World Cruise - Same menus, same entertainment over and over?

Geoffa30

Hi All

Hope an experienced Princess World Cruise Expert (or others) might be able to help with this. Fingers crossed.

My partner retires from the NHS in March 2022 and we’re looking at that blowout retirement cruise to celebrate. Thinking of the World Cruise or the London to Sydney segment of the 2022 Coral Princess voyage in May 2022.

Does anyone know how a world cruise works on Princess please? Thinking about whether there are special menus and entertainment appropriate to the places visited or is it the usual 7 or 14 day menus / schedule repeated over and over? 

Any information gratefully received. Thank you. 

We have gone on long segments of the WC on three separate occasions ( NYC to Sydney, Sydney to NYC, Dubai to UK). A fair proportion of the passengers go on the whole cruise so there isn't too much repetition of menus and entertainment. The menus are changed, although menu items will be repeated. In the past, Princess had a special production group of singers/dancers who only worked on WCs. Their shows were totally different from the usual selection. There are formal nights and captain's parties etc on each segment.

I was booked on a segment of the 2020 WC which is course was cancelled. It is easier to book a cabin on the whole cruise, compared with a segment. When I booked, there was only one cabin available in the type of cabin I wanted.

I want to go on segments of the 2022 WC and intend to book tomorrow because of the limited availability. Up to six months prior to the cruise I can cancel without penalty. I do not intend to cancel but in these uncertain times, who knows what will happen.

• Like 1

We have done a portion of the World Cruise in 2019, and several cruises of 28 to 30 days, so this is my experience based on that.  I used to write down entire menus on note cards and started taking them on my next cruise.  What I learned: there are about 18 standard menus.  On some cruises there are exact duplicates (repeats of menus), then on other cruises there are menus that take appetizers, soups, salads, entrees from those 18 and mix it up.

on our portion of the WC there was a duo band that was excellent, drawing more and more folks as the cruise went on.  They said they were staying on for several segments.

There was a women on board who was not part of the Cruise staff, she was hired to do the daily arts and craft sessions.  She and another women switch off on world cruises doing arts and crafts.  Our lecturer was a DNA expert, he was leaving after 15 days.  Other entertainment came and went at different ports, so yes the entertainment changes, maybe not as often as on some other cruises.

Have fun planning and celebrating your partners retirement.  We celebrated mine in 2013 with our first 28 day cruise to the Hawaii Islands and the South Pacific.

• Like 2

A repeat of certain dishes can be a good thing, I have found a dish I really loved, and really wanted to be able to have it again during the trip.

I think taking the entire world cruise is less about the cost per night and more about the “club” of being able to say that you have done it.  

• Like 1

Having been on the last full world cruise in 2019, here are a few thoughts. 

Food

Food does repeat, but it is over 100 days or it is fine. There is only so much variation in salmon, beef, chicken, port, etc.   But, they do a great job keeping it interesting. On occasion, they are able to bring aboard a special entree purchase and do something special. They also so special Sunday brushes for specials a few times.  These buffers are a total and complete feast.  Beyond words.  

Food can only be brought aboard at pre-arranged and approved locations.  Most food is shipped weeks in advance for pickup upon arrival in selected ports. Tahiti, Sydney, Cape Town, etc.  So most is frozen or canned.  Bread is of course made fresh. 

Entertainment

they hire a special team that will be aboard for most or all of the cruise.  Do not expect the usual shows like Motor City. 

Life on board

A WC is a wow experience and unlike even a long cruise. You are more living in a small studio rather than cruising.  Your relationship with staff and passengers is much more complex and interesting.  

Edited by tcdcruiser
  • Like 2

Thanks everyone for your replies. We’ve gone ahead and booked the 51 night London to Auckland segment of the Coral Princess world cruise. We plan to do a road trip around New Zealand once we arrive in Auckland. 

Disappointingly only guarantee mini suites were available which put me off slightly and no sign of Princess Plus in the U.K. Fingers crossed that it becomes available at some point before sailing and that we are assigned a decent cabin.

Long way off but something to look forward to especially given current circumstances.

1 hour ago, Geoffa30 said:

Thanks everyone for your replies. We’ve gone ahead and booked the 51 night London to Auckland segment of the Coral Princess world cruise. We plan to do a road trip around New Zealand once we arrive in Auckland. 

Disappointingly only guarantee mini suites were available which put me off slightly and no sign of Princess Plus in the U.K. Fingers crossed that it becomes available at some point before sailing and that we are assigned a decent cabin.

Long way off but something to look forward to especially given current circumstances.

Managed to add Princess Plus and switch to a specific cabin by speaking to someone at Princess 😃

• Like 2

4 hours ago, drsel said:
On 9/15/2020 at 9:43 AM, Geoffa30 said:

Managed to add Princess Plus and switch to a specific cabin by speaking to someone at Princess emoji2.png

Princess plus is almost $40 more per person per night for the unlimited drinks package, Wi-Fi and gratuities

Yes I know. To us, it’s a good deal. Prefer not to have to worry about what our drinks bill might be at the end of a cruise. This applies to just a 7 day cruise so for a 51 day cruise it’s a no-brainer. Will definitely need Wi-Fi throughout the entire cruise too.

Yes I know. To us, it’s a good deal. Prefer not to have to worry about what our drinks bill might be at the end of a cruise. This applies to just a 7 day cruise so for a 51 day cruise it’s a no-brainer. Will definitely need Wi-Fi throughout the entire cruise too.
So what is the price difference for Princess plus in a 51 night Cruise?
Is the price difference over $2000?

7 minutes ago, drsel said:

yes, if you look at it like that ... but ( isn't there always a but ? )

40-15 day grats = $25 x 51 days = $1,275

$25 pf pd for drinks , but wait, that's not all ! 🍷 we'll even through in unlimited wifi valued at $10 per day !! 

so, the beverage package , net of grats and wifi = $ 15 pp pd ( we call that breakfast 😉 )

$15 x 51days = $ 765

we are not big internet users ( at least on cruises ) and can live with the $25 pp pd cost of beverages

14 hours ago, drsel said:

I’m not sure what point you’re trying to make. I’m assuming you’re questioning why we would pay for Princess Plus? 

I’m in the U.K. so it’s £35 per day so £1,785 for 51 nights. For two people this is £3,570.

We’re in a mini-suite so gratuities are $15.50 each per day per person so this is $1,581 which is approximately £1,220.

Internet is say $14.99 per day for multiple devices so this is $765 or £590.

The above totals £1,810 which leaves £1,760 for drinks including coffee, water etc. This is £34.50 per day in total or £17.25 each.

When we haven’t had a package our drinks bill for a two week cruise has been anything up to £1,000 so as I said Princess Plus is a no brainer. Unlike some cruisers, we don’t enjoy the free ‘coffee’, iced tea or the metallic tasting water produced on board and we like to enjoy a drink or three throughout the day. Everyone is different.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Geoffa30 said:

I’m not sure what point you’re trying to make. I’m assuming you’re questioning why we would pay for Princess Plus? 

I’m in the U.K. so it’s £35 per day so £1,785 for 51 nights. For two people this is £3,570.

We’re in a mini-suite so gratuities are $15.50 each per day per person so this is $1,581 which is approximately £1,220.

Internet is say $14.99 per day for multiple devices so this is $765 or £590.

The above totals £1,810 which leaves £1,760 for drinks including coffee, water etc. This is £34.50 per day in total or £17.25 each.

When we haven’t had a package our drinks bill for a two week cruise has been anything up to £1,000 so as I said Princess Plus is a no brainer. Unlike some cruisers, we don’t enjoy the free ‘coffee’, iced tea or the metallic tasting water produced on board and we like to enjoy a drink or three throughout the day. Everyone is different.

Your analysis shows what we have found.

If you would normally have purchased the beverage package in the past, then Princess Plus is a big bargain. It costs less than the beverage package would have by itself and then has gratuities and Internet thrown in.

If you would not have purchased the beverage package, then it is also a no brainer, don't get Princess Plus.

• Like 1

If you would not have purchased the beverage package, then it is also a no brainer, don't get Princess Plus. 

I agree wholeheartedly!

At least on Carnival, many who purchase the unlimited alcohol package consume around 8 to 12 drinks per person per day. 

For them, it makes perfect sense to purchase the unlimited alcoholic drinks package.

It becomes good value, provided both occupants in the cabin drink well and exploit the package to its fullest.

The same logic applies for the internet package.

Good value depends on consumption and it varies for each and everyone.

5 hours ago, caribill said:

If you would normally have purchased the beverage package in the past, then Princess Plus is a big bargain. It costs less than the beverage package would have by itself and then has gratuities and Internet thrown in.

For us the free internet has no value. We have never even come close to using all our free minutes, even on long cruises. The ability to get specialty coffees, and unlimited brewed coffee also has little value. We have traded our mini bar for coffee packages. The gratuities and the beverage package have value. Doing the math it only takes 2 to 3 drinks/day/pp to break even depending on how many sodas, coffees and other non-alcoholic beverages consumed. The $70/day beverage package breakeven is around 5 to 7 drinks per day. Though we don't consume many alcoholic drinks the plus package math still makes sense for us and should make our voyage more enjoyable. 

I'm not certain I agree with your statement highlighted above. Each has to do their own math to determine value.

Edited by skynight
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, caribill said:

I would never purchase the beverage package. $70+ per day for drinks is crazy. However, I would end up buying at least a couple of drinks and a coffee each day and that totally covers the "extra" (above gratuities) that it costs for Princess Plus.

• Like 1