The Daily for Thursday Sep 17, 2020

richwmn

Our son (Niall) finally has internet at his new house! 

I grew up in Western Pennsylvania and my Mom made fantastic apple dumplings (and pies!) in the Fall. I think we will try our hand at them soon since it is now cool enough for extensive oven use. 

Planter's Punch is a great drink but there are several variations. My favorite comes from Greg Titian who does a series of You Tube videos on making cocktails. If you search "How to Drink" you should find his videos. 

Planter's Punch -

1/4 oz Allspice Dram

3/4 oz Demerara syrup

1 oz Lime juice

3 oz Dark rum

Dash of Angostura bitters

Shake with ice and "open pour" (i.e. let some ice through the strainer) into a glass (or just combine in a glass and serve on the rocks). Garnish with mint sprig and/or a lime wedge or wheel. 

Notes: You can use pretty much any rum, but amber or dark is preferred. Something like Appleton Estate is a great choice (several types are available). Cruzan "Aged Dark" is a good choice if you prefer amber rum. I would not recommend "Navy" style rums like Goslings Black Seal or Cruzan Black Strap for this drink since they may overpower it with their molasses flavors -

20200917_094814.thumb.jpg.ecc3c3660ac5d3fe0dab6fc417bf0e59.jpg20200917_094707.thumb.jpg.5d83eba8b7b0406457333b1c72be9943.jpg

Allspice Dram is a very useful thing to have around as it can be used in Tiki drinks, holiday drinks (eggnog, Tom & Jerry's) and in baking and desserts. It is made from rum, lots of ground allspice and brown sugar. You can make your own but I buy St. Elizabeth  -

20200917_094516.thumb.jpg.a7d6339eaf2cffd22fd21449025a44dd.jpg

Demerara syrup is basically simple syrup made with demerara sugar instead of white sugar. You could probably use light brown sugar instead of demerara. Cane syrup (if you can find it) or agave syrup also works. Lyle's Golden Syrup is another tasty option, but it is awfully thick and difficult to mix into a cold drink. 

This is what happens when you let a chemist do bartending!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, rafinmd said:

Do you suppose Oosterdam just waited it's turn for the canal rather than paying extra for a reservation and daylight transit?  Perhaps once she clears the canal the ETA in Curacao will be updated.  I wonder if they're still on the hook for a commentator and vendors even though there are no passengers.

Roy

Although it seems like a lot of ships are at anchorage off the Pacific Coast of Panama, traffic through the locks seems light. While Oosterdam was going through one set, the other set was empty. It seems like there is currently no wait for ships that actually want to transit.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, DeeniEncinitas said:

Good morning!! Actually it seems like night here!🙄 For some reason I got up at 5:30!!!!! So coffee it is and The Daily!

Later this morning were doing a clean up at our local Moonlight Beach and than heading out to pick up Paisley! 
🌺Rich hope you stay safe with all the rain and I bet your cat wanted to either play or curl up next to you.

🌺Roy appreciate your contributions always from the care/celebrations list to your pictures👍

Todays quote so perfect!! Wish everyone would realize that!

🌺Ann Thankyou for always giving us the ratings and description of the wines. 
Also Thankyou for being my virtual sister.

”How are the twins? Have you seen them?”

🌺Joy! Good morning sister!! Bed and Breakfast wow! You are a gal with many talents. You and Allen have a great day!

So appreciate you and Ann.

Have a blessed day! Stay well all! Be positive and Love our planet!!

Denise😊

The twins are now grown up, but they still wander through together. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, bennybear said:

Good morning All!   No no to sautéed radishes!   Poor Koningsdam, betwixt and between what a year!  

dH got a photo of Mars last night!  

2BDD3B06-9A8F-4C76-9CD6-D3B99E771C70.jpeg

Wow, oh WOW! Thank him! And thank you for posting it!

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 5

Thanks to all of the posters on the Daily. Cool set of Days. I have already thrown some apples in the crockpot for some applesauce, so I'll forgo the apple dumpling today. I love the quote-it is so often true. I'm not a fan of radishes, but next time I actually buy some for DH, I'll give it a go. I don't have the ingredients for the drink, so no on that one.

5 hours ago, ger_77 said:

Does anyone remember when Woolworth's used to sell apple dumplings at their lunch counter?  They were whole apples wrapped in pastry, baked to a golden deliciousness, served with ice cream and a drizzle of caramel sauce on top - a treat to be enjoyed sparingly!

Oh, my! THIS was my treat whenever mom took me downtown. Even as a teenager, every once and a while, I would treat myself. I ❤️ these apple dumplings. And you are right....a little went a looooong way!

2 hours ago, summer slope said:

Not a first world problem but our TA’s office is closing the end of the month. So sad to lose her. Another casualty of the virus. 

I'm so sorry that happened to you. Last time I checked my TA was still in the business. I'll soon find out, since I'll need to cancel my February Panama cruise next month. It is just too soon for me to comfortably cruise. 😢

Blessings, everyone. Be well. Stay safe. Be kind.

• Like 7

15 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

I went to the grocery/pharmacy after lunch:

1. High dose flu shot

2. Pneumonia second of two

3. Shingles first of two

If I have a reaction tonight I won't know what to blame.

Roy

The shingles may give you some flu like symptoms. Don’t plan much just in case, but you may be lucky!  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Vict0riann said:

Good morning, all.  Thanks to Rich and Roy, we learn a lot, and think about others!  A great way to start the day.  

DD sent me this - so cute:

ATT00001.thumb.png.b74a698a2f4a0bf6eb43b42c221628d3.png

True story.  A friend lived a couple miles from a very small town.  Every day he left for work the dog was sleeping on the porch, and there waiting for him when he got home.  One day he was in the local bar in town and got to talking about his great dog.  "Yeah, Whiskey is so good, he always sticks around, is there waiting for me when I get home.....".   The bartender friend said well, actually Whiskey hangs out here most days, he leaves mid afternoon, must have a good idea when you'll get home from work.

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, rafinmd said:

1. High dose flu shot

3. Shingles first of two

Roy

Wow Roy! You hit the trifecta today! Hope you do not have any reactions.

Just remember to take those D3 and B12 vitamins. Dr. Fauci says he takes them daily to help immune system.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Wow Roy! You hit the trifecta today! Hope you do not have any reactions.

Just remember to take those D3 and B12 vitamins. Dr. Fauci says he takes them daily to help immune system.

I think I've now inherited Himself's sore left arm.  Fortunately, I got nothing in the right.

Roy

• Like 4

2 hours ago, rafinmd said:

1. High dose flu shot

3. Shingles first of two

Roy

Good for you Roy!!

The Shingles shot when I got mine was on my right arm by on the inside of my arm. The only reaction I had was several days later a small rash on the skin.

I am glad! You will do well! I will take you off my prayer list!!

Denise😊

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, rafinmd said:

1. High dose flu shot

3. Shingles first of two

Roy

Wow, you really are going to work.

I won’t do my flu shot until October as it’s only good for 6 months and it’s a LONG flu season here 😞 

shingles is a lost case until next year since I just got lucky enough to get shingles 😞 

Caught it early so hopefully by tomorrow night the anti virals will kick in.

In the meantime it’s OUCH time for Kazu 😞 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, richwmn said:

Meal suggestion for today - Sauteed Radishes with Green Beans

Likely not what the suggester had in mind but this is my version:

700169884_IMG_0500(Small).JPG.41ffaf3a845a0869c0b8c80383e4266e.JPG

Neither better nor worse than regular green beans.

Roy

Roy

• Like 11

32 minutes ago, kazu said:

Wow, you really are going to work.

I won’t do my flu shot until October as it’s only good for 6 months and it’s a LONG flu season here 😞 

shingles is a lost case until next year since I just got lucky enough to get shingles 😞 

Caught it early so hopefully by tomorrow night the anti virals will kick in.

In the meantime it’s OUCH time for Kazu 😞 

Oh Jacqui!   Take good care, hope the meds kick in quickly!   And didn’t you just spend two hours at the dentist too?    

• Like 2