Glimmer of hope?

kruzinkel

I have been reading some posts on the MSC board regarding their recent sailings out of Italy.  It seems to me that the precautions put in place make sense and still allow some sort of "normal" cruise.

If these are the sorts of precautions and policies that RC is able to put in place, I can certainly abide by them and have just a spark of hope regarding my Nov 5 Indy cruise and certainly my April Harmony transatlantic

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I've been reading the same threads... I think there is reason for optimism.  I've also seen a few Youtube videos posted by folks on the Grandiosa.  So far it looks pretty good.  If similar precautions are used for cruises sailing out of the US I'll be onboard.  

• Like 3

True, but my cruise on the 4th only goes to Coco Cay and Nassau.  I would be perfectly happy to skip Nassau and sail in circles for that day.  I think modified itineraries to start may be where RC is headed.  Just hope they can get something worked out!

• Like 2

The CDC does not appear to be working in good faith with the cruise industry.  Read an article from CC yesterday outlining a meeting with pols and cruise industry execs pushing back at the CDC for allowing sections of the travel and tourism industry to restart while the cruise industry works its butt off to comply with CDC demands.  It seems the CDC is leaving cruisers swinging in the wind.

• Like 2

The CDC is the wildcard.  

The last time they took 14 weeks to respond to the responses submitted by cruise lines.   Now they have 3,000+ public responses to review as well.  They'll use that to justify a slow response.  If they take another 3 months to respond to Royal assuming Royal submits by the end of September there goes 2020.  If they don't like something and demand a change how long to review the next submission?    

I'm hoping my May cruises go but they involve Canada which is another wildcard.  

I'm all for optimism but we have to temper that with a dose of reality.  If a vaccine come to market I'm assuming it will be a while before it's available to joe public like a flu vaccine is.  

I know we all want it but we have to get the numbers down on land before the CDC is going to flinch.  If the numbers flare up in the fall as some data suggests the CDC won't flinch.  Since they are one of the voices warning of coming flare up the CDC is not going to give approval until their own science is proven wrong.

Sit tight folks, it may be a while.

• Like 6

17 minutes ago, twangster said:

The CDC is the wildcard.  

The last time they took 14 weeks to respond to the responses submitted by cruise lines.   Now they have 3,000+ public responses to review as well.  They'll use that to justify a slow response.  If they take another 3 months to respond to Royal assuming Royal submits by the end of September there goes 2020.  If they don't like something and demand a change how long to review the next submission?    

I'm hoping my May cruises go but they involve Canada which is another wildcard.  

I'm all for optimism but we have to temper that with a dose of reality.  If a vaccine come to market I'm assuming it will be a while before it's available to joe public like a flu vaccine is.  

I know we all want it but we have to get the numbers down on land before the CDC is going to flinch.  If the numbers flare up in the fall as some data suggests the CDC won't flinch.  Since they are one of the voices warning of coming flare up the CDC is not going to give approval until their own science is proven wrong.

Sit tight folks, it may be a while.

To further your excellent comments, I think some are forgetting that the CDC does not have to work in "good faith".  The CDC's mission and pledge do not care about emotion or economic impact of cruisers or the cruise industry.  As much as we and the industry would wish for it, it won't make a difference.

1342170276_ScreenShot2020-09-14at11_18_07AM.thumb.png.5b6bcd0728b91381c993e988b1774acc.png

I want to see cruises get going sooner than later, so I know if I want to make final payment in December for my March 2021 cruise.  However with the tasks/jobs they have to complete at their current pace, for cruising to supposedly resume November 1st, I too just don't see it happening on time.   

Edited by A&L_Ont
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

In March we were told by the POTUS that there would be a vaccine by Sept.Israel supposedly was going to have a vaccine by June.

I am hoping that  there will be one by next year but I doubt it very much.

You clearly aren't up to date on how the vaccine is progressing.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, A&L_Ont said:

To further your excellent comments, I think some are forgetting that the CDC does not have to work in "good faith".  The CDC's mission and pledge do not care about emotion or economic impact of cruisers or the cruise industry.  As much as we and the industry would wish for it, it won't make a difference.

1342170276_ScreenShot2020-09-14at11_18_07AM.thumb.png.5b6bcd0728b91381c993e988b1774acc.png

I want to see cruises get going sooner than later, so I know if I want to make final payment in December for my March 2021 cruise.  However with the tasks/jobs they have to complete at their current pace, for cruising to supposedly resume November 1st, I too just don't see it happening on time.   

If you have a complaint about the CDC, if it doesn't pertain to their mission statement and the pledge to the American people, your wasting your time and anybody who reads it. 

• Like 1

Safety depends on compliance.

The American citizenry does not have a good track record with compliance with mask wearing and social distancing.

You can see that just on this board with many of the comments on other threads on these topics.

There is good reason to be hesitant about the resumption of cruising.

• Like 16

15 minutes ago, Merion_Mom said:

Safety depends on compliance.

The American citizenry does not have a good track record with compliance with mask wearing and social distancing.

You can see that just on this board with many of the comments on other threads on these topics.

There is good reason to be hesitant about the resumption of cruising.

Wow,we agree on something. My faith in humanity has been restored.😀

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Ashland said:

Well myself and those on my roll call for our July 30, 2021 British Isles are optimistic and starting to talk excursions:classic_wink:

As well you should. The early bird gets the worm, so they say. Hesitate and they'll get snatched up by others. Wonderful excursions through the British Isles.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, kruzinkel said:

I have been reading some posts on the MSC board regarding their recent sailings out of Italy.  It seems to me that the precautions put in place make sense and still allow some sort of "normal" cruise.

If these are the sorts of precautions and policies that RC is able to put in place, I can certainly abide by them and have just a spark of hope regarding my Nov 5 Indy cruise and certainly my April Harmony transatlantic

Best wishes, OP. We're even FURTHER out in June 2021 and it still doesn't appear to being a good cruise because of this covid crap. I hope yours sails, and if so, give us a review.

Company CEO Albert Bourla has said it is “likely” the US will get a coronavirus vaccine treatment to the public before the end of the year.

“I cannot say what the FDA will do,” Bourla said. “But I think it’s a likely scenario, and we are preparing for it.”

That scenario includes distributing “hundreds of thousands of doses.”

I doubt distribution would be widespread enough to impact cruising much before June, 2021.  But I'll keep my fingers and toes crossed.  Then there's the whole question of effectiveness........