Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
doone

Cruise Withdrawals -- Anyone Else???

Recommended Posts

Am I the only one watching people's cruises posted on youtube wishing I was there right now????  This does help me get through not being able to sail, but the real thing would be much better...................

 

Let's hope we can sail sooner rather than later.........................😉

Edited by doone

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I lookt youtube frequently and I misscruising.  I was supposed to be in Alaska last June and was scheduled to go from Vacouver to Ft. Lauderdale.  The first one was a no-go and the second has already been cancelled.

Edited by Himself

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh for sure, I think a lot of us are going through withdrawal and disappointment from have to cancel and/or having our cruises cancelled.

 

We had the most beautiful land trip and cruise planned with dear friends to celebrate our 25th and DH’s retirement.  But, alas, safety is paramount for all of us 😉 

 

The thing that helped me was to actually book a new cruise, finally.  Yes, it’s a long time away, but it’s nice to see it’s on the horizon, plan and participate in a roll call again 😄 

 

And being far away, I’m very hopeful things will be safe to re-do our land tour we had planned and a great, enjoyable cruise 😄 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes - very depressing and disturbing.

Would never have imagined that the two annual cruises, planned and studied so carefully and so greatly anticipated, would be gone in the blink of an eye.

Eagerly awaiting the chance to resume in some palatable form.

Glad to have sailed in February without incident and hoping for January 2022, air & land till then.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, we miss cruising but when we look at the big picture we are so fortunate to be in good health and financially solvent.

 

Lot’s of folks grieving and hurting around the world. So we patiently await and count our Blessings.

 

Hopefully, we will be vaccinated and cruising next September 2021.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, kazu said:

The thing that helped me was to actually book a new cruise, finally.

Same here. Recently booked 62 day Transpacific and Circumnavigation of Australia next October on the Oosterdam. It gives me lots of ports to research and excursions to plan. It lets me dream of sea days and reminisce past cruises. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow am I ever experiencing WITHDRAWALS??  

 

I had a cruise booked on the Celebrity Apex coming up in November.  Of course I planned and planned.....cabins, hotels, excursions, etc....only to cancel..

 

Now I do have a partial transit PC coming up in March aboard Zuiderdam. I really don't know whether to start planning anything or not.....

 

But still I'm thankful for every cruise I HAVE been able to take.  How fortunate are we?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh absolutely! Had planned to do a New England cruise this Fall and winter cruise as well 😪    Hoping It will be sooner rather than later....I'm not getting any younger!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, aliaschief said:

Yes, we miss cruising but when we look at the big picture we are so fortunate to be in good health and financially solvent.

 

Lot’s of folks grieving and hurting around the world. So we patiently await and count our Blessings.

 

Hopefully, we will be vaccinated and cruising next September 2021.

 

 

 

Aliaschief's thoughts are the same as mine.  Am I depressed at times with this current situation?  Yes.  As the ability to safely take a cruise in the future appears to become increasingly long, given my senior status and health, my depression relating to travel of any type deepens into the possibility that my cruising and traveling days may be over.

 

What has been the result of this "enforced ban" on making travel plans and executing of them for me? 

 

(Que:  Barbara Streisand's "Memories" at this point in my post.)  Memories, memories of cruises and travel experiences and people--indeed--friends with whom I have as a result of those cruises have become paramount in keeping me seeing that the "glass is half full" for the future.

 

I know the pleasure that I have experienced because of my travels.  I know that I am a different person because of the various cultures that I have experienced.  I want those same kind of experiences for those younger than me.  If it is possible for me to have another such experience, I'll be grateful.  If that is not to be, so be it.   

 

   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a more generalized condition - travel malaise.   I had 3 major trips canceled for this year plus all of my business travel.  I never thought I would miss business travel.  
I am planning a small trek across 3 or 4 states to visit friends and relatives.   
 

there was a thread in Carnival about a joint press release from the major cruise lines demanding the government let them begin cruising 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

I am planning a small trek across 3 or 4 states to visit friends and relatives.   

 

I cannot bring myself to do something like this yet.  Good wishes for a successful trip if you do it.  

 

29 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

there was a thread in Carnival about a joint press release from the major cruise lines demanding the government let them begin cruising 

 

I didn't see this, but it would have been my "laugh for the day".  What leverage do they have for such a "demand"?

 

If Micky Arison's reported conversations with the 45th President of the United States when all of this began had no impact, why would such a "demand" have any impact?    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

 

I cannot bring myself to do something like this yet.  Good wishes for a successful trip if you do it.  

 

 

I didn't see this, but it would have been my "laugh for the day".  What leverage do they have for such a "demand"?

 

If Micky Arison's reported conversations with the 45th President of the United States when all of this began had no impact, why would such a "demand" have any impact?    

I am wondering if they might challenge the CDC’s power to regulate.   Of course the court challenge could be lengthy but by virtue of the publicity of such an action they may generate public and political sympathy.   They are pointing out that they are being allowed to sail elsewhere 

 

my trip is 5 hour driving segments and state park cabin stays

Edited by Mary229

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am aching to cruise.  My husband and I miss it so much.  We've had 4 cruises cancelled, and with the last one, I transferred my Future Cruise Deposit to a transatlantic sailing in November, 2021, in hopes that we will really get to go this time.  I am still working and am burned out completely, but since I am working from home in my PJs most days, I really shouldn't complain.  I'm truly grateful to be employed in a great job.  My leave bank is busting at the seams.

 

I will continue to dream of my upcoming cruise and look at videos, watch Dream Cruises and look at old pictures, and new itineraries....  Someday we will get to cruise again.  My fingers are crossed bigly for that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

 

Aliaschief's thoughts are the same as mine.  Am I depressed at times with this current situation?  Yes.  As the ability to safely take a cruise in the future appears to become increasingly long, given my senior status and health, my depression relating to travel of any type deepens into the possibility that my cruising and traveling days may be over.

 

What has been the result of this "enforced ban" on making travel plans and executing of them for me? 

 

(Que:  Barbara Streisand's "Memories" at this point in my post.)  Memories, memories of cruises and travel experiences and people--indeed--friends with whom I have as a result of those cruises have become paramount in keeping me seeing that the "glass is half full" for the future.

 

I know the pleasure that I have experienced because of my travels.  I know that I am a different person because of the various cultures that I have experienced.  I want those same kind of experiences for those younger than me.  If it is possible for me to have another such experience, I'll be grateful.  If that is not to be, so be it.   

 

   

Very well said! We wait and if we cruise again it will be a very special cruise!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If anything, the behaviour of the cruise lines in the early stages and the covid challenge itself has made us reluctant to even think about cruising in the near term again.  

 

We have enjoyed our cruises however our world does not revolve around cruising.

Edited by iancal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As I sit here in Oregon looking at the dense smoke outside (and smelling it in the house) I'm thankful that my house hasn't been burned down. I was supposed to have a procedure today that was cancelled due to the fires. I've been trying to have that done for 9 months. We had a 9-day cross country trip planned for April that was yanked out from under us. I haven't even been to the grocery store since March. So, do I miss cruising? You bet! Luckily our last one included all the kids and grand kids and even the scrapbook for that one is done.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, aliaschief said:

Very well said! We wait and if we cruise again it will be a very special cruise!

 

Thank you!  It would be a honor and a joy if I could cruise with your wife and you once again.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 months of cruises a year , one spring, one fall for over 10 straight years....so yes am missing it but also trying to come up with new adventures for next couple of years if necessary. Not very many places that I can go now that I want to visit.  Thailand and Viet Nam are old standbys but they are shut down pretty tight now and don't seem likely to open again anytime soon.  Mexico is a maybe...or may just stay home in Hawaii which is not all bad.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m missing all forms of travel.  Two cruises cancelled this year. A trip to Iceland cancelled, rescheduled, and cancelled again.  Didn’t make my annual golf trip to Canada this summer.  Won’t be making my annual golf trip to Williamsburg next month.  I am ready to go!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We miss travel.  I miss planning for it.  We would normally be in Europe at this time of year.  Our winter will be spent in the cold and snow vs some warm climate.   Spring travel is probably not going to happen either based on today’s comments from Dr. Fauci and others.
 

We will have to hunker down and look forward to late fall 2021 travel at the earliest...land or sea. No use moping  about or feeling sorry for ourselves.  A true first world problem.  At least we are safe.
 

Even some of the guidebooks have delayed publication.  Several that we were looking  to buy  have slipped a year to 9/21 Cannot blame the publisher.   Instead., I will buy a Thai cooking book and DIY.

Edited by iancal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, iancal said:

I miss planning for it.  

 

 

Cunard's old slogan was "Getting there is half the fun".  Planning for "getting there" is a major part of my fun.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/11/2020 at 11:48 AM, grsnovi said:

As I sit here in Oregon looking at the dense smoke outside (and smelling it in the house) I'm thankful that my house hasn't been burned down. I was supposed to have a procedure today that was cancelled due to the fires. I've been trying to have that done for 9 months. We had a 9-day cross country trip planned for April that was yanked out from under us. I haven't even been to the grocery store since March. So, do I miss cruising? You bet! Luckily our last one included all the kids and grand kids and even the scrapbook for that one is done.


I am right there with you! I have been dreaming about another cruise all day, as I stare out my window praying for everyone in the path of the Oregon fires. First time in a Level 2 evacuation situation. What I wouldn’t give to be cruising in Alaska right now! 

What a year this has been - stay safe everyone and hopefully we will all be cruising again soon!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/10/2020 at 12:04 PM, doone said:

Am I the only one watching people's cruises posted on youtube wishing I was there right now????  This does help me get through not being able to sail, but the real thing would be much better...................

 

Let's hope we can sail sooner rather than later.........................😉

Yes, I am going through it too..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For the most part, no, though it is a disappointment to have missed Japan this year.  It would have been nice to at least fly somewhere, such as Hawaii, Cayman, or Aruba.  I think half of what I enjoy most about cruising is the anticipation, fingers are crossed for 2021.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...