Crystal Cruises vs. Seabourn Cruises

vslyko

1 hour ago, vslyko said:

Thank You so much sfvoyage.  It is really great to know that Seaborne goes out of their way to meet passengers requests.  This is the type of cruise line I love.  If I don't get definitive responses on this thread about the Coke Products and Heinz Ketchup I will just call Seaborne's Corporate On Board Services Office (or email them) to find out for sure.  

I am so looking forward to my first Seaborne Cruise.  All you folks seem so nice and kind.  And for some reason I bet the crew is just as nice and kind as everyone on this thread has been.

Thanks again sfvoyage!

You can email your request to:

GuestServices@seabourn.com

I usually email them my list 2 to 3 months ahead, and they will respond with progress and questions.

Once you've sailed with SB and become a Club Member, you can then email your club concierge.  (I am not sure, though, if the club concierge is available to all tiers of membership, but this wouldn't affect the outcome.)

BTW, it's Seabourn (not Seaborne)...  🙂

Edited by sfvoyage

58 minutes ago, vslyko said:

If I don't get definitive responses on this thread about the Coke Products and Heinz Ketchup I will just call Seaborne's Corporate On Board Services Office (or email them) to find out for sure. 

Seabourn serves ketchup and other condiments in small bowls so the brand is not identified unless you ask.  That said, my husband is a ketchup fiend and he thinks SB does indeed serve Heinz. 

As for Coke products, after booking you will have access to an on-line preference form that shows what beverages are available onboard.  You can indicate a special request beyond those listed.  In our experience, however, if you have a special request it's best not to rely on the online form alone.  Follow up with SB well in advance of departure to ensure that your preferences are noted.  As other have stated, SB will do all they can to accommodate your request, including going ashore in ports to find your pleasure.

Hope you enjoy your first Seabourn cruise!

Thank You so much Kayak lk, sfvoyage and Mighty Quinn.  It looks like they have what I want but to be sure I will definitely use the link you provided sfvoyage.  You guys know so much.  I always want to spell Seabourn wrong for some reason.  I have spelled it Seaborne, Seaborn, and the correct way Seabourn.  I'll never get it right.  Blame it on old age and my stupidity!!

Thanks again all you CC posters for all your input.  It is immensely appreciated.

15 hours ago, vslyko said:

I'm finally going to go on my first Seabourn Cruise ( I hope) depending on Covid-19 naturally.  I booked room 612 (category V-3) on Odyssey as a single passenger from Vancouver to Miami (October 1, 2021 to October 28, 2021).  I will spend two nights before the cruise at the Vancouver Fairmont Waterfront Hotel across from the terminal where the ship departs.  Hopefully I'll be able to stay a night or two post cruise in Miami but the Hotel Reservations have not opened up through Seabourn yet.  I am so exited even though the cruise is 13 months away.  I want to thank all the above posters for their input.  It sure has helped me a lot and I can not express my gratitude enough!

One final question--I sure hope they have Coca-Cola products on board.  I love my American Diet Coke (I detest Coca-Cola Light which only what is available in a lot of other countries) and Coke Zero.  The reason I ask is if by chance they don't offer it I will make a special request for it prior to the cruise through on board guest services.

Hopefully I'll see some of you Cruise Critic posters on board.  It sure would be nice to meet you.

THANKS AGAIN!!

I'm glad you booked your first Seabourn cruise.  I will be on the Odyssey from Sep 17, 2021 to Oct 8, 2021 (Alaska & Pacific Coast), so we will be on board at the same time for a week.  I'm also traveling solo and it's my first Seabourn cruise as well!  So, now we will both "know" someone!  I've heard Seabourn treats solo cruisers well.  Keeping fingers crossed our ship will sail!

Bill

Hi Bill a.k.a. CabinBoy2020,

I so look forward to seeing you on board to compare notes and just talk.  Usually there is a Cruise Critic Cocktail hour onboard and I hope to see you then if not sooner.  You must be leaving the ship in L.A.  I am assuming you are cruising up in Alaska  prior to me getting on the ship.  Is it your first time up there?  It is eye popping to say the least.  I sure hope you can walk on a glacier.  It is something you will never, ever forget.  And if you love Alaska you MUST go to Antarctica.  OMG!!  It actually feels like you're on another planet if you can survive the sometimes very rough seas of the Drake's Passage.  Unfortunately many of the towns in Alaska have changed a lot due to all the large cruise ships sailing there.  In the old days, the locals would come into town just to "gawk" at the tourists.  Now they pretty much stay clear of the touristy areas.  I had several encounters with many locals years ago and one can not believe the stories they had to tell.  Times sure have changed.  

Again I can't wait to meet you and see you in person.

Let's hope this Covid-19 pandemic is a memory by that time.

Steve

• Like 1

Hi again Bill a.k.a. CabinBoy2020,

Like I stated in an earlier post I do not know if you have been to Alaska before but I forgot to mention a tour that is "off the charts" at least in my opinion.  I have never been to Alaska as late in the season as you are going (I think the latest was just after Labor Day) but the whale watching boat tour in Juneau was great.  I do not know if the humpbacks are around there so late in the season but if they are they are everywhere.  I'm sure the tour director on Odyssey would know.  The boat is nothing fancy--after all it is Alaska--but if you like whale watching this is the tour to take.  They offer several whale watching tours in Alaska but the best by far was the one in Juneau.  Thought you might like to know.

I so look forward to seeing you once I board Odyssey on October 1st, 2011.

Take Care and Stay Safe!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, alwaysonaship said:

I am appalled at Crystal's response to your honest review.  We are entitled to our own opinions.  Instead of endeavoring to improve its standard, it is reciprocating by banning your presence.  Just a wild guess - buttering Crystal up may earn you a credit!

Onboard future cruise booking with Crystal was my norm , the only exception was my last cruise.  Delighted that this finally offered me a chance to emerge and discover comparable cruise lines.  I am so accustomed to Crystal to the point of immutable and obstinate. 

I encountered an issue with Seabourn on my third cruise, but it was swiftly resolved with the guest manager, who had an office adjacent to the Square.  If any issue is not within her scope, she will be in direct contact with the Seattle office for instructions.

This thread is an interesting read.   I like Crystal a lot.   Didn't begin until they went inclusive.  Mostly Serenity and twice on Symphony.   Serenity Hotel Managers live in two different worlds.   One very excellent and one extremely poor.  Poor to the point that we witnessed a crew work action on one five day cruise.  Call it a well organized work stoppage.   Enough to put anyone off on sailing Crystal again.

I'd say majority of unhappy current/former customers had a hard time switching to inclusive.   Like others, I find the passenger mix on Crystal to be one of their worse features......right next to the hard product standard cabins.  I favor bath amenities on SB, but the linens/towels superior on Crystal by wide margin.  Bars....I prefer Crystal's offering over SB.  Much better bartenders and entertainment.   SB keeps cutting and cutting to the point I find sitting in the Observation Bar a struggle on some cruises.  Food goes to Crystal.  Prego and Uma whatever beats Keller.   F&B has declined on SB more than Crystal IMO.

Berries, like many other things, you learn as you become familiar with the line you're sailing.   

SB has best loyalty program.  Nicest standard cabins.  As mentioned, it's off the book things that can happen  keeping customers smiling.   The more days sailed, the more you notice the special touches.

8 hours ago, SwankPooch said:

I am appalled at Crystal's response to your honest review.  We are entitled to our own opinions.  Instead of endeavoring to improve its standard, it is reciprocating by banning your presence.  Just a wild guess - buttering Crystal up may earn you a credit!

Onboard future cruise booking with Crystal was my norm , the only exception was my last cruise.  Delighted that this finally offered me a chance to emerge and discover comparable cruise lines.  I am so accustomed to Crystal to the point of immutable and obstinate. 

I encountered an issue with Seabourn on my third cruise, but it was swiftly resolved with the guest manager, who had an office adjacent to the Square.  If any issue is not within her scope, she will be in direct contact with the Seattle office for instructions.

Well that letter was very interesting, but i wouldN’t go back and cruise with them if it were free. I absolutely could not figure what all the hype was. The Crystal cheerleaders i am convinced get substantial discounts to say nothing but good things about the line. I just hope that we are all able to cruise again, safely on Seabourn as I would hate that Crystal would end up being my last cruise. They having, so many financial problems and it would be no shock if they went under.

On the other hand Seabourn is so accommodating that other lines could take a few lessons from them. 

What a coincidence that I met a couple who also experienced Seabourn for the first time after being a loyal customer of Crystal for years and finally decided to drop Crystal for good. They love the ambiance of the Ovation, the genuine attentiveness of the crew, the congenial nature of fellow cruisers, among all other things.

It is worthwhile to spend your vacation on whatever you feel at ease and enjoyable. Everybody has a different perspective in life.

By the way, after a lapse of absence on Crystal, I received a voucher for a large discount.  I did not voice my complaint to Crystal, but I did not even bother to return either.

Hi SwankPooch--After your last cruise on Serenity I can hardly blame you for for having no communication with Crystal.  I am just so sorry it was your last cruise before this whole Covid-19 Pandemic situation.  It must leave with with a "bitter taste in your mouth" to say the least.  Hopefully soon you will be on a Seabourn cruise again and enjoy it immensely.  By the way I was on a segment of the world cruise on Serenity many years ago and the cruisers who took the whole world cruise were very "snobbish" and had their own clique.  Even at on of the bars--the Starlight Lounge if I remember correctly--I sat in the "wrong " bar stool at the bar.  Apparently it was "reserved" for a world cruiser.  I was told to move to so as not upset this guest.  Naturally I did as was told but really...what difference does it make where one sits at a bar.

7 minutes ago, vslyko said:

Even at on of the bars--the Starlight Lounge if I remember correctly--I sat in the "wrong " bar stool at the bar.  Apparently it was "reserved" for a world cruiser.  I was told to move to so as not upset this guest.  Naturally I did as was told but really...what difference does it make where one sits at a bar.

I am curious as to "who told you to move"?  I experienced "semi-reserved" bar seats during a HAL world cruise.  Nobody told me to move, but I did get the "evil eye" when the "regulars" arrived.  I remained seated where I was while the "regulars" did find other seats in the Lounge.  

Incidentally, one could tell that the bartenders witnessing this were amused.     

Hi rkacruiser--It was a bartender behind the bar that asked me to move.  He or she did it in a very polite manner but given Crystal does not "reserve" any seats in the lounge shows, outside deck chairs by the pool, or bar stools and tables (other than in the main dining room at dinner at that time) I found it to be quite odd.  That world cruiser on Crystal (I am guessing) must have been a really big tipper because at that time it was not "all inclusive."

I know who you meant and i understand. We really hated that our Seabourn cruise late  in September in alaska was cancelled. However we just want to stay safe and that will be the way it will be until things improve. . 

we just love Seabourn , and the staff is lovely,  and the guests the same. I appreciate how they remember your names. Hopefully the end of next year we will be back sailing with them. 

Crystal IMHO needs to get over themselves. First of all their passengers are really old, and unless they get their act together, no one will want one of their  overpriced cruises.

Cheers to such a nice group. I need some of their guacamole. 

So sorry to hear about your cruise in late September being cancelled alwaysonaship.  But that's the way of the world these days it's so sad to say.  If this thread is any indication of how friendly the guests and passengers will be onboard I will love my first cruise on Seabourn.  I am so looking forward to it. I sure hope cruising resumes by then which is October, 2021.  If not, I wonder if the whole cruise industry will be destroyed.  I will probably love my first Seabourn cruise so much I will be hooked for life.  I just hope we can all cruise safely in the near future not only for us but most importantly for the crew and cruise companies also.  Have a wonderful weekend!

I know who you meant and i understand. We really hated that our Seabourn cruise late  in September in alaska was cancelled. However we just want to stay safe and that will be the way it will be until things improve. . 

we just love Seabourn , and the staff is lovely,  and the guests the same. I appreciate how they remember your names. Hopefully the end of next year we will be back sailing with them. 

Crystal IMHO needs to get over themselves. First of all their passengers are really old, and unless they get their act together, no one will want one of their  overpriced cruises.

Cheers to such a nice group. I need some of their guacamole. 

Seabourn people are good people. They are friendly, and i hope you are right. We need a cruise, but will Wait until it is safe. Hope we meet one day. Love their ships, crew, and friendly passengers. We had some great discussions in the Observation Bar. So much fun and great laughter.  Hope we meet sometime. 

Edited by alwaysonaship

Hopefully we meet sometime and our paths will cross alwaysonaship.  Until that time comes you stay safe.  That is by far the most important thing for everyone these days.  Cruising can always wait unless you are gone of course.  And I sure don't want that to happen to anyone but in this new reality of a world it is happening every day.  Take Care!

On 9/11/2020 at 6:56 PM, vslyko said:

Hi again Bill a.k.a. CabinBoy2020,

Like I stated in an earlier post I do not know if you have been to Alaska before but I forgot to mention a tour that is "off the charts" at least in my opinion.  I have never been to Alaska as late in the season as you are going (I think the latest was just after Labor Day) but the whale watching boat tour in Juneau was great.  I do not know if the humpbacks are around there so late in the season but if they are they are everywhere.  I'm sure the tour director on Odyssey would know.  The boat is nothing fancy--after all it is Alaska--but if you like whale watching this is the tour to take.  They offer several whale watching tours in Alaska but the best by far was the one in Juneau.  Thought you might like to know.

I so look forward to seeing you once I board Odyssey on October 1st, 2011.

Take Care and Stay Safe!

Thanks for recommending the excursion in Juneau.  Sounds fantastic.  On another thread, several Seabourn posters also offered very helpful information about cruising Alaska. I appreciate everyone's perspectives and am impressed with the knowledge and helpfulness of Seabourn cruisers.

To answer your question, I’ve been on a land trip to Alaska, but the Sep 2021 cruise will be my first Alaska cruise.  I think I’ll enjoy it more because, for me, being on a ship is really a superlative way to travel.

Have you thought about starting a Roll Call for your voyage?

Hi CabinBoy2020,

You will certainly enjoy seeing Alaska from the perspective of being on a ship.  Seeing and hearing the glaciers is quite something.

I see you suggested me doing a Roll Call for my sailing.  I know this may sound crazy but how does one even do that?  I am what some would call "computer illiterate."

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vslyko said:

Hi CabinBoy2020,

You will certainly enjoy seeing Alaska from the perspective of being on a ship.  Seeing and hearing the glaciers is quite something.

I see you suggested me doing a Roll Call for my sailing.  I know this may sound crazy but how does one even do that?  I am what some would call "computer illiterate."

Hahaha .... I was hoping you knew how to start a Roll Call because I don't either!  I think I can figure it out and will try to start one for the Vancouver to LA segment that we both will be on.  That will at least allow us to share thoughts and hopes about these future cruises.  Best wishes.

Hi Bill a.k.a. CabinBoy2020--Thanks for the response.  Good luck trying to figure out how to do a roll call.  I'm so glad to know I'm not the only one who really does not understand how the computer works.  Take care my friend and I sure hope you are successful in starting a roll call for both your Alaskan Cruise and the one from at least Vancouver to L.A.                                                                                                                                                                                                      Cordially,                                                                                                                                                                                                vslyko a.k.a. Steve

47 minutes ago, CabinBoy2020 said:

Hahaha .... I was hoping you knew how to start a Roll Call because I don't either!  I think I can figure it out and will try to start one for the Vancouver to LA segment that we both will be on.  That will at least allow us to share thoughts and hopes about these future cruises.  Best wishes.

2 hours ago, vslyko said:

Hi CabinBoy2020,

CabinBoy and vslyko - you've both created threads here on Seabourn forum and it's the same process on the Roll Calls.  Simply click the blue box "Start New Topic" here and voila.  Good luck to both of you!

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/537-seabourn-odyssey-roll-calls/

• Like 1