Delta first/business class?

39august

19 hours ago, 39august said:

Is Delta currently serving any drinks in this class, please? 

I've flown domestic first a couple of times this summer.  They are handing out the small Dasani water bottles, and beer and wine are options.  As I recall, they are still not offering mixed drinks, at least not domestically.  Not sure about international or transcontinental business class.

2 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

Is there any service prior to take-off?

No predeparture beverages.  I guess the opinion is that FAs would have to be going back and forth through the cabin during boarding, meaning they'd be squeezing by pax so hard to social distance.  I'm thinking that one one of my flights the FA may have handed out the ziplocs with water bottle and snacks before we took off but after everyone in F was seated??  Or I could be remembering wrong; wasn't really paying attention.

36 minutes ago, waterbug123 said:

No predeparture beverages.  I guess the opinion is that FAs would have to be going back and forth through the cabin during boarding, meaning they'd be squeezing by pax so hard to social distance.  I'm thinking that one one of my flights the FA may have handed out the ziplocs with water bottle and snacks before we took off but after everyone in F was seated??  Or I could be remembering wrong; wasn't really paying attention.

I appreciate you answering my question.  The difficulty that the FC Flight Attendant has in serving passengers during boarding in "normal" times would be a good reason to hold off service until all passengers at the gate are aboard.  

Boarding Economy Class passengers by the rear or middle doors might be a possibility while First Class passengers would only board from the front door.  That is if the airline would choose to try to restore pre-departure First Class service that we received prior to Covid-19.

40 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

Boarding Economy Class passengers by the rear or middle doors might be a possibility while First Class passengers would only board from the front door.  That is if the airline would choose to try to restore pre-departure First Class service that we received prior to Covid-19.

Of course, that would require a dual jet-bridge arrangement to utilize two doors on the aircraft.  While those were occasionally used in the 60s and 70s, the main place you find them nowdays is for gates specially dedicated to A380 operations.  Which no USA carrier operates.

Is a pre-departure beverage THAT important?  (And yes, that used to be a big conversation point on FT).

13 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

Even if it were theoretically possible (see Flyertalker's reply) I doubt Delta is going to prioritize that during covid.  Best one might hope for is that on 757s, where boarding door is behind the F cabin, the FAs could start resuming service of PDBs once F is seated.

19 hours ago, FlyerTalker said:

While those were occasionally used in the 60s and 70s, the main place you find them nowdays is for gates specially dedicated to A380 operations.  Which no USA carrier operates.

When I flew from Singapore on a Singapore Airlines 777, the First Class jetway was separate from the Business and  Economy jetway.  I recall Business boarded before Economy.  

Is a pre-departure beverage THAT important?  (And yes, that used to be a big conversation point on FT).

In the larger scheme of things, of course not.  But, it is part of the service that is what passengers are paying for as Ashland says.  

19 hours ago, Ashland said:

I am just hoping that FC/Business international service (DL/KLM) resumes by the time I fly end of July 2021...and yes, considering the price I'll be paying, everything is important to me :classic_wink:

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Budget Queen said:

Of course it depends on the length of the flight.   But I flew 2,  2 hour,  first class domestic, within the past 3 weeks and there was NO beverage service.   🤩🤩

It's not relevant to the length of the flight.  Such service in First Class is unacceptable to me regardless of the length of the flight.  What's the advantage to a domestic First Class ticket?

Priority boarding so that one can sit in a wider seat with more leg room with your mask on for a longer period of time before take-off.

Better opportunity for space in the overhead bins for luggage.

First off the plane just as one was first on the plane.

Oh yes, I cannot forget that special Sky Priority Tag on my luggage so that my luggage would be among the first available at baggage claim.  (What about my experience where my so tagged bag did not appear?  And was missing for 24+ hours.  That bag "earned" more frequent flyer miles than I did on that itinerary when it was returned.  Vancouver-Salt Lake City-Minneapolis-Detroit-Dayton on a flight that should have been Vancouver-Minneapolis-Dayton.  The Sky Priority tag surely made a difference?)

Then, there was the very early morning wake-up call from the bag's delivery driver to inform me that my bag was sitting on my front porch when it did reach DAY.  Yep.  That's First Class service.  I THINK NOT!  

3 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

It's not relevant to the length of the flight.  Such service in First Class is unacceptable to me regardless of the length of the flight.  What's the advantage to a domestic First Class ticket?

Priority boarding so that one can sit in a wider seat with more leg room with your mask on for a longer period of time before take-off.

Better opportunity for space in the overhead bins for luggage.

First off the plane just as one was first on the plane.

Oh yes, I cannot forget that special Sky Priority Tag on my luggage so that my luggage would be among the first available at baggage claim.  (What about my experience where my so tagged bag did not appear?  And was missing for 24+ hours.  That bag "earned" more frequent flyer miles than I did on that itinerary when it was returned.  Vancouver-Salt Lake City-Minneapolis-Detroit-Dayton on a flight that should have been Vancouver-Minneapolis-Dayton.  The Sky Priority tag surely made a difference?)

Then, there was the very early morning wake-up call from the bag's delivery driver to inform me that my bag was sitting on my front porch when it did reach DAY.  Yep.  That's First Class service.  I THINK NOT!  

I'm just reporting what I experienced recently.    Currently there was no beverage service on the 2 first class flights-  domestic that I was on.    Didn't matter to me.   It was announced prior to boarding,  so warning given.    It did make a difference-  due to the amount of time as a longer flight did have beverage service.    

• Thanks 1

On 9/12/2020 at 3:47 PM, rkacruiser said:

When I flew from Singapore on a Singapore Airlines 777, the First Class jetway was separate from the Business and  Economy jetway.  I recall Business boarded before Economy. 

Entirely different situation than a domestic first class flight; long haul international aircraft are much larger and it's more common to have a 2-door boarding set-up.  You aren't generally going to find that domestically.

16 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

You're entitle to your opinion.  But I think most people would find that the larger seat is the main advantage for a domestic flight. (plus priority check-in, additional free baggage allowance, and dedicated bin space) Pre-departure bev is nice, but I'm not going to start complaining because they've temporarily stopped that in the interest of social distancing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, waterbug123 said:

ou're entitle to your opinion.  But I think most people would find that the larger seat is the main advantage for a domestic flight. (plus priority check-in, additional free baggage allowance, and dedicated bin space) Pre-departure bev is nice, but I'm not going to start complaining because they've temporarily stopped that in the interest of social distancing.

The advantages you mention are good reasons for booking First Class.  I agree.  Please don't think that I am "complaining" about a pre-departure beverage not being served.  That's not my point.  My point is that a pre-departure beverage is part of First Class/Business Class service that I expect will again be provided when, and if, "normality" to travel is able to resume.  

I am learning that amenities that once were provided by many different hospitality companies, i.e. hotels, are disappearing because of Covid-19 concerns.  When, and if, normality to travel does resume, will these companies then decide:  "Gee, we still got customers without a free buffet breakfast?  Do we really need to continue this pre-Covid amenity?  (This is just an example of my concern.)  

Given the financial condition that will likely exist for the airlines, reducing pre-Covid First Class service post-Covid would save some money.  

29 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

I am learning that amenities that once were provided by many different hospitality companies, i.e. hotels, are disappearing because of Covid-19 concerns.  When, and if, normality to travel does resume, will these companies then decide:  "Gee, we still got customers without a free buffet breakfast?  Do we really need to continue this pre-Covid amenity?  (This is just an example of my concern.) 

Many of those hotels are providing some kind of "grab and go" packaged breakfast.  Wrapped food, muffins, fruits and beverages.  Had a recent hotel with microwave breakfast burritos -- again, a packaged item for individual use.  Staff asked for my feedback on the items provided and if I had any suggestions.  Thought that individual microwaved items were a great idea.  Also seeing mini cereal boxes and little milk containers.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FlyerTalker said:

Many of those hotels are providing some kind of "grab and go" packaged breakfast.  Wrapped food, muffins, fruits and beverages.  Had a recent hotel with microwave breakfast burritos -- again, a packaged item for individual use.  Staff asked for my feedback on the items provided and if I had any suggestions.  Thought that individual microwaved items were a great idea.  Also seeing mini cereal boxes and little milk containers.

I am aware of what you have experienced.  I put this in the "it's better than nothing" category.  It is a diminishing of the service that had been provided pre-Covid.  Such a service is not going to be as costly for the hotel as a hot buffet breakfast with an attendant available responsible for that area.

OK for now?  Yes.  My concern is that the mind set will be in the Executive Suites post-Covid:  "We got away with this then, why not continue it?"

• Like 1

14 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

OK for now?  Yes.  My concern is that the mind set will be in the Executive Suites post-Covid:  "We got away with this then, why not continue it?"

And why were they provided in the first place....to create a marketing sales advantage.  When Hyatt puts the hot breakfast back, will Hilton say "let them do it....we'll save the bucks"?  Or will they say "gotta match them to stay competitive"?

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

I am aware of what you have experienced.  I put this in the "it's better than nothing" category.  It is a diminishing of the service that had been provided pre-Covid.  Such a service is not going to be as costly for the hotel as a hot buffet breakfast with an attendant available responsible for that area.

Then can not our mindset be "we will not use them for this perceived lack of amenity"???

At least one carrier will bring some of it back to some degree or fully as time moves forward.

bon voyage

• Like 1

19 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

The advantages you mention are good reasons for booking First Class.  I agree.  Please don't think that I am "complaining" about a pre-departure beverage not being served.  That's not my point.  My point is that a pre-departure beverage is part of First Class/Business Class service that I expect will again be provided when, and if, "normality" to travel is able to resume.  

Sorry if I misread; it came across as you being upset that PDBs were not currently being offered.  As for their return, they'll be back if for no other reason that competitive edge.  See my further reply below.

Interesting that you mention this.  I remember back in the day, when budget hotels first started offering free breakfast.  It was pretty much as you describe....mini cereal boxes and single serve milk cartons, whole fruit, and maybe a toaster station or individually wrapped muffins.  Then a few realized if they had bowls of ice out there to keep the milk cold, they could add cartons of yogurt too, and maybe hard boiled eggs.  The toaster and pastry options gradually increased, they began adding cut fruit, and then someone decided that they would get the edge by adding a hot item and the rest followed suit.  Now they have dedicated kitchen prep areas and dedicated staff to put on a full breakfast assortment, often including 3 or 4 chafing dishes of hot items, multiple waffle irons, and hot beverage centers with sometimes 3 or 4 different types of coffee, an assortment of hot teas, and hot chocolate.

Each "step up" in offerings was to gain competitive edge.  Others followed and it became the norm.  They will be back after Covid.  Even if one thought, hey we managed without, we don't need to bring it back, someone else will and they'll be forced to keep up or lose market share.  Same with pre-departure beverages in first class on airlines, and the other cabin services that have been curtailed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Bo1953 said:

Then can not our mindset be "we will not use them for this perceived lack of amenity"???

At least one carrier will bring some of it back to some degree or fully as time moves forward.

bon voyage

😀😀   Absolutely!  "Vote with our feet"---and our $$$!

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, waterbug123 said:

Sorry if I misread; it came across as you being upset that PDBs were not currently being offered.  As for their return, they'll be back if for no other reason that competitive edge.  See my further reply below.

Interesting that you mention this.  I remember back in the day, when budget hotels first started offering free breakfast.  It was pretty much as you describe....mini cereal boxes and single serve milk cartons, whole fruit, and maybe a toaster station or individually wrapped muffins.  Then a few realized if they had bowls of ice out there to keep the milk cold, they could add cartons of yogurt too, and maybe hard boiled eggs.  The toaster and pastry options gradually increased, they began adding cut fruit, and then someone decided that they would get the edge by adding a hot item and the rest followed suit.  Now they have dedicated kitchen prep areas and dedicated staff to put on a full breakfast assortment, often including 3 or 4 chafing dishes of hot items, multiple waffle irons, and hot beverage centers with sometimes 3 or 4 different types of coffee, an assortment of hot teas, and hot chocolate.

Each "step up" in offerings was to gain competitive edge.  Others followed and it became the norm.  They will be back after Covid.  Even if one thought, hey we managed without, we don't need to bring it back, someone else will and they'll be forced to keep up or lose market share.  Same with pre-departure beverages in first class on airlines, and the other cabin services that have been curtailed.

What you posted is what has been in my thoughts post-Covid.  I remember the "evolution" of the "included breakfast" with one's hotel room.  I remember my surprise the first time that "Scrambled Eggs and Bacon" were available where I stayed.  "Competitive Edge":  that has been and, I agree, will remain part of the business model for the hospitality industry.  

I wonder, though, what will be the starting point for amenities post-Covid?  Will be back to the bare minimums of yesteryear?  Then, the "Competitive Edge" concept kicks in and we will have another "evolution" of amenities?  

Maybe this seems a strange thing for me to say, but, for those of us who are interested in the leisure/hospitality industry, looking forward to what will happen post-Covid is something to look forward to during the current bleak time period for the industry.  

17 hours ago, purduemom1 said:

I’d be willing to give up the PDB and scrambled eggs for a cleaner, safer environment. 

Personally, there have only been a very small number of times when I felt that the hotel that I booked was not as clean as it ought to have been.  One such hotel was part of a well known chain in Lake City, Florida.  I had been a guest at several of the same Brand of hotels in the past with no concerns.  This one was sufficiently disappointing that I have never patronized that Brand again nor will I do so in the future,

As I have become more senior, the amenities that I enjoy have become more important to me than when I was 30-40 years younger.  If I am going to pay a "First Class" price, I expect "First Class" service.  

1 hour ago, rkacruiser said:

Personally, there have only been a very small number of times when I felt that the hotel that I booked was not as clean as it ought to have been.  One such hotel was part of a well known chain in Lake City, Florida.  I had been a guest at several of the same Brand of hotels in the past with no concerns.  This one was sufficiently disappointing that I have never patronized that Brand again nor will I do so in the future,

Of course, you do know that most hotels are franchisees.  So the standards at Hotel X may have been bad, but that's mostly a reflection on the particular management of that hotel, not the master branding.

It's easy to find out if you are at a franchise location or not, then to find out the actual management.

One thing you should do it bring that to the attention of the brand owner.  They want to know the performance of their franchisees and guest feedback is the best way for them (they can't inspect every hotel 24/7).  Plus, it will often result in a spiff towards future stays.

And if that particular location turned you off, don't go back to that specific hotel.  Especially since you visited other properties and were satisfied.  If you got lousy french fries at one McDonalds, would that keep you from visiting any other in the world?  (Using McD for example only -- substitute any brand/chain you wish).