Severe "Missing Cruising" attac - a bit of countermeasurement

MouseBerry

What surprised me on our first, and only, but not last Oceania cruise was the lack of duck served other than the watermelon salad in Red Ginger. I thought that was the best dish I had on our Marina cruise last February.

I know there is no Red Ginger on the R class ships but perchance would it be available on our next cruise in the MDR, or elsewhere?

2 minutes ago, alcpa1 said:

What surprised me on our first, and only, but not last Oceania cruise was the lack of duck served other than the watermelon salad in Red Ginger. I thought that was the best dish I had on our Marina cruise last February.

I know there is no Red Ginger on the R class ships but perchance would it be available on our next cruise in the MDR, or elsewhere?

On O class ships & Sirena where they have RG they have to make a lot of ducks for the salad.

I wonder if you could ask to have it as an entree in the MDR?

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

On O class ships & Sirena where they have RG they have to make a lot of ducks for the salad.

I wonder if you could ask to have it as an entree in the MDR?

Duck breast, my favorite entree in “real life,” is on the menu as an entree at least once every two weeks in the Grand Dining Room on Riviera and Marina. Unfortunately, both when I ordered it in the GDR in May 2019 on Marina and March 2020 on Riviera, it was overcooked (cooked way past medium even) so I do not recommend it.  

However the duck and watermelon salad remains a great signature dish in Red Ginger, my favorite specialty for a complete immersive dining experience on both ships. 

Edited by CintiPam

6 minutes ago, CintiPam said:

Duck breast, my favorite entree in “real life,” is on the menu as an entree at least once every two weeks in the Grand Dining Room on Riviera and Marina. Unfortunately, both when I ordered it in the GDR in May 2019 on Marina and March 2020 on Riviera, it was overcooked (cooked way past medium even) so I do not recommend it.  

Thanks. For both chicken and duck I much prefer the “dark meat” - thighs and drumsticks.

I wound if that would make any difference?

25 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

Thanks. For both chicken and duck I much prefer the “dark meat” - thighs and drumsticks.

I wound if that would make any difference?

I think duck is considered "dark meat."

Hi,

apparently the topic "food" rings the bell of some cruisers;-) And it seems some sophisticated eaters are amon us.

Just one note on my first dinner at Red Ginger: we ordered some items, but not the highly praised Miso Glazed Sea Bass.

But it looks they are very proud of this dish and they served it anyway on top of what we have ordered. We tried it. It is not bad, but was not DW and my cup of tea.

The Watermelon and Duck Salad needs duck legs not the breast. The breast of any poultry is a very delicate affair. Legs and thighs are much more forgiving when handled semi-perfect.

Just a question to Sirena Red Ginger: do they serve the full menu of the O class Red Ginger ones or a subset only?

Can hardly imagine to be on an Oceania Cruise in Red Ginger and will not get my WAD-Salad.

cheers

MBerry