Top of your bucket list

laurieb

18 hours ago, excitedofharpenden said:

I loved it too, but the weather spoiled it a bit for me. Not helped by having to miss a port. I know you can't predict, but the time of year for doing it to get the ship to Australia is the wet season in French Polynesia. We didn't luck out in Hawaii either. I've done it, but wouldn't do it again. There are many itineraries that I would most definitely repeat though. 

Phil 

I agree, the weather leaving Los Angeles was chilly; I don’t think you can expect better in January.  I don’t recall missing a port; was that the followincruise?

Edited by laurieb

10 hours ago, laurieb said:

I agree, the weather leaving Los Angeles was chilly; I don’t think you can expect better in January.  I don’t recall missing a port; was that the followincruise?

Sorry Laurie, yes. It was the follow on. We missed Rarotonga. Tender port. Terrible weather, but in fact they did have to land someone there because of (another) medical emergency. They took the opportunity to drop off and pick up entertainers too. I did see a video of it. Not for the faint hearted!

I have never spent that number of days and seen so many medical emergencies. Starting of course with Eric's dad. 

Phil 

Edited by excitedofharpenden

21 hours ago, Mackdogmolly said:

I think that the Azamara sailings to Japan are at Cherry blossom time!

They also do August/September. We did Japan intensive in August last year. Not the best time to go though. Very hot and humid, but we still enjoyed it. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, excitedofharpenden said:

Sorry Laurie, yes. It was the follow on. We missed Rarotonga. Tender port. Terrible weather, but in fact they did have to land someone there because of (another) medical emergency. They took the opportunity to drop off and pick up entertainers too. I did see a video of it. Not for the faint hearted!

I have never spent that number of days and seen so many medical emergencies. Starting of course with Eric's dad. 

Phil 

We sailed the French Polynesian Islands three times with Princess years ago; we made it to Rarotonga just once!  Very difficult to get in there.  We did fly into Rarotonga once for a few days; I would love to go back!  Very nice

• Like 1

On 9/13/2020 at 3:56 AM, Covepointcruiser said:

South Pacific crossing for me as I certainly did not enjoy the North Pacific crossing from Japan to Vancouver.   It’s a very cold trip and we had a lot of rain and little sunshine.   South Pacific would be great as you have French Polynesia and Hawaii as ports in the middle of the journey.

I really enjoyed the Japan to Seward itinerary though, it was a shame we didn't make Kodiak but it certainly gave us the option to go onto Denali, something we didn't do in 2012 when we did the Alaskan inside passage and was on my bucket list. At the moment, I'd be just happy to be able to take an international flight, repeated itineraries don't greatly concern me as we always find something different to do when we visit subsequent times.  We're desperate for our Grand Voyage circumnavigation of South America on the Quest to become a reality in January 2022. I'm not getting my hopes up for much before then.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, laurieb said:

I think I saw that on a 2022 itinerary

Yes, it’s 29 October 2022 on Quest, Athens to Dubai with stops in Alexandria, Port Said, Safaga (overnight - good for Luxor & the Valley of the Kings), Eilat, Aqaba (long day in Aqaba so plenty of time to get to Petra & back) & Muscat.

On 9/12/2020 at 3:59 AM, laurieb said:

What port(s) have you not visited that are must do’s for you?  Western Australia and South Africa for me; I know, more than single ports...

Would highly recommend doing Western Australia as a land holiday not a cruise. We did a 3 week road trip there last November/ December and it was amazing. You would miss so many great things if you did it by cruise due to time in port.   

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Edinburghgirl1 said:

Would highly recommend doing Western Australia as a land holiday not a cruise. We did a 3 week road trip there last November/ December and it was amazing. You would miss so many great things if you did it by cruise due to time in port.   

That applies to many parts of the world but particularly Australia, cruises can only ever touch around the fringes.

Edited by Bloodaxe
  • Like 3

On 9/16/2020 at 9:34 AM, laurieb said:

I think I saw that on a 2022 itinerary

Thank you, I saw it too.  It's the exact itinerary they had on Pursuit for May 2021 and we were all set to book it (Singapore to Athens) when they pulled the itinerary and changed it all to Greek ports.  May 2022 does not work for us.

13 hours ago, TeaBag said:

Thank you, I saw it too.  It's the exact itinerary they had on Pursuit for May 2021 and we were all set to book it (Singapore to Athens) when they pulled the itinerary and changed it all to Greek ports.  May 2022 does not work for us.

It's too bad the date won't work for you 😞