Florida Senators Introduce Set Sail Act Toward Resuming US Cruises

LACruiser88

Cruising 'vital' to Florida's economy

Senator Scott called the cruise industry 'important to our state's economic success

Both Florida senators so of course they value economy over safety due to their ports being closed. It's too political for me to feel safe when it's done by these particular senators. I will wait until it's much safer to cruise based on medical experts opinions. 

Edited by cruzsnooze
  • Like 7

It's similar to any resort opening. People can make their own decision on what they want to do and not want to do. We have done three mini-vacations to resorts since reopening. We recognize the risks involved. We try to mitigate as many risks as possible. And we enjoy ourselves, while trying to maximize our safety. 

The Medical Experts will tell you that it will never be safe to cruise 100% risk free. Even when vaccines are available, a large portion of the population will not be bothered getting vaccinated and continue to spread (at a lower rate) the virus. Heard immunity will help, but it will never be 100% risk free. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, cruzsnooze said:

Senator Scott called the cruise industry 'important to our state's economic success

Both Florida senators so of course they value economy over safety due to their ports being closed. It's too political for me to feel safe when it's done by these particular senators. I will wait until it's much safer to cruise based on medical experts opinions. 

So, do mean that if the bill was introduced by senators from say New York or California it would be OK?

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, cruzsnooze said:

Which medical "experts" opinions as there seem many and conflicting.

• Like 5

On 9/19/2020 at 12:23 AM, BirdTravels said:

It's similar to any resort opening.

Important differences. The risk of an entire ship being held at sea, not able to port and discharge passengers isn't there with a land resort.  At a land based resort those who test negative should be able to leave, go home. More medical services and capacity near land based resorts. At a land based resort more likely your medical insurance would cover medical expenses, especially if they are long term, providing you are within your coverage area. Travel insurance could have some limits.

To us these are considerations before we board a cruise ship. 

• Like 1

On 9/19/2020 at 2:50 AM, caribill said:

This bill would delay resuming cruising if it passes and the panels need to be created and participants vetted and then meet and make decisions which have to be approved before cruising can resume.

I agree.  The only other thing I consider is that to date, this process has seemingly been controlled by a single entity,  and they haven't seemed inclined to move forward.  I submitted a comment over a week ago on their July 21 RFI, and it has yet to be reviewed and posted to the comments section.  Honestly, I expect them to extend, yet again, their no sail order.  A panel with oversight might at least take decisions out of the hands of a single entity and provide a more broad-based review.

I have reached out to our senators and asked that they consider supporting this proposal.

• Like 1

I am glad someone is stepping up political pressure.   The cruise industry deserves a fair hearing and they are not getting a fair hearing.  The medical bureaucrats should only advise.   Politicians should do their job, weigh the many elements of a situation and make a judgement.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Mary229 said:

The medical bureaucrats should only advise.   Politicians should do their job, weigh the many elements of a situation and make a judgement.  

So you like advise from your doctor but a politician to make the judgement? I'll take my doctors advise and use their recommendations and leave politics out of..It is my life is at stake.

Edited by cruzsnooze

4 hours ago, npcl said:

river cruises on the Mississippi and a couple of other rivers, small ship cruises on the great lakes

Sounds safer to me to be in US waters where the coast guard can get you to medical care where your insurance would be honored and of course you speak the native language.