Jump to content

HAL cancelled cruise still showing up....


Recommended Posts

7 hours ago, 0bnxshs said:

I've not experienced any of these issues.  HAL canceled our Westerdam cruise to Antarctica and SA in November 2020, my TA told them to provide FCCs which were posted within 2 days of cancellation and I used those FCCs to book the Rotterdam VII Baltic and TA cruises immediately without issue.  The FCCs from that cruise have been applied to the new cruise but the canceled Westie cruise still shows up in "My Bookings" on the HAL site, which I simply ignore.

 

Hope your issues clear up soon.

 

Your experience is the same as mine.  I don't know the reason for this disparate treatment among all of us who have posted here, but I deal with a TA who is a real go-getter.  There has even been a situation where I was able to use the FCC in lieu of a deposit.  The only difference I see is that none of the cancelled cruises shows up in "My Bookings."

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, NavArch64 said:

After reading some of the posts above, it seems that if you have a very good TA, they can "cut through" the HAL BS. If you deal directly with HAL as a knowledgeable, loyal, and experienced guest, you get treated poorly, as illogical as that may seem to us. I guess that the logic to HAL is to respond to and support the TA's ... the heck with the individual guests. OK ... so be it, I suppose.

 

Bingo!

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Mary229 said:

In defense of HAL agents first they are working remotely so they don’t necessarily get all of the latest updates and don’t have the luxury of group knowledge, you know, usually they can turn to someone in the office or flag their super for a quick answer to a difficult situation.   Secondly I am sure they are simply shell shocked.  I was speaking to one the other day and after the business at hand we chatted.  I work online now, I used to be 50% online and we started talking about how people don’t see you as a person just a machine.     Say what you want to HAL management but give those agents a break, here and on the phone.   I am sure they occasionally read these fora so let’s be nice. 

You are spot on in one of the issues of people working from home - the lack of quick and easy access to another person who might know the answer to a difficult question.  Now they have to make one (or more) calls/emails to a supervisor to get the answer and I suspect that some people are reluctant to do that often.

 

I would like to see the work at home situation change back to work in the office, but I could see where a 50% work at home deal could also be OK.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, NavArch64 said:

53 days seems like enough time to get it right.

 

People are waiting over 100 days with other lines. Loyalty status means nothing when it comes to something like this. It's only good for the benefits stated in the loyalty program, not faster refunds, etc.

 

16 hours ago, NavArch64 said:

Maybe I am too impatient

Yes, and your expectations are too high.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

It would be great if the HAL blog had more "news" posted than merely the press releases.  To me Blog connotes weekly or bi-weekly postings of some kind.  We are all just sitting like mushrooms in the dark listening to the crickets.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a super TA. Both of my cancelled cruises are still showing up in my bookings. One is my October 17 TA which leaves in 38 days, which is paid in full!!!! The other is my Mexican Rivera cruise booked on the Maasdam sailing April 13-and that ship is sold!!!! So I don't think the TA theory holds water. And really-my cruise leaves in little over a month paid in full and HAL STILL hasn't REFUNDED?? That's a bit ridiculous!! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, sambamama said:

I have a super TA. Both of my cancelled cruises are still showing up in my bookings. One is my October 17 TA which leaves in 38 days, which is paid in full!!!! The other is my Mexican Rivera cruise booked on the Maasdam sailing April 13-and that ship is sold!!!! So I don't think the TA theory holds water. And really-my cruise leaves in little over a month paid in full and HAL STILL hasn't REFUNDED?? That's a bit ridiculous!! 

I think your TA needs to call HAL.  Somewhere, somehow a communication is missing.  HAL canceled all cruises through mid/early December.  

 

HAL news, cancellations through Dec 15

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/7/2020 at 11:14 AM, Live4cruises said:

It would be great if the HAL blog had more "news" posted than merely the press releases.  To me Blog connotes weekly or bi-weekly postings of some kind.  We are all just sitting like mushrooms in the dark listening to the crickets.

Go to the front page of the HAL website, scroll down to the bottom and there is a news and advisory link.  You are right, it is not updated often BUT it is up to date

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not an attorney however I know enough to realize that if the refund policy does not contain a specific length of time in writing then they could take as long as they wish to effect refunds. Just because customer service states that refunds will be within a 90 day period is pretty meaningless. Especially when no verbal commitment is made past telling you that we will do our best to refund your money within 90 days. Stockholders, banks, and accountants basically control refunds. To remain solvent the value of a company's assets must be greater than the sum of its debt obligations. Refunds are considered debt obligations. Debt obligations can only be paid when funds are available to be released. Since HAL has had no income for over 6 months with no credible hope of future income they are having extreme difficulty meeting their financial obligations. I am just hoping that they don't file for bankruptcy before my and everyone else's refund is received.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Floridastorm said:

I'm not an attorney however I know enough to realize that if the refund policy does not contain a specific length of time in writing then they could take as long as they wish to effect refunds. Just because customer service states that refunds will be within a 90 day period is pretty meaningless. Especially when no verbal commitment is made past telling you that we will do our best to refund your money within 90 days. Stockholders, banks, and accountants basically control refunds. To remain solvent the value of a company's assets must be greater than the sum of its debt obligations. Refunds are considered debt obligations. Debt obligations can only be paid when funds are available to be released. Since HAL has had no income for over 6 months with no credible hope of future income they are having extreme difficulty meeting their financial obligations. I am just hoping that they don't file for bankruptcy before my and everyone else's refund is received.  

You might be right but they came out late last month and told shareholders that they had secured enough financing to continue without cruising for another 18 months.  I will see if I can find that article for you and post the link.  This is not the original article but an article from a reliable source paraphrasing the announcement.  The article is dated September 1, 2020

 

Investorplace article CCL

Edited by Mary229
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/13/2020 at 6:00 PM, Mary229 said:

You might be right but they came out late last month and told shareholders that they had secured enough financing to continue without cruising for another 18 months.  I will see if I can find that article for you and post the link.  This is not the original article but an article from a reliable source paraphrasing the announcement.  The article is dated September 1, 2020

 

Investorplace article CCL

Hard for me to believe that HAL will be solvent for another 18 weeks much less another 18 months. Why would they tell good customers that they will refund their money within 90 days  and then not refund their money within 90 days? My refund has already gone over 100 days and still nothing concrete from HAL although I have followed up twice with them. All you get is "just be patient". I am already planning on never receiving my refund and moving on with my life.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Floridastorm said:

Hard for me to believe that HAL will be solvent for another 18 weeks much less another 18 months. Why would they tell good customers that they will refund their money within 90 days  and then not refund their money within 90 days? My refund has already gone over 100 days and still nothing concrete from HAL although I have followed up twice with them. All you get is "just be patient". I am already planning on never receiving my refund and moving on with my life.

Why don’t you call your credit card company?  

Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Floridastorm said:

I really don't see how my credit card company can help much. Can you advise? 🤔

If you put the cruise on your credit card you can file a dispute.  Travel reservations generally have a longer dispute period than other types of charges.  It is worth a phone call.  Of course, realize, disputes can take up to 60 days to resolve

Edited by Mary229
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...
On 9/20/2020 at 11:11 AM, Mary229 said:

If you put the cruise on your credit card you can file a dispute.  Travel reservations generally have a longer dispute period than other types of charges.  It is worth a phone call.  Of course, realize, disputes can take up to 60 days to resolve

I actually had Travel Insurance for both of us. So, let's see,  Hal cancelled our cruise and so far there is little expectation of ever receiving a refund. At least the way I look at it. As such I believe that the Travel Insurance should cover it unless the Insurance Company somehow has something in unreadable print without a magnifying glass that prevents them from complying. I would not think there is a statute of limitations on when one can file a claim. My credit card bank also has asked that I submit a claim through them and they will review it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Floridastorm said:

I actually had Travel Insurance for both of us. So, let's see,  Hal cancelled our cruise and so far there is little expectation of ever receiving a refund. At least the way I look at it. As such I believe that the Travel Insurance should cover it unless the Insurance Company somehow has something in unreadable print without a magnifying glass that prevents them from complying. I would not think there is a statute of limitations on when one can file a claim. My credit card bank also has asked that I submit a claim through them and they will review it.

There is definitely a limitation but it is probably around 2 years.  I think you must have gotten lost in the shuffle as so many have said they got the refund now.  I am sorry your are having trouble 

Edited by Mary229
Link to post
Share on other sites

This seems really crazy. Still awaiting for the restoration of our FCD from an August 2021 cruise cancelled by HAL because of the sale of the 4 ships. Earlier this week I called my TA and said to cancel our 28 day Asia B2B, as we are not comfortable travelling on it or to it in March 2021. Guess what, those cruises are now gone from our bookings and the FCDs have been restored, but the cruise that HAL Cancelled still shows in our bookings and no FCDs returned as yet. My TA has been calling HAL Each and Very Wednesday for at least 6 weeks asking for when this will be resolved. Each time is a repeat of the same. "Request sent to escalate the matter, it should be resolved in a week". Its only a set of FCDs so I'm not sweating any big $$$, but its still seems crazy. Customer initiated cancelling dealt with as expected and in a reasonable amount of time, HAL initiated cancellation seems stuck in limbo. 

Edited by drowelf
Link to post
Share on other sites

Our August, 2021 cruise on Rotterdam VI had over $1,700 each in FCCs applied to it before HAL sold our ship in July.  It is still in the list of cruises in my account.  I have a feeling the $200 each in FCD's we paid when we booked have been refunded, and used, but the darn $1700 pp is still sitting there!  I have had an online chat with an agent, who said that it is somewhere in the process and will be credited when they get to it.  I'm beginning to think we have been forgotten!  If I don't see any re-crediting of the FCCs by mid-November (the cruise was cancelled July 15 so 4 months) I am going to be really annoyed.  (PS I have discussed the issue with our PCC and she advises patience...)

 

Just checked my account again, and there is actually still $100 each in FCDs also showing, plus $350 each in OBC.

Edited by Vict0riann
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/1/2020 at 5:03 PM, Mary229 said:

There is definitely a limitation but it is probably around 2 years.  I think you must have gotten lost in the shuffle as so many have said they got the refund now.  I am sorry your are having trouble 

Surprise. Actually received our full refund back to our credit card yesterday. Over 4 months but at least it's been returned. However, not planning on anymore cruises. This virus never bothered me but it's the thought of having to put up with all of the nonsensical restrictions imposed by the CDC that turns me off. And, don't think anything will change for months and maybe years. Also, most of the cruise lines must be on the brink of bankruptcy about now. Thanks for the concern. 🙂

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Floridastorm said:

And, don't think anything will change for months and maybe years. Also, most of the cruise lines must be on the brink of bankruptcy about now. Thanks for the concern. 🙂

Years I don't know but months for sure. As for bankruptcy, there is not much concern for that at the moment on the major lines. All have secured $$$ via stock and other lines of credit for most of next year. The have filed such info with the SEC. Now if cruising is still is in major shutdown mode this time next year it will be a total different story. 

 

As to what the new cruise experience is going to be, we all just going to have to wait and see. Our next cruise is scheduled for August 2021 and after that February 2022. So come May 2021, we will have to evaluate the state of the world and make our decision on the first one. The state of Covid-19 and any restrictions imposed by the cruise line will all go into our decision matrix and we will make a go/no-go decision before final payment. Its no use speculating on what restriction might exist (except for manadatory vaccination), because the the truth is, nobody knows at this time!

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...
On 11/6/2020 at 10:58 AM, drowelf said:

Years I don't know but months for sure. As for bankruptcy, there is not much concern for that at the moment on the major lines. All have secured $$$ via stock and other lines of credit for most of next year. The have filed such info with the SEC. Now if cruising is still is in major shutdown mode this time next year it will be a total different story. 

 

As to what the new cruise experience is going to be, we all just going to have to wait and see. Our next cruise is scheduled for August 2021 and after that February 2022. So come May 2021, we will have to evaluate the state of the world and make our decision on the first one. The state of Covid-19 and any restrictions imposed by the cruise line will all go into our decision matrix and we will make a go/no-go decision before final payment. Its no use speculating on what restriction might exist (except for manadatory vaccination), because the the truth is, nobody knows at this time!

Cruising is something that you plan months and sometimes years in advance. It requires a lot of planning especially for longer cruises and the payment of large sums of money. Even when there comes a time when all ships are allowed to cruise once again and the cruise lines are still around, will potential passengers want to cruise with draconian regulations in place irrespective of the threat from this virus? Do folks want to cruise so bad that they would put up with these regulations? Incessant testing, masks, social distancing, venues either closed or severely regulated, mandated shore excursion protocol, plus the probability that the ports will also have their own set of strict regulations. A lot of people don't realize that just because the CDC lifts all regulations does not mean that the cruise lines and ports are going to automatically open everything up. Companies worry about litigation and protect themselves accordingly. They may just maintain the draconian regulations indefinitely or at least for a few months thereafter. I believe, if they do this, then the majority of cruise passengers will opt out of cruising. Nobody wants to cruise on a hospital ship. If ships cannot sail profitably they will go out of business. It seems like a damned if you do damned if you don't situation but those are facts.  😷

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • Q&A with Chris Prelog, President of Windstar Cruises!
      • Register Now for Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Royal Caribbean
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...