, my nieces and nephews loved that.  They would get their popcorn, pizza, wings, etc., sit there and watch a movie outside at the Lido Pool, they thought it was great................nice comfy chairs.........

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

 

Sometimes, the ships' show films that are very compatible with the cruise itinerary.  Just before the Zaandam arrived in Argentina, "Evita" with Madonna was shown.  Wow!  

 

During my 2002 Asia Pacific Cruise on the Volendam, "The Last Emperor" was shown before we arrived at our first port in China.  Another Wow!

 

Such movies, when they are available, in my opinion, helps to "set the stage" for the historical context of the country that one is about to visit.  For me, it makes my visit more meaningful and, indeed, memorable.   

I do like the compatible films also - on my South Pacific Island cruise they showed "The Bounty" and one about Vincent Van Gogh, and "Tango Argentina", as well as "Evita", on the So. America cruise.

  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, doone said:

The Pinnnacle class ships have movies under the stars, my nieces and nephews loved that.  They would get their popcorn, pizza, wings, etc., sit there and watch a movie outside at the Lido Pool, they thought it was great................nice comfy chairs.........

I liked those on Princess but I found on the Koningsdam the sound quality was poor and as usual HAL is stingy with the popcorn 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, doone said:

The Pinnnacle class ships have movies under the stars, my nieces and nephews loved that.  They would get their popcorn, pizza, wings, etc., sit there and watch a movie outside at the Lido Pool, they thought it was great................nice comfy chairs.........

 

If all goes well, I'll have 25 nights on Koningsdam next year.  Amenities like these, will be more than welcome.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On Maasdam New Zealand cruise last February I saw two New Zealand movies in the small theatre (lecture room?) with three screens . They were "Hunt for the Wilderpeople" and "Pork Pie". They are terrific movies. Even though I'm an Aussie I struggle at times to understand Kiwi English. Both offer insights into Kiwi culture and humour. A good laugh is guaranteed.

Again, HAL were a bit stingy with the popcorn.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Never watched a movie on the outdoor screen on Nieuw Statendam, but did watch a feed from the NFL for a football game that interested me.  Certainly different, but enjoyable.  Did someone say popcorn?  What popcorn?  I didn't see any.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

Never watched a movie on the outdoor screen on Nieuw Statendam, but did watch a feed from the NFL for a football game that interested me.  Certainly different, but enjoyable.  Did someone say popcorn?  What popcorn?  I didn't see any.  

HAL only offers popcorn during the scheduled movie times and then only a handful of tiny bags.  What the heck?  I love popcorn, I think I might like popcorn almost as much as creme brûlée, I am a cheap date!  I actually wrote HAL a letter about it.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Mary229 said:

HAL only offers popcorn during the scheduled movie times and then only a handful of tiny bags.  What the heck?  I love popcorn, I think I might like popcorn almost as much as creme brûlée, I am a cheap date!  I actually wrote HAL a letter about it.  

 

Well, if popcorn is not going to be provided, then how about in the shell peanuts?  (The deck stewards won't be "wild" about that suggestion, I know!)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

 

Well, if popcorn is not going to be provided, then how about in the shell peanuts?  (The deck stewards won't be "wild" about that suggestion, I know!)

No peanuts won’t do.   Popcorn is so cheap, tasty and healthy.   I can’t imagine why they limit it.   I have watched a lot of movies that I wasn’t interested in just for the popcorn 😁  that said. I am glad I watched the movies.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...