The Daily for Friday Sep 11, 2020

richwmn

today is 911 Remembrance

Any fool can paint a picture, but it takes a wise person to be able to sell it.

Meal suggestion for today - Grilled Steak Salad with Tomatoes & Avocado

Drink of the Day - Blue Lagoon

Wine of the day - Penner-Ash Pinot Noir Yamhill-Carlton District Shea Vineyard vintage 2016

At Sea Atlantic
Eurodam destination Sint Eustatius eta 9/15
Nieuw Amsterdam destination Sint Eustatius eta 9/14
Volendam destination Scheveningen eta 9/14

At Sea Pacific
Oosterdam destination unknown at this time but on the map she appears to be at Balboa

Balboa Panama
Koningsdam

Gibraltar
Westerdam

Limassol Cyprus
Noordam
Zuiderdam

Rosyth GB
Rotterdam

Scheveningen NL Anchorage
Amsterdam
Nieuw Statendam
Zaandam

Aigio Greece
Maasdam -- Ship name as reported by AIS: AEGEAN MYTH

Katakolo
Veendam -- Ship name as reported by AIS: AEGEAN MAJESTY

0911World.png

• Like 10
  • Thanks 3

Thank you for the daily.  So true on the quote.  I like the steak salad idea but will do something else.  I'm going to start with a 9/11 version of my lists with the regular lists coming later:

9/11 In memoriam and heroes

In memory of:

Firefighter Keven O’Rourke, FDNY
PANYNJ Police Officer Bruce Reynolds–Officer Reynolds was on patrol on the George Washington Bridge and diverted to the World Trade Center where he perished in the Collapse of the South Tower

memorial.jpg

Captain John Ogonowski, AA 11, World Trade Center
Captain Victor Saracini, UA 175, W/orld Trade Center
Captain Jason Dahl, UA 93, Shanksville, PA
Captain Charles Burlingame, AA 77. Pentagon–”A pilot will fight to the ends of the earth to save his aircraft–He just will!”  Captain Beverly Bass
2990 others that day
At least 2000 since then from illness related to toxic substances encountered during rescue

My 9/11 Heroes(Manyy now retired)

Captain Beverly Bass(Ret)
Mayor Claude Elliott(Ret)
Constable Oz Fudge(Ret)
Gander Academy teacher Diane Davis and Gander Legion Staffer Beulah Cooper (together Beulah Davis)
Reporter Janice Goudie and Brian Moser (Together Janice Moser)
Nick and Diane
Kevin Tuereff
and SPCA Executive Bonnie Harris

We will and should never forget the horror of 9/11 but I firmly believe that if that is ALL we remember it's a victory for the terrorists.

Roy

Edited by rafinmd
  • Like 19
  • Thanks 1

Today’s care list:

Mrs Vmax

Caregiver Gsel and her DH battling Alzheimers

The Bird in Hand fire chief and son Jason

Prompt repairs on Debbie’s new roof

Lindialer

Sososailor

Smoke for Victoriann AndiLand, and her in-laws

Himself for an easy pacemaker placement

and Krazy Kruisers and Joe

Today's Celebrations and shoutouts:

Occasional contributors like CM1984, HALsailor

Front line health workers

Cruising-along’s road trip

Denise and David back home

Getaway for Ger77

Mask makers

Scrapnana hasn’t posted lately but people who support Project Linus

and THIS COMMUNITY

Roy

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, rafinmd said:

We will and should never forget the horror of 9/11 but I firmly believe that if that is ALL we remember it's a victory for the terrorists.

Roy

Amen to that Roy.  Thank you both for giving us all the daily and a little ray of sunshine each day while we are all stuck on land instead of being at sea.  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Good morning.

Thank you for the Daily.

I just got back from walking the dog, according to our outdoor thermometer, it's 6C (42F).  Where did the summer go? 

Like everyone, I remember where I was when I heard about the attacks on September 11, 2001.  Sending prayers to all the families.

• Like 7

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich!

Roy thank you for our Care and Celebration lists. I was going to suggest toasting the heroes of that day including the citizens of Gander, but you beat me to it. 

Morning Dailyites & my Sisters.

Prayers to those who need our support & for a smooth procedure for Father.

Cheers to the many heroes of the world and to all who are celebrating.

Stay well everyone.

Pinot Noir fans - this is a superbly rated wine. Priced right at the top of my budget @$49.99. 

#76 Wine Spectator Top 100 of 2019

Aromas of strawberry jam and hibiscus tea. The palate delights with the warm richness of a sweet berry reduction, combined with more savory notes of vanilla, tobacco and earth. Acidity and tannins are beautifully integrated for a soft and silky finish.

WS94
Wine Spectator
Elegant yet dynamic, with violet, raspberry and spiced cinnamon flavors that build richness and structure toward refined tannins. Drink now through 2026.
  • Like 9

Good morning and thank you for the daily updates.  Nineteen years ago and those scenes are etched vividly in our minds.  Remembering and paying tribute to all those who sacrificed their lives and to the families they left behind.  🦋💐

• Like 10

image.jpeg.43955229b454a55768e1753393e5a3bc.jpeg

Dear Rich, Thank you for keeping us all together on the Daily. Your dedication is appreciated.

Good morning sisters Ann and Denise. Denise we toasted you and David a few times last night. Maybe 3..

Ann the wine is over my budget for a red wine, as I will only take a sip or 3. I'll put it on my gift list though.

Roy thank you for the beautiful recognition of special people who touched your life, and for all those we lost on 9-11.

We will raise a glass to those who fought so valiantly. We were in Yellowstone when the 1st plane hit the tower. We had gone on a 5 day trip with guys and wives Allen flew with in Vietnam. A surreal experience I could never put into words.

Love to all on this day. Reaching out with prayers to all who have friends, family, loved ones who gave their lives for the love of our country. A special prayer to @Himself as he has his pacemaker installed. God bless you Father!

• Like 11

Thank you for the Daily, Rich and our morning smile 🙂 

Today is a sad memory indeed.  Lest we not forget.

34362A1F-80AA-4408-937E-FC2B5560B14B.thumb.jpeg.b1f6e15e885df8b74e36a0a557da1944.jpeg

Love the quote.  Dinner sounds like a great idea.  I better go get some avocado this morning 😉.  I’ll pass on the red wine but there will be wine tonight for sure 😉 

Just a few dahlias for today.  They are having fun blooming now 🙂 

0DCC50C7-32B7-4190-A00A-4C3A0589F0BB.thumb.jpeg.6915002d474efe650ed3a4be53edd249.jpeg

DA7A67FD-F1C5-4ACC-96E7-FDBF6EC8592A.thumb.jpeg.e675209f64a081948aa78a99cd5e0145.jpeg

B16A4F76-E212-4138-A6C2-94894905F24D.thumb.jpeg.912321b364dcdee0c24b342cd0e7d95a.jpeg

C504C51C-A663-440A-9B9B-A859CD0B5A77.thumb.jpeg.853d71b62db64f5f5b0b785268834d86.jpeg

61C7F92C-86F1-4E6A-99A7-899BA3E2D304.thumb.jpeg.fa44497d598720a871528178e49431a1.jpeg

Prayers to everyone on our Care list and best wishes to Father for a safe surgery & speedy recovery today.  I’ll raise my glass later today to toast all of those on the Celebration list.

Have a great TGIF everyone.  Stay safe and don’t forget your masks.

• Like 14

Rich & Roy,

As a former AA flight attendant (stewardess then) I lost part of my "family" on 9/11.  In fact , I once flew with two of the people who died that day. As we watched in horror, and remember today, please remember the family they left behind. And the flight attendants that serve you when you fly again are not there just to bring you that wine, but to get you out of that aircraft if necessary and to keep you safe.

Barbara

• Like 23
  • Thanks 2

Good morning.  Somber morning for all of us.  Thank you Rich and Roy for the consistency of these threads.  It is our happy place in these stressful times.

The quote is great for today and the meal sounds yummy.

Blue Lagoon

Ingredients

• 1 oz Vodka
  • 1 oz Blue curaçao
  • 4 oz Lemonade
  • Garnish: Orange wheel
  • Garnish: Maraschino cherry

Stay safe, social distance, and wear your mask.

Prayers for the lists and for Father's procedure.

• Like 7

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  We're back from our brief getaway - when heading to a lake, we normally like to spend more time, but didn't want to tire out our hosts who are 87 and 85.  We had gorgeous weather for the trip and the leaves are changing colour, so it made it all even more enjoyable.

We remember the events of Sept 11, 2001 with clarity; DH and I watched the live feed as the second plane crashed into the tower - a scene that will remain etched in our memories forever.  I still get chills up my spine thinking of the events of that day.

I love the menu suggestion, but will leave off the avocado when I go for groceries today.  I think the steak with a nice salad and dilled potatoes will make a fine dinner for us tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for those who need them (especially Himself with his new pacemaker), and even for those who don't think they do.  Be safe, stay well!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 8

Here are a couple of photos of the area we visited; it's a small, beautiful lake surrounded by trees and the park doesn't allow any motorized vehicles on it.  The only way you can go out on the lake is either by swimming, canoe, kayak, rowboat or paddleboard.  In the evening, we were serenaded by the call of the loons.   Idyllic!

image.jpeg.484c15d050ab867825f56f0c5e2e16d6.jpeg

image.jpeg.94444cd0ea9eed48cfffdc3355a158e5.jpeg

image.jpeg.2e8fa0073d228b3357a07d90874e261d.jpeg

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 15

We will never forget the lives lost and sacrifices made then and still today.

9/11 happened on day four, Belgium, of my first cruise and first trip anywhere solo.  Old Noordam 14 days Copenhagen to Rome.  Paris, Provence, Tuscany, everything I couldn't wait to see.  I will always be grateful to HAL, the captain and crew who worked hard to make us all feel safe and looked after.   We were able to make ship calls for free at any time, especially to our anxious families at home, and anyone who needed assistance to leave the ship right away was taken care of.    International CNN and constant ship updates became our lifelines.  We became a close knit ship community and were warmly welcomed in all the ports.  So the world changed and me along with it.   39 cruises and over 500 days at sea later, I still love cruising the world and I'm thankful every day for the opportunity.  

Prayers and Cheers! 

• Like 9

43 minutes ago, ger_77 said:

Here are a couple of photos of the area we visited; it's a small, beautiful lake surrounded by trees and the park doesn't allow any motorized vehicles on it.  The only way you can go out on the lake is either by swimming, canoe, kayak, rowboat or paddleboard.  In the evening, we were serenaded by the call of the loons.   Idyllic!

image.jpeg.484c15d050ab867825f56f0c5e2e16d6.jpeg

image.jpeg.94444cd0ea9eed48cfffdc3355a158e5.jpeg

image.jpeg.2e8fa0073d228b3357a07d90874e261d.jpeg

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

Lovely! Wonderful pictures!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thank you Rich and Roy, and everyone for the beautiful photos!

As one who lived thru 9-11 with smoke blowing over my house, papers landing in my yard, a husband working just a few blocks away from the site and a son on the front lines...it is truly something I will never forget.

On another note, I have been wondering if anyone has heard from Scrapnana or Bill & Mary Ann? I don't know them personally, just loved following along on their blogs.

• Like 6