Where in the world is HAL?

bennybear

27 minutes ago, Cruise Suzy said:

St Maarten?

Winner!  It is Philipsburg in Sint Maarten, which is what the Dutch call their part of the island.  The French call their part St. Martin.

The dock we used as a tender pier is still in the center of town, and you can take water taxis to and from the cruise pier if you don't want to walk along the short.

Dave

Edited by RetiredMustang
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, bennybear said:

Ok nearly 24 hours,  not Corfu or Kerkira,  same sea, further west.  I thought the tower might give it away🤷‍♀️

That's why some of us thought Korfu/Kerkira because that pier has such a navaid tower but, having said that, the Korfu tower is a bit different

High Rise Cruise ships in Port | Corfu cruise port | 35mmMan | Flickr 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, RetiredMustang said:

This part of the island apparently has a large number of rivers.  In fact, once we hiked up one to a pretty waterfall.

Dave

I've been busy and missed a a day here. 

As for Ocho Rios, we were there on the Veendam in 2018 on a Cuba Adventure cruise. It was my first time back since the 1990's.

We had the cargo dock while MSC Seaside had the main dock. We were first in, so found a low price taxi van before Seasides throngs got there.

1 hour ago, bennybear said:

Ok nearly 24 hours,  not Corfu or Kerkira,  same sea, further west.  I thought the tower might give it away🤷‍♀️

We still think this is a picture of Corfu.  We found a stock picture of Corfu taken from almost the same angle, but without another ship in port.  In this picture, the tower matches the one in your picture, and the green and white pylon on the end of the pier matches.  The building to the left of the ship looks like the port building you go through to leave and return to the ship.  This picture was taken June 29, 2012.  You can find it on alamy.com.

In recent years, the port has been enlarged and changed from when we first visited.

We have looked at pictures of other ports in the same sea, west and even in other areas, and could not find a picture that matched your picture.  What are we missing?

CT3TNJ.thumb.jpg.3b54393d2b0405e22dc5b758240c0403.jpg

1 hour ago, Copper10-8 said:

That's why some of us thought Korfu/Kerkira because that pier has such a navaid tower but, having said that, the Korfu tower is a bit different

High Rise Cruise ships in Port | Corfu cruise port | 35mmMan | Flickr 

Copper 10-8, I found this picture on line too.  It was taken on August 5, 2019, while the one I just posted was taken in August 29, 2012.  The pier has undergone changes and was extended between those two pictures.  That might explain the difference between the two pictures.

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

We still think this is a picture of Corfu.  We found a stock picture of Corfu taken from almost the same angle, but without another ship in port.  In this picture, the tower matches the one in your picture, and the green and white pylon on the end of the pier matches.  The building to the left of the ship looks like the port building you go through to leave and return to the ship.  This picture was taken June 29, 2012.  You can find it on alamy.com.

In recent years, the port has been enlarged and changed from when we first visited.

We have looked at pictures of other ports in the same sea, west and even in other areas, and could not find a picture that matched your picture.  What are we missing?

CT3TNJ.thumb.jpg.3b54393d2b0405e22dc5b758240c0403.jpg

Mea culpa!  I just double checked and you are correct it is Corfu, one should not rely on memory!  I now owe several more Cuban lunches!  

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Copper 10-8, I found this picture on line too.  It was taken on August 5, 2019, while the one I just posted was taken in August 29, 2012.  The pier has undergone changes and was extended between those two pictures.  That might explain the difference between the two pictures.

The photo I posted was also from August 2012.  Good eye!