Silversea Private Arrangement Silver Shore Concierge

maximus217

The Private Shore Concierge will presumably always use Privato transport.  One won't be on a tour bus.  I have used these facilities multiple times, always with good results.  It has been especially helpful when I wanted a customized private tour that would visit some fairly off-the-beaten-track but to me very interesting spots.  In some instances, arrangements had to be made to ensure that the spot was open or to have it opened for my visit.   

In most cases, "mere" Privato (with a private car/driver/guide for a half or full day) is sufficient.  I research the ports and present the guide with a fairly detailed list of things I want to see.  I make clear that I do not want to spend time shopping, and this is always honored. 

You are most welcome.

Arrangements can be made with the Shore Concierge staff on the ship.  It is good to give plenty of advance notice (at least a few days) so that they can exchange email messages regarding desired arrangements with the tour operator with which Silversea works in that port.  One can of course make private arrangements with people/companies found on the internet, and they can be cheaper.  But I think there are weighty reasons for dealing with Silversea.  If there is an accident/flat tire/etc and your return to the ship is delayed, the ship will wait for you if your private tour was booked with Silversea.  The guides/drivers are likely to be among the best known to the tour operator (and they will give value for money since they want future referrals from the tour operator).  And in the single instance where I was disappointed with my experience, the Shore Concierge desk on the ship contacted the tour operator and gave me a substantial (full?) refund of the amount billed to my onboard account. 

Edited by Observer

11 minutes ago, maximus217 said:

For the Privato, are they also paid on board or prepaid?

I believe I have always done all bookings onboard (but then too I do very long, back-to-back cruises and am not desperately pressed for time.)

I have always charged Privato (private car/driver/guide) to my suite on board.  If you have OBCs (onboard credits) they can be used to defray the cost of the Privato tours. 

4 hours ago, Stumblefoot said:

From what I understand, the only things pre-paid  are mid-voyage overnight land tours.

Correct and the overlands are non refundable and usually have to be paid in full 120 days in advance.  Usually they are very limited in size, are very popular and often sell out.  We did 2 safaris in Africa and a visit to Chengdu to see the Pandas on 2019 WC.  All 3 were excellent.

When I was producing the entertainment for Silversea, I booked private tours quite a few times, onboard, through the concierge. For me, I never knew if I would have any free time in port, but when I did, I found this service to be optimum.  I found it was well worth the expense especially if you have great interest in one particular area.  The private tour I booked in Florence was phenomenal.  Our tour guide was a Michelangelo historian.  She admonished tourists taking photos of David, which was quite fun, while giving us inside information on so much of his work we were looking at.  She also provided some rather grisly details of the flood of 1557.  The private tours I did with Silversea are probably some of my best memories during the 3 years I produced the entertainment.  I recommend them highly!