When Will We Feel Safe to Cruise Again

mcrcruiser

23 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

Think back to being on a ship underway.  The Promenade deck area is very windy.  Anything breathed out is gone in a flash.  Casual, momentary passing another person outdoors is basically zero risk - unless part of a big crowd I suppose.  Now, the under-cover sections of Lido deck may more approach an inside area, but then many indoor areas can be breezy too with doors opening and AC running.  

Since people cannot react fast enough or think location details, probably best to have a rule to wear unless seated on open deck.  Seating is going to be spaced out and not chock-a-block I expect.  Devil is in the details and we don't know these as yet. 

Anyway, most of the outdoor areas of a moving ship are breezy enough that nothing of consequence is going to be hanging around long I imagine.

Funny thing how when we have had cabins near smoking areas on Princess ships open decks the smoke somehow makes it to our cabin balcony and does not go in a flash out to sea even on breezy days?

Edited by PrincessLuver
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, PrincessLuver said:

Funny thing how when we have had cabins near smoking areas on Princess ships open decks the smoke somehow makes it to our cabin balcony and does not go in a flash out to sea even on breezy days?

OMG!!! Somebody tested positive for covid!!!!

Could it have been second hand smoke?

2 hours ago, HappyInVan said:

OMG!!! Somebody tested positive for covid!!!!

Could it have been second hand smoke?

Look at the bright side. If someone is able to puff up without coughing his lung out, he is clearly COVID-19 free.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Could be big problems for the cruise industry going forward  . Pres Trump & the first lady tested positive for Covid 19 Oct 1st  . Also ,cases of covid 19 are again on the rise in Europe & portions of the US  .What will this fall  bring in covid 19 cases rising no one is certain as yet  . Thus , what seems to be necessary is a well tested & FDA approves vaccine to stop covid 19 here in the USA .It will take less time in the US to get the vaccine out & around for injections than most of the rest of the world  .Perhaps most of Europe will also get the vaccine out fairly quickly ;but ,it will be far more difficult into 3rd world nations  .

I hate to say it but this is never going away. We will all have to deal with it if we want to cruise. Each time we board a ship we will be taking our chances just like always. It is up to the individual whether or not they want to take their chances. At this point in time I choose not to cruise and sadly don't know if I ever will again. 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, PrincessLuver said:

I don’t think smoke and droplets are the same thing. We smell the CA forest fire smoke east of the Mississippi. So much for the 6 foot rule?!?

1 hour ago, 2wheelin said:

I don’t think smoke and droplets are the same thing. We smell the CA forest fire smoke east of the Mississippi. So much for the 6 foot rule?!?

Covid - 19 is also more then just droplets.....it is also contained in aerosols....."blowing in the wind"....cruising is a long ways off and most people are not going to get on a ship no matter show safe they say it is without a vaccine.....airlines are having a hard enough time and and most flights are much shorter duration of time then being around potential virus carries for a week.....

CDC wanted to extend the no sail until Feb 2021 but git over ruled by the current Administration & will have sailings after October 21st . Then  month to month evaluation  . this seems logical & will give the cruise lines some needed revenues 

11 hours ago, sfaaa said:

I am no medical expert but I read that some people contracted COVID-19 with only mild to no symptom. The average recovery rate  is also quite high like close to 80%. This is a very strange virus.

Recovery means the Covid-19 is gone.

But for some, months or even years are needed to also recover from the effects of the virus which can include severe fatigue, damage to the heart and other serious problems.

On 10/2/2020 at 3:46 AM, sfaaa said:

Look at the bright side. If someone is able to puff up without coughing his lung out, he is clearly COVID-19 free.

I don't know.  Some people will do anything to smoke.

Every once in a while, there is a story about someone who incinerates themselves by smoking while using oxygen.

I guess that's one way to quit...

• Like 1

9 hours ago, mcrcruiser said:

CDC wanted to extend the no sail until Feb 2021 but git over ruled by the current Administration & will have sailings after October 21st . Then  month to month evaluation  . this seems logical & will give the cruise lines some needed revenues 

Correction the October date is the 31st not the 21 st 

8 hours ago, caribill said:

But for some, months or even years are needed to also recover from the effects of the virus which can include severe fatigue, damage to the heart and other serious problems.

True  but the best way to get rid of this horrid virus  are effective vaccines  with sufficient numbers of people taking  the injections  for herd immunity  . Until that happens  we all are still at risk of infection & what comes with that infection .Thus ,cruising imo will remain a incubator  for the covid 19  until the herd immunity tajes effect

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mcrcruiser said:

True  but the best way to get rid of this horrid virus  are effective vaccines  with sufficient numbers of people taking  the injections  for herd immunity  . Until that happens  we all are still at risk of infection & what comes with that infection .

100% agree

3 hours ago, mcrcruiser said:

True  but the best way to get rid of this horrid virus  are effective vaccines  with sufficient numbers of people taking  the injections  for herd immunity  . Until that happens  we all are still at risk of infection & what comes with that infection .Thus ,cruising imo will remain a incubator  for the covid 19  until the herd immunity tajes effect

Totally agree and they also need to come up with some successful medical treatment plan for those who do become infected along with a vaccine before it will feel safe for us to go back in the water....

• Like 1

Despite all the comments from industry experts, politicians, etc. I have yet to see or read one bit of hard evidence or data as to when it will be safe to cruise again.  Nadda.

So far it has been nothing but speculation and wishful thinking designed to keep up the interest in cruising.

Edited by iancal
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

I'm more worried about what happens if even one person on the ship turns out [positive.  Does the whole ship get quarantined?

We will get the vaccines at the earliest possible time once they are ready.  It's not that different to the yellow fever shot in the yellow book we always had so we could travel to Africa and South America.  And I am hoping adding a Covid vaccine means that we are responsible for our own health irregardless of what happens to others on the cruise. 

14 day hotel quarantine needs to be off the table in Australia.  I don't mind if we have to quarantine at home but not the rip-off prices they charge for the current system in hotels.

We are not that social, I wouldn't even care if meals could be served in the cabins although we would like some kind of choice of buffet foods even if they physically serve it. 

I would not want to be relegated to controlled tours, we like to wander around on our own, only taking tours if the place is remote or not accessed by public transport. 

I don't normally wear a mask but would if that was the requirement to cruise. 

And cruise fares need to be refundable or transferable if you get sick on the day of the cruise. 

Actually I am keen to get on a cruise to PNG as soon as possible!

imo  early on  the ships tours can not be  rejected  for the safety of those who may not  have taken the vaccine . However ,it may become  required that any person boarding a cruise ship must have been  vaccinated  .Still there are the foreign ports & what will their governments require of  the cruise pax coming to their shores  .Just so many unanswered questions 

From a recent CNBC article I read on another topic here on the Princess board is that thr vaccine that requires 2 shots has  some pretty hard side effects for a day or 2 after the 2nd shot is administered  .The side effects are high fevers 101 to 104 , violent  shaking   even that one person broke a tooth ,  severe headaches ,. Just seems to me that  us seniors with underlying medical conditions need to be very cautious before taking this vaccine & make sure  your doctor approves of it before taking it .  The tests given were the 2 dose type .Johnson and Johnson is in test 3 trials for a one dose injection of vaccine  & they are testing 60000  + people

just be cautious .

This then leaves me to believe unless the vaccination injection does not have violent after effects ,seniors are far less likely to cruise 

Edited by mcrcruiser
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, mcrcruiser said:

From a recent CNBC article I read on another topic here on the Princess board is that thr vaccine that requires 2 shots has  some pretty hard side effects for a day or 2 after the 2nd shot is administered  .The side effects are high fevers 101 to 104 , violent  shaking   even that one person broke a tooth ,  severe headaches ,. Just seems to me that  us seniors with underlying medical conditions need to be very cautious before taking this vaccine & make sure  your doctor approves of it before taking it .  The tests given were the 2 dose type .Johnson and Johnson is in test 3 trials for a one dose injection of vaccine  & they are testing 60000  + people

just be cautious .

This then leaves me to believe unless the vaccination injection does not have violent after effects ,seniors are far less likely to cruise 

No thanks. 

On 10/3/2020 at 1:54 AM, caribill said:

That would be Nirvana, but not every plague that has wound around the planet has been completely eradicated.  We still deal with annual flu seasons and that is also a respiratory affliction.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Steelers36 said:

That would be Nirvana, but not every plague that has wound around the planet has been completely eradicated.  We still deal with annual flu seasons and that is also a respiratory affliction.

True .They need to get this virus under control & how that is done is with a vaccine that does not have outrageous side effects  for any one getting the vaccination  . We will see what Johnson & Jognson  brings to the table with their one shot vaccine  from their 50000 + third stage trials  . If the FDA approves of the drugs that have been given to Trump recently that would also be a huge step forward  in  the recovery process for people who do  come down with this covid 19 virus 

There is a finite number of doctors, nurses, ventilators, ICU beds, and even doses of Remdesivir that are available.  The system only works if we don't overload it.  That was true at the beginning of the pandemic, and it is still true.

Edited by Abercrombie2019
clarification
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Abercrombie2019 said:

There is a finite number of doctors, nurses, ventilators, ICU beds, and even doses of Remdesivir that are available.  The system only works if we don't overload it.  That was true at the beginning of the pandemic, and it is still true.

Yes however ,that varies state by state & probably community y by community  with in those states  .  Here is California with the largest number of  non legal  people ,that impacts our emergency rooms as well . Thus  ,there can be no blanket statement made that all is well  with adequate services & medicines to treat this virus 

• Like 1