Sun Princess

bubbapuck

I am supposed to be on this ship for Alaska in July 2021. Looks like it may not happen.

Japan Grace, which operates the Peace Boat cruise operation, announced it has chartered a new, modern cruise ship that will replace the Ocean Dream and Zenith pairing.

Starting in 2021 the Pacific World will replace both the Ocean Dream and Zenith as Peace Boat's sole vessel.

It is believed the ship is the current Sun Princess.

"We believe that this vessel upgrade will give those already registered for the cruises from Spring 2021 onward a better and safer cruise experience," the group said.

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/23509-peace-boat-to-modernize-cruise-fleet-with-newer-ship.html?fbclid=IwAR1Eo01_9D_SUqQ1jYQiF0P2OLrtLu5_WGLYJR5ng8dF7GuRU20_U19kRxc

Edited by bubbapuck
  • Like 1

Well as of today the Sun is still listed on the Princess Website as sailing through August of 2021.    Anything can change and has.   If it does I hope you get a replacement ship you like.   We really liked the Sun Class Princess ships.    A nice size. 

Just now, waltd said:

Well as of today the Sun is still listed on the Princess Website as sailing through August of 2021.    Anything can change and has.   If it does I hope you get a replacement ship you like.   We really liked the Sun Class Princess ships.    A nice size. 

when I first booked I was not too happy about the Sun but the more I looked at it, it seemed like it would be perfect for my wife and I to goto Alaska. I guess we will see what happens. Stupid COVID. 🙂

We are scheduled on the Sun in April so I am hoping it's not true.  But it's the oldest and one of the least efficient ships in the fleet so it fits the profile of the ships that Carnival is retiring.  The only thing that doesn't make sense to me is that a cruise line with a focus on the environment would purchase an older ship but stranger things have happened.

5 minutes ago, greenie082756 said:

We are scheduled to sale on the Sun Princess on July 31st.

I went on the website and Aug. 14th is the last date I could see of sailings.

I sure hope that our July 31st to Alaska is still a go.

I am in the same boat. I am in the same cruise leaving July 17th. The article said Spring 2021 so it doesn’t look good but until it is official, I still have hope. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, waltd said:

when I first booked I was not too happy about the Sun but the more I looked at it, it seemed like it would be perfect for my wife and I to goto Alaska. I guess we will see what happens. Stupid COVID. 🙂

• Like 1

Just went on to Princess.com to see if there was any sort of price change on my July cruise on the Sun to Alaska. All four cruises out of LA to Alaska on the Sun are listed as “Sold Out”. We ho looked yesterday there was plenty of rooms available on all decks. 

could be hearing news on my cruise soon. Time to start looking at other options I guess. 

• Like 1

We have our fingers crossed that they find another ship to do the LA-Alaska cruises next summer.  Maybe even on to do them for the full season like the Golden was scheduled to do this year.  

It's been quite a while since having my fingers crossed has helped - this will be our 5th cruise canceled since the pandemic (Yes, I know - it is very much a first world problem) 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, CRUZBUDS said:

We have our fingers crossed that they find another ship to do the LA-Alaska cruises next summer.  Maybe even on to do them for the full season like the Golden was scheduled to do this year.  

It's been quite a while since having my fingers crossed has helped - this will be our 5th cruise canceled since the pandemic (Yes, I know - it is very much a first world problem) 

I agree. Looking at the 14 day cruises going out of Vancouver. I would prefer LA so I dont have to fly. I just don’t want all of the good cabins on the Vancouver cruises be gone before I find out LA has been cancelled completely. 

48 minutes ago, bubbapuck said:

Just went on to Princess.com to see if there was any sort of price change on my July cruise on the Sun to Alaska. All four cruises out of LA to Alaska on the Sun are listed as “Sold Out”. We ho looked yesterday there was plenty of rooms available on all decks. 

could be hearing news on my cruise soon. Time to start looking at other options I guess. 

All Sun Princess sailings for all dates/regions have either been removed from the Princess website or marked sold out.  Sea Princess schedule has also been removed.  Expect a public announcement of cancellations/sale soon.  

Edited by AtlantaCruiser72

1 hour ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

All Sun Princess sailings for all dates/regions have either been removed from the Princess website or marked sold out.  Sea Princess schedule has also been removed.  Expect a public announcement of cancellations/sale soon.  

They are all back, and I could do a mock booking for my Sun Princess sailing on June 29th. 

1 hour ago, Ombud said:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peace_Boat

3 sun class ships: Sea, Sun, and Pacific Explorer.  Speculation is that the Sun Princess is going - going - gone but not until September 

Actually four including P&O's Oceana - but you get it right that this type of ship is outbound from CCL Group

Michael

54 minutes ago, TwoBadKnees said:

If the Sun is being chartered, who is the ship's owner? Is Princess / Carnival Corp retaining ownership?

I suspect Princess will sell the ship to Japan Grace, who in turn will do the charter to Peace Boat as they have done since the beginning of these two companies.....

Unless PCL decides to do it themselves but then at least this would guarantee some sort of profitable revenue for them

Michael

• Like 1

Sad we were scheduled on the Sun on July 31 next year and looking forward to seeing what it was like to sail on a smaller ship.  Now appears that is not going to happen.  We are scheduled for four other cruises next year but hearing the CDC head telling Congress Wednesday morning that a vaccine for the masses will not be available until the second or third quarter 2021.  This is all predicated on a vaccine being approved by the FDA and enough vaccine manufactured and available to distribute.  The government fiscal year starts on October 1 so the third quarter is April-June.  So now we continue to wait.  

• Like 1