Iceland ports w/a scooter and/or rollator

DRS/NC

If all goes well & the Covid gremlins are under control next summer, I'm booked on a TA Princess cruise that makes 3 ports in Iceland.

I'm a "senior" w/mobility issues so I'll rent a scooter (as usual; yes, I have a HC cabin) & probably take my rollator (2-3 tender ports) too.  I'll be cruising solo.  [Yes, I know it's quite early for planning, but I NEED the distraction!]

Since I've never been to Iceland, I'll probably do only ship's excursions unless I can join some private tours from the roll call.

I would greatly appreciate any suggestions/advice you experienced Iceland-visitors can offer.

THANKS!

• 1 month later...

A few tips for you.  

As a disabled solo traveler that gets around with a cane, I am finding it increasingly difficult to cruise solo. 

For ship tours they often say that you just have a travel companion to accompany you if you have a wheelchair, I think a few require this.  My biggest limitation is usually getting on and off the buses- they are often steep steps and you have to get on and off a few times.  I’ve seen quite a few accidents from people getting off these buses. 

Anyways, specific to Iceland, I can tell you that the Blue Lagoon in Reykjavik has a handicapped dressing stall and staff will take you in a waterproof wheelchair down a ramp to get in the water.  Very helpful because otherwise you are in a large, wet, dressing room with shared shower area and lots of walking in between.  I’m not normally a hot springs person, but the atmosphere and landscape of Blue Lagoon is special, it is the most popular destination.  A ship tour is best because the location is far from the port and you need an appointment (which is often sold out). 

But, for your first time to Iceland, doing the Golden Circle tour is fantastic if weather is good.  I cannot recall exactly, but I’m pretty sure most of the stops involved well paved trails without much elevation change to see fantastic waterfalls, geysers, landscapes.  

I've also been to Akureyri port.  The first time I did this port I did the long trip that includes Goddafoss Falls and a stop at the gorgeous lake for lunch- with great weather I thought this drive and tour was fantastic. I remember the falls having a nice paved walk that I took, though other people took more adventurous paths.   In the afternoon went through some geothermal areas- but if you have been to Yellowstone, this doesn't compare.  With bad weather for my second time, I planned to walk through the village and get coffee but freezing rain and strong winds kept me from that.  Fortunately, across the parking lot from the cruise port is a small but interesting museum, and it is very accessible and a nice diversion. 

Isafjordur was a cute port.  I did a ship tour to an island to see puffins.  Despite it being an "Easy tour" the rocky ground at the island was very difficult.  With some help from one of the farmers on the island I was able to make it to more stable ground but not follow the people on the tour.  I was still able to see some puffins, watch the gorgeous seabirds and sealions.  I think the people on the tour felt it was a pretty easy walk through a mostly flat high grassy area, but I enjoyed my time on my own.  The boat trip there and back was also gorgeous and I saw some whales or dolphins.  It is definitely a smaller town and without a tour you will not see much.  Also, because it is so small, you have to book with the ship or check early for a private guide- most local guides are busy doing ship tours.  

• Like 1