Ship switch

janecambridge

Our sailing on Crown Princess has changed to Sky Princess. Same date and itinerary.We booked a deluxe aft balcony as we love  the aft cabins.These cabins don’t exist on Sky,They are called premium deluxe balcony and come at an extra cost,As Princess has switched ships,are we entitled to stay on the aft D Deck at no extra cost? That is surely our contract.? Thank you,

What does the advice from princess say you are entitled to?

Contracts are almost always worded in favour of the supplier

often to say we can make any changed we want.   There is usually

some sort of  "compensation" involved.    What are others saying

in your roll call?

Princess will give you a cabin that is the same category (Or higher) as the one you had on the Crown.  If you were in an aft cabin on Dolphin deck, it was a category B4 Premium Balcony cabin.  The Crown does not have Deluxe Balcony cabins.  
The Sky does not have any B4 cabins so they will likely put you in the category they deem to be equal to or better than a B4.

For the Crown guessing you had booked a Cat. B4, Premium Aft cabin on deck 9. There are no deluxe balcony cabins on the Crown. The Sky does not have category B4. The highest balcony cat. cabin they have is BA. Princess will most likely provide you with an upgrade to a Deluxe Balcony cabin on the Sky which could be any cabin from DA, which is the aft view, to DW which is obstructed view, and it could be anywhere on the ship. A deluxe balcony cabin does not have the same meaning premium cabin. Premium only refers to location on the ship. Deluxe cabins on Royal class ships are a little larger than balcony cat. cabins and contain a sofa. If you want the DA cabin on the Sky then I would suggest contacting Princess or your T.A. There may be additional fare involved as it would be a 6 to 8 category upgrade.

Note, don't confuse your booking with the passage contract.

Edited by skynight

8 hours ago, Abercrombie2019 said:

Princess will give you a cabin that is the same category (Or higher) as the one you had on the Crown.  If you were in an aft cabin on Dolphin deck, it was a category B4 Premium Balcony cabin.  The Crown does not have Deluxe Balcony cabins.  
The Sky does not have any B4 cabins so they will likely put you in the category they deem to be equal to or better than a B4.

So they put you in a cabin that THEY feel is equal or better than the one that you have - not what you feel is equal or better.  That does not feel like a good deal for you but what you can expect from the cruise line.  What recourse do you have?

DON

11 minutes ago, donaldsc said:

So they put you in a cabin that THEY feel is equal or better than the one that you have - not what you feel is equal or better.  That does not feel like a good deal for you but what you can expect from the cruise line.  What recourse do you have?

DON

You can cancel (if you are before final payment) or you could call and try to be moved to a room that you do find acceptable (probably within the room category that Princess has moved you to.)

Edited by Abercrombie2019
Added to answer.
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, donaldsc said:

DON

2 different class of ships.  Wait and see what they offer you and then decide.   You can always cancel and rebook something else.

1 hour ago, donaldsc said:

DON

Not exactly. You will be assigned to a category cabin that is equal or better, not less than the category you booked. Since there are no B4 category cabins on the ship it would mean that they would likely upgrade you to the next category level, which are Deluxe Balcony cabins.

Your recourse is to contact your T.A., or Princess if you booked directly, and address the situation, maybe you will get what you like. You have a shot. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, skynight said:

Not exactly. You will be assigned to a category cabin that is equal or better, not less than the category you booked. Since there are no B4 category cabins on the ship it would mean that they would likely upgrade you to the next category level, which are Deluxe Balcony cabins.

Your recourse is to contact your T.A., or Princess if you booked directly, and address the situation, maybe you will get what you like. You have a shot. 

My point was that since the OP specifically picked a premium aft cabin and I know that aft cabins always go fast, any cabin that they can assign the OP to  the new ship will not be close to equivalent to what they booked.   I realize that sometimes stuff happens but it seems to me that Princess owes the OP a significant bit of OBC to make up for the fact that they are being stuck in an inferior cabin.  I realize that the OP could just cancel the cruise but perhaps perhaps they do want to go on it but not in any type of a side balcony cabin.

DON

• Like 1

Yes Don you are right. We want an aft cabin, full stop. Nothing on the side of the ship. The cabin we chose cost more then we wanted to pay but it was the only choice. It really is about position, We don’t want to accept anything else. We particularly wanted this itinerary and are with a group of others. I figure I have a contract with them for an aft cabin. 
Princess have told us yesterday that we will hear end of September. I want to be prepared, so thank you everyone for your help. 👍

7 hours ago, janecambridge said:

Yes Don you are right. We want an aft cabin, full stop. Nothing on the side of the ship. The cabin we chose cost more then we wanted to pay but it was the only choice. It really is about position, We don’t want to accept anything else. We particularly wanted this itinerary and are with a group of others. I figure I have a contract with them for an aft cabin. 
Princess have told us yesterday that we will hear end of September. I want to be prepared, so thank you everyone for your help. 👍

Your original booking was on the Crown Princess (a Grand Class ship).  Your new booking will be on the Sky Princess (a Royal Class ship).  I know that you really want an aft cabin, but the two ships are very different.  Things that you love about the aft balconies on the Crown Princess may not be true about the Sky Princess.  For instance, Sky aft balconies do not appear to be fully covered.  You should do some research to find out which cabin you want before dealing with Princess.

Good luck.  I hope you get a cabin that you are happy with.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, janecambridge said:

Hi Jane,

Once Princess officially advise where they are relocating you, I suggest you check the pros and cons of that and if you are not very happy with the outcome, phone them up and have a chat.  Study the new ship's plans in great detail. If you politely stress why you selected your original cruise and cabin selection and that their solution falls woefully short.  Just ask can you do anything to improve on what you have been offered.  Talking to people at the cruise line is a very good way to get a better deal.

Regards John

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheRabbit said:

I wouldn't complain. Those of us who were booked on the Sky are now out of a cruise. Which result would you rather have, change room or no cruise?

We were booked on Crown for June 2021 and our cruise was just cancelled too.  I would have LOVED to have been moved to the Sky and kept my fare.  Now we have to wait until September 30 to rebook at whatever the current fare is with whatever rooms are left over after they move everyone who was lucky enough to be moved.

2 hours ago, TheRabbit said:

I wouldn't complain. Those of us who were booked on the Sky are now out of a cruise. Which result would you rather have, change room or no cruise?

Yes, just as TheRabbit said. We were booked together on the B2B Sky TA and Baltic

cruises. This was after Princess snatched the Regal from our April 2021 Transpacific!

I hope Princess gets their act together. I had a terrible thought that they put a person

in charge who likes to "experiment". We know some Event/ Show Coordinators who love

to do that just for fun and do not realize that they they are messing with people's businesses

and lives.

1 hour ago, jenf22 said:

We were booked on Crown for June 2021 and our cruise was just cancelled too.  I would have LOVED to have been moved to the Sky and kept my fare.  Now we have to wait until September 30 to rebook at whatever the current fare is with whatever rooms are left over after they move everyone who was lucky enough to be moved.

I wonder why some of us on the Crown got switched and some got cancelled.  I'm not on your specific cruise but that has happened on more than one cruise. 

Me, too!  I just hope there is an obstructed balcony cabin on the Sky I can book when Sept. 30th arrives.  All of it is unfortunate.   I had such a great price, OBC, other stuff for the first Baltic + TA.  The price when I checked for 2021 was nowhere near as good so I booked the Crown, now that's cancelled.  Everyone has a story and Princess isn't making it any easier for people.

5 minutes ago, suekel said:

I wonder why some of us on the Crown got switched and some got cancelled.  I'm not on your specific cruise but that has happened on more than one cruise. 

I think it's just date based.  We were June 7th British Isles on the Crown.  Now June 7th is a Baltic on the Sky.  I think the June 19th people on the Crown were just switched to the Sky because the itinerary is still British Isles.  I'm trying not to get too mad about it - I'll just rebook the Sky for the 19th when it's released.  I imagine there will be a room that will work for my family of three.  I might have to save more $$ based on the new price though.  I wish they would have offered us the option to switch ships and change the dates.  😞

• Like 1

My TA forwarded me the cancellation from Princess, then I received an email direct from Princess about the Sky itineraries.  I would check with where you booked the cruise like Dreamin suggests.  

Edited by susancruzs

10 hours ago, TheRabbit said:

Im not complaining. I am very happy to be on a ship as new as Sky. I’m just keen to have what I believe I have paid a deposit for. 

I am sorry you no longer have a cruise booked. I am not responsible for that but I do empathise. It has happened to us on more than one occasion. 
Hope you can get something to look forward to again. 👍

• Like 1

5 hours ago, maggie777 said:

We were booked on the Crown, British Isles, May 25,2021, Le Havre. We have heard nothing. 

We had an email direct from Princess. It was very subtle and looks a bit like a copy of the original booking. I’m assuming you have a hotel the night before too as the sailing date is 26th. 
Hope your TA can help out Maggie. Our TA knew nothing about it when I messaged them! 😱

7 hours ago, suekel said:

I know we were switched to Sky because it is a bigger ship for the popular itinerary. Many people want to travel from Southampton. (Princess told us yesterday) .

• Thanks 1