Jump to content

Might be a silly question


Recommended Posts

37 minutes ago, southernshug said:

but are there normally excursions in Glacier Bay or do you just stay on the ship?

All of our cruises that included Glacier Bay were just cruising, no excursions were available.

Link to post
Share on other sites

This is only sailing.    I've detailed this elsewhere  but,  reference the nps.gov  site.    Park Rangers and Alaska Geographic board the ship at Bartlett Cove and escort the ship for the day.     There are narrations and programs during the day.     You will see at least 4 glaciers.    It is always a benefit for me,  to be out prior to entry-  which few people are.   Note-  from entrance-  it is  about 3++  hours before you get to glaciers.   

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, southernshug said:

Thank you so much. Ive been working on excursions and that one just had me puzzled, lol

A superb tour to consider is if your ship sails Tracy Arm.   The add  on ship excursion, far exceeds the viewing compared to the cruise ship transit.   

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Budget Queen said:

A superb tour to consider is if your ship sails Tracy Arm.   The add  on ship excursion, far exceeds the viewing compared to the cruise ship transit.   

Definitely agree; we love the excursion off the ship.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...

might also depend on who you're sailing with.  We did Glacier Bay last year, on celebrity and they had an excursion that was a smaller ship (the St. Theodosious)  that got much closer to the glacier.  Boarded about an hour after we entered the bay...and if I remember correctly was about 2 hrs total on the smaller vessel.  

100_4322.JPG

100_4329.JPG

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, tutuwahineLV said:

might also depend on who you're sailing with.  We did Glacier Bay last year, on celebrity and they had an excursion that was a smaller ship (the St. Theodosious)  that got much closer to the glacier.  Boarded about an hour after we entered the bay...and if I remember correctly was about 2 hrs total on the smaller vessel.  

100_4322.JPG

100_4329.JPG

Which ship were you on?  I didn't know that Celebrity went to Glacier Bay. I know that Allen Marine offers a tour to Hubbard Glacier that off loads people from the cruise ship.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Glaciers said:

The Theodosius was the Allen Marine vessel that was at Hubbard Glacier last year.

 

We were booked on that vessel.  Unfortunately, we had pea soup fog and our excursion was cancelled.

Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Italy52 said:

Which ship were you on?  I didn't know that Celebrity went to Glacier Bay. I know that Allen Marine offers a tour to Hubbard Glacier that off loads people from the cruise ship.

 

I'm pretty sure it was the Eclipse.  Great trip over all.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/5/2020 at 3:24 AM, tutuwahineLV said:

might also depend on who you're sailing with.  We did Glacier Bay last year, on celebrity and they had an excursion that was a smaller ship (the St. Theodosious)  that got much closer to the glacier.  Boarded about an hour after we entered the bay...and if I remember correctly was about 2 hrs total on the smaller vessel.  

 

 

Celebrity did not go to Glacier Bay last year.

 

I think you are thinking of Hubbard Glacier which does have a a small boat excursion from the ship. Glacier Bay does not.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/15/2020 at 11:41 AM, southernshug said:

but are there normally excursions in Glacier Bay or do you just stay on the ship?

You will stay on the ship. Park Rangers board the ship and there are lectures onboard that day.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • Q&A with Chris Prelog, President of Windstar Cruises!
      • Register Now for Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Royal Caribbean
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...