Where in the world is HAL?

bennybear

16 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

Broome, Western Australia, the scene of Japanese air attacks in 1942

6622722-16x9-large.jpg

Broome, Western Australia 11.jpg

Yes!  In 2002, during the 64 day APEC cruise, the Volendam went there as a replacement port after the bombing in Bali.

Very neat little town.  Saw a lot of the area from a small plane and enjoyed a cold beer at a bar on Cable Beach.  Also, mailed our absentee ballot from there.  Still don’t know if it made in time to be counted.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RetiredMustang said:

It is Central America in the sense that it is south of the U.S. and north of South America, but I think most would consider it on a Caribbean island.  Here is a shot looking from the Ryndam (through the plexiglass on the upper deck) toward the main part of the port:

1377102608_lookingfromRyndamtothemainportarea.jpg.b0900d6d59e3a6e5022618883d60fd68.jpg

We visited it in the 1990s and early 2000s, but when this was taken in 2011 was the last time we were there.  I don't think HAL goes there any more.

Dave

This part of the island apparently has a large number of rivers.  In fact, once we hiked up one to a pretty waterfall.

Dave

14 minutes ago, 1ANGELCAT said:

Hoboken

Yes, winner! 🙂 Statendam III is departing from HAL's 5th Street Pier in Hoboken, N.J. with the aid of one of Morgan Towing Corp tugs (hence, the big "M" on her stack) for her trek across the pond back to Rotterdam.

Here's another one, this time of the "Darling of the Dutch," Nieuw Amsterdam II, departing Hoboken, again with the aid of several Morgan tugs (no side thrusters yet) around 1952/1953 

HAL Hoboken, NJ 5th Street Pier with Nieuw Amsterdam departing.jpg

Edited by Copper10-8

14 hours ago, Copper10-8 said:

This is a pure guess; Pointe-a-Pitre, Guadeloupe

Sorry, John, I knew this was harder than HMC and St. Thomas that I posted before, but I didn't think it was a poser.  The area of the island has a large number of rivers -- eight of them, apparently.  There were two larger ships at the normal cruise pier, so Ryndam being the smallest, we were given the berth in the industrial port just down the way.  If you walked out of the industrial port and along the seafront for a few hundred meters, you found this:

Ocho_Rios_Island_Village.jpg.4e49ca301ccab902a62c5a7caf1edb2a.jpg

It is Ocho Rios, Jamaica.  Inside is a Margaritaville, from where I took the shot back to the Ryndam.   On our first trip there in 1996, we took an excursion to Dunn's River Falls, which was great fun.  Since the port of Falmouth has been completed, it seems fewer cruise ships are going to Ocho Rios or Montego.

Or Guadeloupe, either, for whatever reason -- we went once in the 1990s, and haven't been on a cruise since that included it.

Dave

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

Same port as this one caddy corner across the street from the terminal 😉 

d5ed5356-5a44-4009-ada3-6d79515e45d1.jpg

Just now, d9704011 said:

Castries, St. Lucia

Yes, we've berthed both sides of the harbor, Pointe Seraphine to the left of my photo, and the Carenage terminal to the right.  I've always thought an early-morning sail-in to Castries as being one of the prettier ones in the Caribbean.

Dave

• Like 1