Live from MSC Grandiosa, Genoa, September 6-13, 2020

petra75

Hallo everybody,

we boarder MSC Grandiosa today!!!

Honestly, didn't think it would be possible so soon just a few weeks ago, but life's full of surprise so here we are!

A bit about us: we are Italians and live in Italy, I'm in my middle 40s (the number in my screenname is no for accident:-)) and my fiance, Darko, in his 30s. This is our 21st cruise, 5th on MSC, other companies we cruised on are Princess, Costa, HAL, Carnival and NCL.

We are happy to share our experience on a cruise during the Covid19 pandemic and answer you questions.

Just a note: we have no Internet package, so we'll connect only when in port.

Grandiosa itinerary:

9/6 Genoa dep. 7:30pm

9/7 Civitavecchia (Rome) 8am-7pm

9/8 Naples 8am-6pm

9/9 Palermo 8am-7pm

9/10 at sea

9/11 La Valletta (Malta) 8am-6pm

9/12 at sea

9/13 Genoa arr. 8Am

In every port except Malta people embark and debark.

Since we have already been several times in every port beside Palermo we have booked just a four hours walking tour in there, of course with MSC since, as many of you might already know, we are not allowed to get off the ship by ourselves.

gac76Km.jpg

1eDoapq.jpg

• Like 13
  • Thanks 5

Petra, this will be a very welcome review which many here on Cruise Critic have been waiting for so thank you in advance.  I'd be interested to know if MSC is offering different excursions on board.  The one offered for each port online are very basic.

Edited by Até
  • Like 2

So, let's start with embarkation.

We had to fill beforehand a questionnaire about our health in the last 14 days, included different questions on Covid19 (if we got in contact with the virus or lived with somebody who did, if we were quarantined for that and so on...).

We arrived in port at 10am, the embarkation time we found on the ticket, and it reads that we would not be allowed in port if we presented earlier that that time.

We were seated in a couple of waiting rooms before getting Covid19 test, honestly there were a bit of a mess since we didn't get the usual embarkation number and we were called to walk from a room to the other and to test booths by MSC people that were walking around the rooms.

Fortunately at the time we were there, there were not many people and the order first come first served could be more or less followed, don't know if it could work properly if more people are there.

Anyway, after the swab we got the usual boarding number and proceed to check-in. We waited by embarkation number to be called, for us it was around 12:30, so two and a half after we arrived in port, not so bad.

cYRly8u.jpg

5lzmFuE.jpg

2vbbfih.jpg

At check-in we were already given cruise card and the wrist band, that can be used for everything you do with cruise card as well and to trace our contacts during the cruise. Data will be stored for around one month.

GdPk83Z.jpg

• Like 4

Thanks Petra - I think this thread will be very avidly read over the next few months.  Great to hear a direct experience, like others I'm interested in hearing more about the excursions.  As someone from the UK, we can't book any of the MSC cruises just yet but am curious about their excursion offers and prices - as the itinerary is (usually) the main reason we chose a cruise. 

14 minutes ago, dritan said:

Thanks Petra - I think this thread will be very avidly read over the next few months.  Great to hear a direct experience, like others I'm interested in hearing more about the excursions.  As someone from the UK, we can't book any of the MSC cruises just yet but am curious about their excursion offers and prices - as the itinerary is (usually) the main reason we chose a cruise. 

At the moment it's 100 Euros for 3 excursions according to MSC website and you cannot go ashore unless on an excursion

Hi Petra

I am following your posts with great interest- I haven't cruised with MSC yet but have been looking at them , particularly the new ships.

If possible could you find out how they deal with someone with celiac disease (gluten allergy) - this is one of the factors which stops me booking with other cruise lines - the risk that my wife might have difficulty finding something to eat.

I suspect a lot of the protocols they have in place for these cruises will be pretty much replicated by the other cruise lines as they begin to start up again.

Hope you have a great cruise and thank you for this live thread!

8 minutes ago, Trixie21 said:

If possible could you find out how they deal with someone with celiac disease (gluten allergy) - this is one of the factors which stops me booking with other cruise lines - the risk that my wife might have difficulty finding something to eat.

There's a dietary requirements document for completion prior to boarding and then IIRC from other posters reviews, you then receive a separate menu for meals in the MDR. 

Hallo everybody and thank you for following and for you good wishes, so far so good!

First something about life on board. It looks like what we Italians got used to in this last month after Italy's lockdown. In order to be socially distanced in many places there are signs that show where you should stand when queuing, or what side of the hall you should keep, or where to stand and how many people are allowed on elevators. Everybody should always wear masks when not seated at bars, restaurants and deckchairs. Of course crews wear masks, for the most FFP-KN95, all the time.

Buffet is served only, beverage stations included, and so trays made their apparence back, to facilitate the collection of what you need in just one trip. Before proceed to food lines you must wash your hands, as we have seen on newest ships we have been on Grandiosa has several sinks at buffet entrances.

In MDR you are seated with your family/group only and every other table.

Near pools and jacuzzi there are signs that show how many people can get in at one time, and the usual recommendation not to stay too long and allow everyone to enjoy.

StsYa7M.jpg

M1fl4K4.jpg

ql81fzJ.jpg

n9mCpsM.jpg

Every day you must have your temperature checked at given slot times, today were during breakfast time at buffet and this evening at buffet or MDRs before dinner.

Muster drill yesterday was about watching a short video in your cabin and than dialling a number on the cabin phone that made sure you were there. Then we must reach our muster station where cruise card was read, quick and easy!

• Like 9

Thank you so much @petra75 for this live report. I expect this post will go viral especially since you are including relevant details of ship life after Covid. Please now that the time you are devoting is much appreciated and I'm wishing you a terrific sailing.

On another note: This is not a slam on MSC, as I see this type of marking in many stores I enter. The line itself is social distancing, but when the que double backs on itself....not so much....

image.png.69f7b65c1dbc96283742a7df781136cb.png

• Like 1