Flights to nowhere - any interest?

SelectSys

The QF flight is more than just a flight to "nowhere".  The routing will start in Sydney, but will then do flying over/around both Uluru and the Great Barrier Reef.  Probably some of the Australian mountain ranges as well.

Reminds me of the sightseeing flights of Air New Zealand over Antarctica.  Which tragically ended with the crash on Mt Erebus.

3 hours ago, waterbug123 said:

Miles run?

Seems more like some fans just really miss flying.  

3 hours ago, FlyerTalker said:

Reminds me of the sightseeing flights of Air New Zealand over Antarctica.  Which tragically ended with the crash on Mt Erebus.

Closest I ever got to a sightseeing flight on a commercial carrier was when an Alaska Airlines pilot made a circle of Mount Denali on a clear summer day flying between Anchorage and Fairbanks.  We were so close to the mountain that we could actually see climbers on the peak.

6 hours ago, FlyerTalker said:

Reminds me of the sightseeing flights of Air New Zealand over Antarctica.

I thought of that as well when I read this post.  

What's one going to see flying over the Great Barrier Reef?  

But, Australia is a very diverse country as to landscape and during such a flight, much different scenery could be seen--if one has a window seat.  

Flights to Nowhere for those who have the "flying itch" seems to be much like Cruises to Nowhere for those who have the "cruising itch".  

• Like 1

I'm still flying a lot for work, have been since April once we realized we needed to (I work in aviation, specifically airworthiness, so...planes need to stay airworthy, pandemic or not)...I love planes, I love to fly. But I just don't see myself doing this, even if I weren't flying regularly. 

Pre covid it took us 10 hours or more to fly to Europe and 23 hours, two changes, to fly to Thailand each year. 

We have absolutely no interest in a flight to nowhere.  For us, flying is a means to get there.  If we wanted to see the sights we would rather take a bus. 

Not to mention the airport security and boarding hassle.

Edited by iancal
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, SelectSys said:

Plan B from Singapore - the A380 as a restaurant

https://onemileatatime.com/singapore-airlines-a380-restaurant/

All three of their plans are quite creative.  I would like to see what menus are offered for each class of service as well as the pricing.  Singapore's "Book the Cook" program that has been available for some time was rather innovative when I first discovered it.  

I recall reading something about a re-creation of a "Pan Am" experience in Los Angeles--I think it was.  Reading about that sounded very attractive.