The Daily for Friday Sep 11, 2020

richwmn

🌺GOOD MORNING ALL!! Rich thank you for the quote,  since we had steak last night I will have to figure something different than your suggestion! 

🌺Today is a day of remembrance of a tragic 😞😞

horrific 9/11!!!!! We are on our way as we do almost every year with Shawn’s bike club in honor of all the fallen we ride down  highway 101 along the ocean  with flags for a tribute to all!!!! 
🌺Roy thank you for such a wonderful tribute you write!

🌺Love to my sisters!

🌺🌺To Himself!!! May you have a easy 

placement of your pacemaker and will be thinking of you  noon my time today with a prayer 🙏 

To my CC family, “may we feel the love of life and how precious it is!! I hope all have a great day!”

Denise😊

• Like 10

This day is always difficult for me...I work at the US Merchant Marine Academy, which overlooks the city. I was in the Administration Building in the Academic Dean's office when the first tower fell....we were all in shock and said it didn't feel real, more like a movie. I lost two very dear FDNY friends that day, and others that I knew.  Never forget.....

And now to a brighter note - here's a sunrise picture from JFK Airport as we were waiting to board our flight for our first Caribbean cruise on the Zuiderdam in 2004 - a beautiful morning at the start of a wonderful cruise!

Thanks Rich for the daily reports...thanks Roy for the care and celebration lists....Prayers for all who need them and cheers for all!!

Laura

P9110001.JPG

• Like 13

4 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you for the daily.  So true on the quote.  I like the steak salad idea but will do something else.  I'm going to start with a 9/11 version of my lists with the regular lists coming later:

9/11 In memoriam and heroes

In memory of:

Firefighter Keven O’Rourke, FDNY
PANYNJ Police Officer Bruce Reynolds–Officer Reynolds was on patrol on the George Washington Bridge and diverted to the World Trade Center where he perished in the Collapse of the South Tower

memorial.jpg

Captain John Ogonowski, AA 11, World Trade Center
Captain Victor Saracini, UA 175, W/orld Trade Center
Captain Jason Dahl, UA 93, Shanksville, PA
Captain Charles Burlingame, AA 77. Pentagon–”A pilot will fight to the ends of the earth to save his aircraft–He just will!”  Captain Beverly Bass
2990 others that day
At least 2000 since then from illness related to toxic substances encountered during rescue

My 9/11 Heroes(Manyy now retired)

Captain Beverly Bass(Ret)
Mayor Claude Elliott(Ret)
Constable Oz Fudge(Ret)
Gander Academy teacher Diane Davis and Gander Legion Staffer Beulah Cooper (together Beulah Davis)
Reporter Janice Goudie and Brian Moser (Together Janice Moser)
Nick and Diane
Kevin Tuereff
and SPCA Executive Bonnie Harris

We will and should never forget the horror of 9/11 but I firmly believe that if that is ALL we remember it's a victory for the terrorists.

Roy

A sad day in American History.

• Like 5

56 minutes ago, Love the beach said:

On another note, I have been wondering if anyone has heard from Scrapnana or Bill & Mary Ann? I don't know them personally, just loved following along on their blogs.

They’ve both posted recently on the 2022 world cruise roll call, so they should be back on their blogs by then, if not before.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

Thank you everyone for the beautiful and memorable tributes to 09/11.  Prayers for all on the care lists, and a special prayer for Himself for a successful procedure today.

This may be a little long, but I need to share today.  On 09/11, my husband and I set up a Red Cross shelter for those on planes that were "set down" in Denver.  The resiliency and courage of the American and Canadian travelers who were faced with figuring out a way home amazed both of us.  It was an awe inspiring week to witness such ingenuity, especially since no planes were flying.

Then we were deployed to NYC for 5 weeks, where we worked in a Red Cross Respite Center right at Ground Zero serving policemen, firemen, and construction workers working on "The Pile."  During that time I grew to love the people of New York and I will never forget the kindnesses we were shown.  It was such an honor to be able to serve our country in this way.  My husband died in 2017 of a 09/11 related disease.

Last year I took the Zuiderdam re-positioning cruise from Quebec to Fort Lauderdale.  I picked that cruise simply for the opportunity to spend the day in NYC.  I got to go to the 09/11 Memorial and Museum, which was a special highlight of the trip.  It brought me some closure that I will always treasure.

Sorry to make this so long, but I felt that sharing this was important since so many of you have expressed such beautiful sentiments.  Thank you!

• Like 22

37 minutes ago, Himself said:

Rich  Thanks for posting the DAILY. Thanks to all for their good wishes..  I will bepicked up in one Hour to go to the Hospital.  Hope to be back reacting to posts tomorrow.  

Hope all goes well, please let us know.

• Like 3

@cruzn single:  Thank you for sharing your beautiful story.  My condolences and hugs to you on the loss of your dear husband.  It is a day that will live in the hearts of millions around the world.

Smooth Sailing!

Gerry

5 minutes ago, cruzn single said:

This may be a little long, but I need to share today.  On 09/11, my husband and I set up a Red Cross shelter for those on planes that were "set down" in Denver.  The resiliency and courage of the American and Canadian travelers who were faced with figuring out a way home amazed both of us.  It was an awe inspiring week to witness such ingenuity, especially since no planes were flying.

Then we were deployed to NYC for 5 weeks, where we worked in a Red Cross Respite Center right at Ground Zero serving policemen, firemen, and construction workers working on "The Pile."  During that time I grew to love the people of New York and I will never forget the kindnesses we were shown.  It was such an honor to be able to serve our country in this way.  My husband died in 2017 of a 09/11 related disease.

Last year I took the Zuiderdam re-positioning cruise from Quebec to Fort Lauderdale.  I picked that cruise simply for the opportunity to spend the day in NYC.  I got to go to the 09/11 Memorial and Museum, which was a special highlight of the trip.  It brought me some closure that I will always treasure.

Sorry to make this so long, but I felt that sharing this was important since so many of you have expressed such beautiful sentiments.  Thank you!

• Like 5

2 hours ago, tamsno said:

We will never forget the lives lost and sacrifices made then and still today.

9/11 happened on day four, Belgium, of my first cruise and first trip anywhere solo.  Old Noordam 14 days Copenhagen to Rome.  Paris, Provence, Tuscany, everything I couldn't wait to see.  I will always be grateful to HAL, the captain and crew who worked hard to make us all feel safe and looked after.   We were able to make ship calls for free at any time, especially to our anxious families at home, and anyone who needed assistance to leave the ship right away was taken care of.    International CNN and constant ship updates became our lifelines.  We became a close knit ship community and were warmly welcomed in all the ports.  So the world changed and me along with it.   39 cruises and over 500 days at sea later, I still love cruising the world and I'm thankful every day for the opportunity.  

Prayers and Cheers! 

was  Captain Jack ,  Master  of the 'old'

Noordam on that cruise?

Edited by sail7seas
  • Like 2

Good morning/afternoon to all, on another "Day that will live in infamy", we will certainly be remembering all those lost and their loved ones.  

We are having another smoky day here.  I do feel sorry, too, for those suffering closer to the fires in Washington, Oregon and California.  I know my cousins in  California are living now with their "Grab and Go" bags ready.

Edited by Vict0riann
  • Like 6

Good afternoon. I'm certain that every person remembers where they were on that horrific day. I was teaching,had someone come in to tell me quietly. At recess I went to the library and watched during our 15 minute recess. I remember praying, and tears pouring down my cheeks watching people jumping to their deaths. Such a tragic loss.

As to the quote, I don't think that any person-wise or fool- could sell any painting I could do. LOL

Not sure what I will have make for supper-probably fish and fries.

Chilly day today. Please take care. Be well. Stay safe. Be kind. Wear your mask.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, dfish said:

This is the powerful Clydesdale commercial that only aired once in commemoration of those lost on 9/11.  Watching it again brought tears to my eyes.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LyP0JsyvYnA#action=share

I have this saved and when I'm feeling sad or frustrated I watch this and while the subject matter is tragic I feel calmed by the horses.  I hope that makes sense.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

ON that 09/11 morning I was on my way to work driving down the Cajon pass listening to KFRG when suddenly the radio went quiet for a couple of seconds then the d.j. came online and announced that New York City had been attacked. After a couple more seconds he announced that a plane had crashed into the Trade Center, no other details known. As soon as I got to my office I turned on my computer and saw the second plane hit the tower. Everyone watched in horror and there were no incoming telephone calls.

After about an hour I called my husband telling him we have to start driving to my parents this afternoon told him to watch the news for a few minutes then finish packing.

My parents 65th wedding anniversary was 09/14/01 and we were giving them a surprise party. It was quite errie driving cross country without seeing one commercial truck on the road or one train on the railroad tracks or one airplane in the sky.

We arrived on 09/13 and the party went without a hitch with over 75 people signing the guest register and wishing my parents a Happy Anniversary. At the end of the party after the final prayer the party planner/coordinator asked everyone to sign America the Beautiful. I don't know if she had planned this or not but I felt it was a beautiful ending to that very special and not to be postponed party.

• Like 10

1 hour ago, dfish said:

This is the powerful Clydesdale commercial that only aired once in commemoration of those lost on 9/11.  Watching it again brought tears to my eyes.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LyP0JsyvYnA#action=share

Thank you so much for sharing this. It brings tears to my eyes everytime I see it posted somewhere I watch it

• Like 3

1 hour ago, dfish said:

Thanks for sharing this. I've always loved the Clydesdales and looked for them every visit at Busch Gardens here in Tampa.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, ger_77 said:

Here are a couple of photos of the area we visited; it's a small, beautiful lake surrounded by trees and the park doesn't allow any motorized vehicles on it.  The only way you can go out on the lake is either by swimming, canoe, kayak, rowboat or paddleboard.  In the evening, we were serenaded by the call of the loons.   Idyllic!

image.jpeg.484c15d050ab867825f56f0c5e2e16d6.jpeg

image.jpeg.94444cd0ea9eed48cfffdc3355a158e5.jpeg

image.jpeg.2e8fa0073d228b3357a07d90874e261d.jpeg

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

Great photos Gerry and a lovely couple 🙂

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, dfish said:

I remember that so well and enjoyed seeing it again.  Thank you Deb ❤️ 

It is truly a moving “commercial”.  I never considered it a commercial because of the way it was done.

• Like 4

If you want to put a smile to your face on this sad Remembrance Day, there were some lives saved and lives changed forever.  Remember there were 7,000 people that were “rescued” and landed in a little town in Newfoundland.

Gander welcomed them, fed them and welcomed them.

Eventually they made a musical locally and never expected the success they got.  Here’s a little excerpt to make everyone smile on this somber day.

• Like 8

6 minutes ago, kazu said:

If you want to put a smile to your face on this sad Remembrance Day, there were some lives saved and lives changed forever.  Remember there were 7,000 people that were “rescued” and landed in a little town in Newfoundland.

Gander welcomed them, fed them and welcomed them.

Eventually they made a musical locally and never expected the success they got.  Here’s a little excerpt to make everyone smile on this somber day.

Thank you, Jacqui!

• Like 1