CocoCay & Nassau,Bahamas

bobp106

13 minutes ago, bobp106 said:

What is there to do at CocoCay and Nassau, Bahamas for non- beach people?

Cococay you could do hot air balloon ride?  Otherwise everything else revolves around beach or pool lounging or water sports.  Nassau you can do land tours  rcl has several different land excursion.  I'm sure others on this forum will give you some more info on Nassau.

Coco Cay is a beach day.....you don't have to get off the ship at all...and if you do, you don't have to stay all day.  Consider it part of the ship....because it truly is.  

Nassau has shopping, restaurants, points of interest (if they interest you)...and gambling at Atlantis.

While we love the private "beach days", Nassau isn't our favorite....it's a "been there, done that" sort of port for us.

• Like 1

What type of activity are you looking for?

Have you tried looking at what Royal Caribbean offers for excursions, to see if you can see anything that interests you? For independent ideas and reviews check out ports of call boards.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/35-bahamas/

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/308-private-islands/

Coco Cay is an island and primarily water related activities, plus some expensive Royal Caribbean created activities as posted above.

We have always found something interesting to do in Nassau, both beach and non-beach related. It would be helpful if you gave an indication of the type of activity you might be interested in.

Edited by c-leg5

I'm pretty much a non beach person (4 skin cancers removed and past due for check up). Not supposed to be in the sun, but I love to cruise. 

Coco cay, I enjoy the bbq, though not sure what the effect of pay for meal will be. Been a long while I been there. I walk around the few sellers and look in the back for paths to walk. I still enjoy the day. 

That's why I like rcl solarium, shaded. Rcl has nice ones.

We did an over-night at Nassau on Liberty of the Seas (they were fixing the thrusters) and really liked it. We like to walk/explore so had a great time. It is an easy walk to the Queen's Staircase and old Fort. Great views from there. We also walked to the beach near Atlantis (a moderate distance walk). The view from the bridge is pretty nice and is a great place to take pictures when there are a lot of cruise-ships in port. Just pass the bridge is a really nice duck-pond with a TON of different ducks (domesticated) and fish. Bring some bread since the ducks/fish/turtles are waiting for you to feed them. If you don't like water, stay away from the beach near Atlantis. If there is any wind/waves, it is SUPER dangerous (or Super fun, depending on what you like). A 1 foot tall wave can become a 6+ foot tall wave in about 10 feet as it gets close to shore. At least 3 people had to be rescued the day I was there (but for my kids, this was their absolute favorite beach in all of the Caribbean).  

7 hours ago, cb at sea said:

While we love the private "beach days", Nassau isn't our favorite....it's a "been there, done that" sort of port for us.

Same here.  It it is summer and hot we get off and go to Junkanoo for the day, otherwise, we stay on the ship in Nassau

Nassau has a wonderful walking food tour:

https://www.trubahamianfoodtours.com/

Go to Graycliff and walk the grounds and visit the chocolate/candy shop.  You can also do tours where they make the chocolate, including a hands-on workshop where you make your own chocolate treats.

https://www.graycliff.com/graycliff-chocolatier/

https://www.graycliff.com/culinary/

https://www.graycliff.com/graycliff-cigar-company/

44 minutes ago, yogimax said:

Are you implying RCCL will be charging for the barbecue?  I would be surprised if they do.

Not in the least. I said I havent been to coco cay since they added a pay option food. Someone posted they think the bbq went downhill since this was added, so that's why I'm not sure about it. But I like bbq hamburgers or chicken, niblet ear of corn and salad if they have it. 

I was booked feb first week to coco cay b2b with 2nd week got cancelled and I gave up coco cay. Price double what I paid so doubting I did the right thing, but going to be a while again before I see it. Disappointed, but going with the flow. ... I always enjoyed coco cay. 

5 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Not in the least. I said I havent been to coco cay since they added a pay option food. Someone posted they think the bbq went downhill since this was added, so that's why I'm not sure about it. But I like bbq hamburgers or chicken, niblet ear of corn and salad if they have it. 

I was booked feb first week to coco cay b2b with 2nd week got cancelled and I gave up coco cay. Price double what I paid so doubting I did the right thing, but going to be a while again before I see it. Disappointed, but going with the flow. ... I always enjoyed coco cay. 

The food on Coco Cay is excellent now.  Almost all food is free and there are many, many better options than they had in the old days.  Look around for reviews of Perfect Day and see the food options.  It is nothing like it was the last time you were there.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

The food on Coco Cay is excellent now.  Almost all food is free and there are many, many better options than they had in the old days.  Look around for reviews of Perfect Day and see the food options.  It is nothing like it was the last time you were there.

People are complaining on the Galveston board we dont have more cruises to coco cay, so it's very popular when it comes up. .. though who knows if I would have gotten to go. Prices went sky high due to demand and not enough to coco cay. I'll have to make a effort to find another. Cruisefare started about 450 pp before taxes and now up to starting at about 750 pp before taxes. So its popular. 

Maybe 2022. 

7 hours ago, firefly333 said:

I'm pretty much a non beach person (4 skin cancers removed and past due for check up). Not supposed to be in the sun, but I love to cruise.

That's why I like rcl solarium, shaded. Rcl has nice ones.

My wife has a saying ......that I love the sun but the sun doesn’t like me, my skin especially. My next check up is in 10 days.

Anyway, DW loves the beach days, so I lather on tons of sunscreen, wear the UV protection long sleeve shirts, wide brimmed UV hat.  I can make it about 2 hours.

And I love those hours

DW May stay longer, May not. 

Eddie

1 hour ago, reallyitsmema said:

You can purchase a "Coco Beach Club Full Day" pass to an area with private pool and upscale buffet thru your cruise planner.  Depending on the sale, it could be anywhere from $122pp to $70pp.  🍷

4 minutes ago, Wine-O said:

You can purchase a "Coco Beach Club Full Day" pass to an area with private pool and upscale buffet thru your cruise planner.  Depending on the sale, it could be anywhere from $122pp to $70pp.  🍷

She commented that the BBQ went downhill since they added pay options, I disagree.  Everything we have tried at the main buffet was much better and there were a lot more options.  We also enjoyed everything at the Snack Shacks, which are also free venues.  There is a pay venue that has wings and other stuff for a fee, but we have not felt the need to go there as the other options are much improved.  Yes, there is also the Beach Club with its upscale buffet which we have not tried yet.  We could have gone there for less than $50pp in February.

11 minutes ago, Eddie Wilson said:

My wife has a saying ......that I love the sun but the sun doesn’t like me, my skin especially. My next check up is in 10 days.

Anyway, DW loves the beach days, so I lather on tons of sunscreen, wear the UV protection long sleeve shirts, wide brimmed UV hat.  I can make it about 2 hours.

And I love those hours

DW May stay longer, May not. 

Eddie

Yes I have that freckled red head complexion. I didnt think of long sleeves. I played too much tennis which I'm paying for now though I was good and enjoyed it.

I know I shouldn't be in the sun, but I still do it too. 

I like to walk along the beach too. And any trails I find in the back. It's a special day. Some others in my shoes with the b2b kept the coco cay day and gave up their b2b. I thought about it. Hard to book cruise out of texas. Idk if liberty is too big or why jewel and smaller ships only seem to do it.

2 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

She commented that the BBQ went downhill since they added pay options, I disagree.  Everything we have tried at the main buffet was much better and there were a lot more options.  We also enjoyed everything at the Snack Shacks, which are also free venues.  There is a pay venue that has wings and other stuff for a fee, but we have not felt the need to go there as the other options are much improved.  Yes, there is also the Beach Club with its upscale buffet which we have not tried yet.  We could have gone there for less than $50pp in February.

That's why I wanted to do it myself. Always someone who complains.

Just now, firefly333 said:

That's why I wanted to do it myself. Always someone who complains.

I hope you are able to get there, the snack shack chicken sandwiches are delicious, as is the funnel cake.  My Mom got cheese sticks when we were there in February and the sea gull that stole them seemed to enjoy them a lot!  😄  The buffet has much better burgers than they used to, all sorts of fajitas, cuban sandwiches, salads, fruit, soft serve, brownies and more.   We have been there four times since in various states of construction and fully opened and have enjoyed everything.

The pool has been freezing when we have been there, but we haven't been there in the middle of summer.  Ocean was warmer than the pool!

5 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Yes I have that freckled red head complexion. I didnt think of long sleeves. I played too much tennis

I searched for UV protected clothing on internet, and have purchased several items, not only for beach days, but shore excursions also.

The material they make those out of does not overheat you either.  

I have ave watched a ton of tennis over the years, here in Cincy we have a top tier event every year except this one.  DW and I volunteered out there for about 8 years

Eddie

• Thanks 1

Does CocooCay still have the nature trails?    Unfortunately our stops there were cancelled so we have no experience there.

I found this link to a Nature Walk excursion but I can't figure out if this is current.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/shoreExcursions/product/detail/view.do?ProductCode=ZCC7

Edited by fred30