When Will We Feel Safe to Cruise Again

mcrcruiser

in my opinion, when there is a vaccine and the restrictions are loosened. I can’t see spending a substantial amount of money to fly and cruise with the virus still prevalent. Then wear a mask an engage in all the rules etc. That is not a vacation from what i have to deal with in Hawaii. And if i go to New York the same thing except rude New Yorkers lol. I have been blessed to have traveled the world and have been on over 50 cruises so perhaps my patience is different than many on these boards. I do believe however that the more we rush to open the longer this virus will be out there and as such extend the time for this to improve. It seems that we as a society believe that opening schools and restaurants and bars after labor day was the right thing to do but the virus cannot read a calendar. Of course i understand the societal and economic issues so i have no solutions except a drastic one...shut it all down till a vaccine is effective. The government can afford to pay everyone’s mortgage, rent and take care of the mom and pop business owners till the effective vaccine is available. Please don’t flame me lol. i wish you all good health and smooth sailing home and on ships!

2 hours ago, LouChamp said:

in my opinion, when there is a vaccine and the restrictions are loosened. I can’t see spending a substantial amount of money to fly and cruise with the virus still prevalent. Then wear a mask an engage in all the rules etc. That is not a vacation from what i have to deal with in Hawaii. And if i go to New York the same thing except rude New Yorkers lol. I have been blessed to have traveled the world and have been on over 50 cruises so perhaps my patience is different than many on these boards. I do believe however that the more we rush to open the longer this virus will be out there and as such extend the time for this to improve. It seems that we as a society believe that opening schools and restaurants and bars after labor day was the right thing to do but the virus cannot read a calendar. Of course i understand the societal and economic issues so i have no solutions except a drastic one...shut it all down till a vaccine is effective. The government can afford to pay everyone’s mortgage, rent and take care of the mom and pop business owners till the effective vaccine is available. Please don’t flame me lol. i wish you all good health and smooth sailing home and on ships!

Yes a effective vaccine &  most people getting their inoculations will go a long way to stop  the covid 19  virus spread  not only in the USA but the world  .  Traveling by any public transportation method is more than a challenge &  ,there is life safety added to those challenges . We can not see flying or cruising  or buses & trains being able to have profitable business until the vaccines trample covid 19 

• Like 1

The ways that the government can get people to get vaccinated are many .  All they do is pass laws such as can not  fly unless vaccinated ,Cannot cruise unless vaccinated . It is a simple process & does not take away peoples rights; because it is termed a highly contagious disease ,ala small pox  & they write the laws in such a way that it will  agree with the constitution 

Please do not argue with me I am only the messenger 😇

• Like 3

15 hours ago, mcrcruiser said:

Don't forget  try to get Covid 19  trip insurance  from either insuremytrip.com or  squaremouyh.com ,if boarding any ship prior to a all clear  .

That brings up the concern, can you even get coverage for Covod-19 from the travel insurance industry at this time or in the future. It might just become a non-coverable event like, war, terrorism and all the other exclusions contained in the policies. 

1 hour ago, drowelf said:

That brings up the concern, can you even get coverage for Covod-19 from the travel insurance industry at this time or in the future. It might just become a non-coverable event like, war, terrorism and all the other exclusions contained in the policies. 

I won’t go into great detail but my travel insurer will provide for travel medical insurance (like any other injury or illness that would normally be covered) but does not cover trip interruption or cancellation (for travel booked while a government advisory against travel due to CV-19 was in place).

• Like 1

On 9/29/2020 at 6:27 AM, PrincessLuver said:

Evidently there is plenty of evidence to support the fact  that the Covid-19 virus does not social distance, it floats in the air, so no masks outdoors on a cruise ship I would think leaves an easy way for spread to possibly happen.  It will be very hard for people to social distance outside on a cruise ship with what we have experienced on most ships.

The safest area on the ship is outside.  You usually have a breeze to sweep away any virus.  You have the sunlight to kill the virus (UV kills the virus).  Above all, you need a certain amount of the virus in order for you to get sick.  Just because a molecule or more of the virus gets into you doesn't mean you will get infected.  To get infected outdoors on a ship, someone has to literally cough or sneeze in front of you or talk to you.  Now if someone coughs or sneeze onto a railing and you touch that railing, that's a different story.  But then, people who coughs or sneezes will definitely be the most unpopular people on the ship and will be reported by fellow passengers.   

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, deadzone1003 said:

The safest area on the ship is outside.  You usually have a breeze to sweep away any virus.  You have the sunlight to kill the virus (UV kills the virus).  Above all, you need a certain amount of the virus in order for you to get sick.  Just because a molecule or more of the virus gets into you doesn't mean you will get infected.  To get infected outdoors on a ship, someone has to literally cough or sneeze in front of you or talk to you.  Now if someone coughs or sneeze onto a railing and you touch that railing, that's a different story.  But then, people who coughs or sneezes will definitely be the most unpopular people on the ship and will be reported by fellow passengers.   

Thanks for this deadzone1003.

I just read an article today about light being the new treatment hope for the virus. 

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/coronavirus/scientists-studying-whether-light-can-be-harnessed-to-kill-the-coronavirus-1.5141292

https://toronto.ctvnews.ca/ontario-company-claims-their-ultraviolet-light-system-can-kill-covid-19-1.5006546

Well, I will be sitting out side on my balcony ALOT from now on with a chardonnay in my hand!  Did so tonight.

Thanks for your great, common sense post!

5 minutes ago, Doubt It said:

Thanks for this deadzone1003.

I just read an article today about light being the new treatment hope for the virus. 

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/coronavirus/scientists-studying-whether-light-can-be-harnessed-to-kill-the-coronavirus-1.5141292

https://toronto.ctvnews.ca/ontario-company-claims-their-ultraviolet-light-system-can-kill-covid-19-1.5006546

Well, I will be sitting out side on my balcony ALOT from now on with a chardonnay in my hand!  Did so tonight.

Thanks for your great, common sense post!

And here is the last sentence from the first CTV article you identified:

A note of caution: no form of light therapy has been proven to work against COVID-19. Some forms of UV light can be harmful and can trigger sunburns and can eventually cause melanoma. 

You can even help yourself by keeping your Vitamin D levels at a higher rate.  Vitamin D levels affects your immune system.  I am not aware of any drug that can kill the virus.  There are a few that can stop the replication of the virus in your body, but it is your immune system that has to kill the virus.  It seems sunlight is still the best source of Vitamin D.  Washing your hands regularly on a cruise ship will be more important than even wearing a mask.

5 hours ago, deadzone1003 said:

The safest area on the ship is outside.  You usually have a breeze to sweep away any virus.  You have the sunlight to kill the virus (UV kills the virus).  Above all, you need a certain amount of the virus in order for you to get sick.  

wow you make a lot of claims of which none are based on any science or fact.

But I have no doubt that you believe it to be true 

Edited by Luckiestmanonearth

On 10/7/2020 at 3:03 PM, cruzsnooze said:

The vaccine will not end the pandemic because many people like myself do not feel it is safe. It was pushed through without fully testing and documenting the efficacy and safety.

You are writing like it is a done deal and already out there.  On what basis do you claim that if a vaccine is approved that it will be without full testing and documentation?

On 10/7/2020 at 3:57 PM, d9704011 said:

Can’t, not a US citizen. Anyway, I have all that socialized medicine here in Canada and I don’t want to give that up!

Remdesivir is administered intravenously and has to be done in a hospital setting per the US guideline.  It is also most effective early in the progression of COVID-19.  While both US and Canada have special provision to allow this, the Health Canada language is much more restrictive in the sense that taking the literal reading, the patient needs to be in more dire straits before MD ordering it.  Kind of negates the point.  Also, our socialized medicine now has wait times for a COVID-19 test to be counted in weeks and results come back after several days.  What is the point of even getting a test if you suspect something but cannot get an appointment for more than two weeks in the future?  It means more people likely to show up at emergency rooms and over-tax that department.  But, I guess you don't mind waiting long times for various services since it is "free".  Well, we get what we pay for and while the standard of care is excellent, the service level is poor.

12 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

Remdesivir is administered intravenously and has to be done in a hospital setting per the US guideline.  It is also most effective early in the progression of COVID-19.  While both US and Canada have special provision to allow this, the Health Canada language is much more restrictive in the sense that taking the literal reading, the patient needs to be in more dire straits before MD ordering it.  Kind of negates the point.  Also, our socialized medicine now has wait times for a COVID-19 test to be counted in weeks and results come back after several days.  What is the point of even getting a test if you suspect something but cannot get an appointment for more than two weeks in the future?  It means more people likely to show up at emergency rooms and over-tax that department.  But, I guess you don't mind waiting long times for various services since it is "free".  Well, we get what we pay for and while the standard of care is excellent, the service level is poor.

Huh?

23 minutes ago, Luckiestmanonearth said:

wow you make a lot of claims of which none are based on any science or fact.

But I have no doubt that you believe it to be true 

Are you saying that UV light doesn't kill the virus?  Google it.  Throw a cup of water against the wind and see how droplets behave.  What happens to steam (aerosols) when  it rises up?  It goes in the direction of the wind.  Of course, when you are on a cruise ship going 15 knots, no breeze ever touches you on the LIdo deck.

3 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

OK.  Why did you quote something I wrote from four days ago then provide me with a totally unrelated spiel on Remdesivir and, I guess, our health care system?

31 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

You are writing like it is a done deal and already out there.  On what basis do you claim that if a vaccine is approved that it will be without full testing and documentation?

Then why do most vaccines takes 5 years or more?  Phase 3 testing last 3-4 months with these expected vaccines if nothing goes wrong.  The vaccine gets approved because of no short term side effects.  Have we really tested the vaccine for long term side effects?   This is my greatest worry.  

3 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

OK.  Why did you quote something I wrote from four days ago then provide me with a totally unrelated spiel on Remdesivir and, I guess, our health care system?

Yes, it was several days back - I was catching up on the thread. 

You had responded to @mcrcruiser's post about the treatments that POTUS received and mentioned what the average citizen needed to get the same treatment.  @sfaaa suggested you could get the same perks if you became POTUS.  You replied that as a non-citizen, it was not possible.  And you stated you have all that socialized medicine in Canada and don't want to give it up.

I posted about Remdesivir, one of the key treatments given to the President.  I had looked into it last week to see what the authorization was in the USA and whether it had any authorization for use in Canada.  I also wanted to make a point that not everything about socialized medicine is wonderful.  I felt the post was related since it concerned COVID-19 treatment in USA and Canada.  Sorry if you didn't like it.

4 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

Yes, it was several days back - I was catching up on the thread. 

You had responded to @mcrcruiser's post about the treatments that POTUS received and mentioned what the average citizen needed to get the same treatment.  @sfaaa suggested you could get the same perks if you became POTUS.  You replied that as a non-citizen, it was not possible.  And you stated you have all that socialized medicine in Canada and don't want to give it up.

I posted about Remdesivir, one of the key treatments given to the President.  I had looked into it last week to see what the authorization was in the USA and whether it had any authorization for use in Canada.  I also wanted to make a point that not everything about socialized medicine is wonderful.  I felt the post was related since it concerned COVID-19 treatment in USA and Canada.  Sorry if you didn't like it.

Ah, I see.  Luckily, I haven’t had any need to avail myself of the health care system for anything related to CV-19.  The situation in Ottawa has deteriorated significantly over the last couple of weeks and I wouldn’t care to discover how things might go for me if I required substantial medical intervention.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, deadzone1003 said:

Then why do most vaccines takes 5 years or more?  Phase 3 testing last 3-4 months with these expected vaccines if nothing goes wrong.  The vaccine gets approved because of no short term side effects.  Have we really tested the vaccine for long term side effects?   This is my greatest worry.  

Without going into a lengthy search, I recall hearing and reading, IIRC, that because a COVID-19 vaccine is based on prior similar vaccines and methods already in use.

Also, science is continually helping the world make progress and improve all sorts of activities and processes and it wouldn't surprise me that the medical processes for developing and proving a vaccine can also move faster than years ago.  It is the development stage that has seemed to move very quickly.  I am not so sure they are short-circuiting the Stage 3 trials.

Try this: 

https://www.statnews.com/2020/07/30/a-huge-experiment-how-the-world-made-so-much-progress-on-a-covid-19-vaccine-so-fast/

"The colossal impact of the coronavirus is motivating the speed, opening a spigot of funding and inspiring research teams around the world to join the hunt. But the astonishing pace of the progress is also a consequence of the virus itself: It is, scientifically speaking, an easier target for potential vaccines than other pathogens, and a prime candidate for cutting-edge vaccine platforms new to scientists’ toolkits."

and

"Many of the teams pursuing vaccines for SARS-CoV-2 (the scientific name of the new coronavirus) have previously worked on vaccines for the original SARS virus, which caused a 2003 outbreak that killed some 800 people, and MERS, which has caused 2,500 cases since it started spreading in 2012."

In short, the article gives a good explanation of how and why things were able to move so quickly out of the gate.

From Mass General Hospital system:

"

Q. How have clinical trials for COVID-19 been moving so quickly?

A: In the interest of time for COVID-19, instead of searching for a new treatment, scientists have opted to test treatments that have already been approved for other diseases or have been tested in humans. By starting with a treatment that has been tested extensively in humans, researchers can take advantage of the years of research, preclinical trials and early phase safety trials that have already been conducted on these drugs to move quickly into human patients."

I found more, but leaving it at this.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Steelers36 said:

Without going into a lengthy search, I recall hearing and reading, IIRC, that because a COVID-19 vaccine is based on prior similar vaccines and methods already in use.

Also, science is continually helping the world make progress and improve all sorts of activities and processes and it wouldn't surprise me that the medical processes for developing and proving a vaccine can also move faster than years ago.  It is the development stage that has seemed to move very quickly.  I am not so sure they are short-circuiting the Stage 3 trials.

Try this: 

https://www.statnews.com/2020/07/30/a-huge-experiment-how-the-world-made-so-much-progress-on-a-covid-19-vaccine-so-fast/

"The colossal impact of the coronavirus is motivating the speed, opening a spigot of funding and inspiring research teams around the world to join the hunt. But the astonishing pace of the progress is also a consequence of the virus itself: It is, scientifically speaking, an easier target for potential vaccines than other pathogens, and a prime candidate for cutting-edge vaccine platforms new to scientists’ toolkits."

and

"Many of the teams pursuing vaccines for SARS-CoV-2 (the scientific name of the new coronavirus) have previously worked on vaccines for the original SARS virus, which caused a 2003 outbreak that killed some 800 people, and MERS, which has caused 2,500 cases since it started spreading in 2012."

In short, the article gives a good explanation of how and why things were able to move so quickly out of the gate.

"

A: In the interest of time for COVID-19, instead of searching for a new treatment, scientists have opted to test treatments that have already been approved for other diseases or have been tested in humans. By starting with a treatment that has been tested extensively in humans, researchers can take advantage of the years of research, preclinical trials and early phase safety trials that have already been conducted on these drugs to move quickly into human patients."

I found more, but leaving it at this.

Agree & the facts are if   your doctor says the vaccine is safe for you ,take  it .  We all must pitch in to  kill this horrific virus . The consequences   of this virus continuing to devastate our & other countries economies is unthinkable as to the Depression it would set off ,that would last for many years  ,resulting in a high concentration of personal agony 

• Thanks 1

Steelers36 and mcrcruiser,

Please do not consider Moderna or Pfizier as they are using rna based vaccine which has never been tried before.  Furthermore, there is no vaccine for any coronavirus.  Lastly, a vaccine is no guarantee that you will not get it.  You may not get as sick because you get the vaccine.  It may take a vaccine like Moderna or Pfizier to prevent you from getting the virus, but they may be the riskiest vaccine because of their unproven method.

1 hour ago, deadzone1003 said:

Steelers36 and mcrcruiser,

Please do not consider Moderna or Pfizier as they are using rna based vaccine which has never been tried before.  Furthermore, there is no vaccine for any coronavirus.  Lastly, a vaccine is no guarantee that you will not get it.  You may not get as sick because you get the vaccine.  It may take a vaccine like Moderna or Pfizier to prevent you from getting the virus, but they may be the riskiest vaccine because of their unproven method.

There is a one shot vaccine from Johnson  n Johnson that is in stage 3 trials with 60000 + tested   .Yjrm there are some others who are in their trials as well . We are confident that one or more of these vaccines will be safe for wide distribution

4 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

Try this: 

and

"

Yes, that says the treatments are safe, but they yet to be proved to be effective against Covid-19.

Proper and well designed trials are needed to do that including different dosage levels and as stand alone treatments or in combination with other treatments.