Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
Wannacruise81

Enforcement of the new guest vacation policy

Recommended Posts

As we wait to hear from the healthy cruising panel created by RCL and NCL, we can speculate that some of the protocols will mirror the same or similar policies developed by the European cruise companies that have started operations like MSC. 

So far it looks like MSC has successfully completed 4 cruises without any cases, but will the US market be the same way?

Wearing masks and social distancing will likely be part of the agreement in the guest vacation policy, but how much will be enforced when on the ship? Yes I like to think everyone could be adults about this and follow rules, but instances in the US have proved otherwise with some groups testing the boundaries and refusing to wear masks in public places or social distance. 

How do you think the cruise companies will deal with violators of the guest vacation policy? Will security now be policing around and telling people to wear their mask or will they just go with it with a blind eye? 

If the cruise lines want to have a successful come back, the passengers also need to do their part when onboard. If not, i don't think the cruise lines have a chance of surviving if another mass outbreak occurs. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Its like this - when cruising starts up again there will be a set of protocols (rules) which will be made clear to everyone regarding life on board,  excursions etc. If potential passengers don't like it they shouldn't go. If they do go and break those rules , they should be booted off , for the safety of everyone else on board.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Wannacruise81 said:

How do you think the cruise companies will deal with violators of the guest vacation policy?

Hopefully very harshly. MSC has been successful so far because they’ve had a zero tolerance policy with serious repercussions. 
 

I want to think that people who do choose to cruise will abide by the rules. Even though we are not cruising here in the USA, we are flying, and from what I’ve experienced flying every single week since the pandemic started is that almost everybody is abiding by the new rules. Crew members and ground personnel have been trained to enforce the rules strictly. Passengers who don’t comply are not allowed to board, and those who insist on non compliance are banned for life and placed on a “no fly” list. 
 

Strictly enforcing rules is what has made flying safe (with zero mass infections on any flight since the new rules were created) and also what has made cruising in Europe safe as well (at least so far). I believe that cruise lines will be just as strict in the USA because their long term existence depends on it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It will only take one idiot family to be made an example of, as did MSC, for people here to get the message. If you dodn't comply, you will be off and make your own way home. Good luck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

However where will the idiot family be let off, if ports aren’t accepting ships?  Are they just sequestered in their cabin one board, until they return to the mainland?  

 

All unknown, but I have a suspicion ships will have more security on board when they start up. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

However where will the idiot family be let off, if ports aren’t accepting ships?  Are they just sequestered in their cabin one board, until they return to the mainland?  

 

All unknown, but I have a suspicion ships will have more security on board when they start up. 

Well, they can't sail from the US unless they have a port to call at.  The issue on MSC was a family that didn't comply with the shore excursion rules so they were able to just leave them in that port.  I could see sailings from the US being the same.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's very easy, follow the rules. Wear the mask or don't go. Your on private property, at sea. Don't like it don't go, protest at home. So sick of these people making a political statement about a mask. But you know there will be some with there fake medical exemption  card, trying to pull that B.S. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Wannacruise81 said:

How do you think the cruise companies will deal with violators of the guest vacation policy?

 

I've heard the the Healthy Sail Policy will recommend that anyone who violates the new policies will walk the plank. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, hallux said:

Well, they can't sail from the US unless they have a port to call at.  The issue on MSC was a family that didn't comply with the shore excursion rules so they were able to just leave them in that port.  I could see sailings from the US being the same.


And that is why I raised the point. They need a foreign port of call, unlike in Italy. I think the cruise lines would be willing to cruise to no where right now, and there are folks here that would pay for that. 
 

Currently Caribbean islands are having Covid tests for those flying in, taken within a set number of days before arriving and then uploaded onto the government’s web portal.  We currently have no idea what the Islands will demand when ships set sail. Parts of Mexico have said they are ready in a news article, but that was dependent on ships getting approval to sail. 
 

As I said there is a lot of unknown. 

Edited by A&L_Ont

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, ipeeinthepool said:

 

I've heard the the Healthy Sail Policy will recommend that anyone who violates the new policies will walk the plank. 

image.jpeg.8e6b6eabe5cc99b5ee4734905c33a9f6.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

Mexico has said they are ready in a news article, but that was dependent on ships getting approval to sail. 
 

 

What could be better than a destination cruise to Senor Frogs in Cozumel?

 

 

Senor Frogs at Cruise Terminal - Picture of Half Senor Frogs, Cozumel -  Tripadvisor

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, ipeeinthepool said:

 

What could be better than a destination cruise to Senor Frogs in Cozumel?


I approve this post, in the campaign for cruises to return. 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, jptoz said:

But you know there will be some with their fake medical exemption card, trying to pull that B.S. 

Airlines have been handling that by requesting that all passengers who claim to have a medical condition (that prevents them from wearing a mask) to show at the airport with an extra hour than normal. This way, they can take part in a medical consultation with a doctor who will determine if the condition is legitimate, and also to verify if any documentation is in order (meaning no fake cards). 
 

Hopefully cruise lines will do the same. 

Edited by Tapi

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Tapi said:

Airlines have been handling that by requesting that all passengers who claim to have a medical condition (that prevents them from wearing a mask) to show at the airport with an extra hour than normal so that they can take part in a medical consultation with a doctor who will determine if the condition is legitimate, and also to verify if any documentation. is in order (meaning no fake cards). 
 

Hopefully cruise lines will do the same. 

 

Perhaps they can use the same approach with emotional support animals.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Like the current cruises that have been successful, they had no issue dumping people at a port. Follow the rules or get dumped at a foreign port.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Wannacruise81 said:

As we wait to hear from the healthy cruising panel created by RCL and NCL, we can speculate that some of the protocols will mirror the same or similar policies developed by the European cruise companies that have started operations like MSC. 

So far it looks like MSC has successfully completed 4 cruises without any cases, but will the US market be the same way?

Wearing masks and social distancing will likely be part of the agreement in the guest vacation policy, but how much will be enforced when on the ship? Yes I like to think everyone could be adults about this and follow rules, but instances in the US have proved otherwise with some groups testing the boundaries and refusing to wear masks in public places or social distance. 

How do you think the cruise companies will deal with violators of the guest vacation policy? Will security now be policing around and telling people to wear their mask or will they just go with it with a blind eye? 

If the cruise lines want to have a successful come back, the passengers also need to do their part when onboard. If not, i don't think the cruise lines have a chance of surviving if another mass outbreak occurs. 

Many people in the US don't wear masks because it's not a law and therefore we have the freedom to choose as to whether we believe the hype or not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Tapi said:

I want to think that people who do choose to cruise will abide by the rules.

Considering people have been breaking cruise rules probably since the first ever cruise, why do you think they would start following rules now?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, ipeeinthepool said:

 

What could be better than a destination cruise to Senor Frogs in Cozumel?

 

 

Senor Frogs at Cruise Terminal - Picture of Half Senor Frogs, Cozumel -  Tripadvisor

Is this why you pee in the pool?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, bigrednole said:

Like the current cruises that have been successful, they had no issue dumping people at a port. Follow the rules or get dumped at a foreign port.

I’m pretty sure that in the case of MSC everyone involved (ship, port, passengers) were Italian. It will get interesting when (for example) a Bahamian ship refuses rule breaking US citizens reboarding while they are considered in-transit in Saint Maarten, and Sint Maarten refuses to take them as landed passengers. Stay tuned...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can't wait for the first post debating who's worse, people who take off their masks in line at the WJ or chair hogs? Followed by the next post titled "Why do I have to wear a mask if that 2 year old toddler doesn't"? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jptoz said:

It's very easy, follow the rules. Wear the mask or don't go. Your on private property, at sea. Don't like it don't go, protest at home. So sick of these people making a political statement about a mask. But you know there will be some with there fake medical exemption  card, trying to pull that B.S. 

I read that MSC was not allowing any medical exceptions for mask wearing.  If someone has a medical reason they cannot wear a mask then they were not permitted to board.  I would hope rcl do the same.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, TravelerThom said:

I’m pretty sure that in the case of MSC everyone involved (ship, port, passengers) were Italian. It will get interesting when (for example) a Bahamian ship refuses rule breaking US citizens reboarding while they are considered in-transit in Saint Maarten, and Sint Maarten refuses to take them as landed passengers. Stay tuned...

That is Costa cruises that is italian residents only.  MSC has passengers from any Schegen country.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've read posts where people were saying once the ship sails the mask is coming off and they can't make me wear it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

I read that MSC was not allowing any medical exceptions for mask wearing.  If someone has a medical reason they cannot wear a mask then they were not permitted to board.  I would hope rcl do the same.

My first thought is if someone has such a medical reason should they really be travelling right away? My second thought is with all that's at stake for the cruise lines (their very survival) I can't see them granting exemptions for anyone......IF masks are required that is. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Computer Nerd said:

Considering people have been breaking cruise rules probably since the first ever cruise, why do you think they would start following rules now?

Because in the past, if someone hogged a pool chair, or if someone wore shorts to the MDR for dinner, it wouldn’t risk shutting down the entire cruise industry. Knowing what’s at stake, I’m pretty confident that the cruise lines will strictly enforce any Covid related rule.

Edited by Tapi

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...