9 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

Cruise lines can't possibly offer something for all the diet du jour and passing fads that come along. They certainly aren't going to make any radical changes. I still haven't forgiven Princess for altering the set dining times. That is one way to get more people to move to anytime.

For everyone on a standard menu, they can’t. Luckily special needs does a pretty good job on most of these cruise lines in accommodating with advance notice and reaching out to the Maitre d’, hostess or a head waiter on a premium line will be able to find something to meet your expectations.

I agree, the dining times on Princess are no longer ideal. For early dining, it used to be 6pm then slowly moved to 5:45, 5:30, 5:15, 5:00, 4:45 and back to what looks like their new sweet spot of 5:15. I still select early dining and it allows ample time to stop by Horizon Court, Alfredo’s or other alternate options before they close at 11pm. The extended hours on Princess have always been one of my favorite features,

Edited by xDisconnections
20 minutes ago, xDisconnections said:

Well, you can do that at home if it’s something you like. Plus, there are so many awesome burger restaurants in NYC where you’re located. Hopefully they’ll be open for dining soon like they are down here.

LOL....

I eat out (during normal times) 6 days a week.  I don't cook. 

I "eat healthy"....fresh fish/fresh vegetables 95% of the time.  Meat...never; chicken...occasionally.  I used to be overweight, then I got a dietician who taught me "how to eat".

I like Guys because I don't ever (never ever) eat burgers "at home" (or in restaurants here)....and there aren't many other good options for me.  I even sneak in a fry or two.  I figure it's ok to eat "junk and enjoy it" for a few days....I call it my rumspringa!

Edited by MsTabbyKats
12 minutes ago, MsTabbyKats said:

LOL....

I "eat healthy"....fresh fish/fresh vegetables 95% of the time.  Meat...never; chicken...occasionally.  I used to be overweight, then I got a dietician who taught me "how to eat".

I like Guys because I don't ever (never ever) eat burgers "at home" (or in restaurants here)....and there aren't many other good options for me.  I even sneak in a fry or two.  I figure it's ok to eat "junk and enjoy it" for a few days....I call it my rumspringa!

I agree Ms TabbyKats, its what you do all the time that affects your body the most.  As long as one goes back to their "normal" eating plan (whatever that is) and doesn't continue eating in "vacation-mode", they should be fine, unless it's a medical issue like diabetes.  

20 hours ago, Amadawn1 said:

BTW, Carnival already has vegan options in their main dining rooms each night.

But they don't, not really. I traveled last fall as a vegan, due to an intolerance, and I was served spaghetti 4 or 5 times on my 7 day cruise. 

Having a plant based option adds a healthy option to dinner and lunch. While a 2018 poll found that there were only 3% of people who were vegan, plant based cooking has increased. There are numerous reasons someone may not want to eat meat. They would open their doors to more people if they offered a single vegan option  instead of a single vegetarian option. Nearly 1 in 4 Americans have cut back on their meat consumption. 

While Carnival is a mass market cruise, I disagree that vegan is a fad diet. I do believe it would be a positive change. But, it is my opinion. 

2 minutes ago, chicchic325 said:

But they don't, not really. I traveled last fall as a vegan, due to an intolerance, and I was served spaghetti 4 or 5 times on my 7 day cruise. 

Having a plant based option adds a healthy option to dinner and lunch. While a 2018 poll found that there were only 3% of people who were vegan, plant based cooking has increased. There are numerous reasons someone may not want to eat meat. They would open their doors to more people if they offered a single vegan option  instead of a single vegetarian option. Nearly 1 in 4 Americans have cut back on their meat consumption. 

While Carnival is a mass market cruise, I disagree that vegan is a fad diet. I do believe it would be a positive change. But, it is my opinion. 

"

Carnival does offer vegetarian, as a number of the crew don't eat much meat. Carnival can provide our guests with meals suited to the following special dietary needs: vegetarian, low-cholesterol, low-fat, low-carbohydrates, low-sugar, and gluten free." They just can't accommodate every diet, but will try to work with individuals IF you request changes in advance - generally at least 24 hours.

Are there any missing?

vegetarian-levels-chart.jpg

Many vegans behave in a cult-like manner attempting to force their choices on others. They are like bike riders that want to take 25% of the roadway for .05% of the traffic. 

Carnival bends over backwards until their nose touches the deck behind them to meet the special needs of passengers. If your needs are not being met, speak up well in advance of departure and see if they can prepare your meals shoreside for consumption during the journey. 

1 hour ago, Amadawn1 said:

While Carnival is a mass market cruise, I disagree that vegan is a fad diet

And by the way, even though I am normally a low carber....I do fall off the wagon on my cruises.  I'm okay with that.  Sushi. Tempura shrimp and vegetables.  Fish and chips.  Taco bowls.  That cranberry bread in the MDR slathered with butter.  A couple of grapes on my cheese plate for dessert in the MDR.  A couple/few too sweet pina coladas on sail away day.  The awesome Chef's table.  It's my vacation and I try to make up for my transgressions when I get home.  I won't let it ruin my cruise or my fun, though.  I can't wait to do it again.  It's been almost a year for most of us at least.  Worrying about Carnival not being able to bend to my culinary demands is a definite no.  Let's go Feb 2021!

1 hour ago, chicchic325 said:

My sister (gluten and vegan) travelled on Carnival with me and every night was reviewed the night before on what she wanted for dinner by a staff member from Carnival.  She was very happy with the entrees brought to her every night.  Sorry that wasn't your case.

19 hours ago, TravelGirlinDallas said:

I’m going to miss choosing all the toppings at Guy’s, since I’m sure it won’t be self-serve like it used to be...

What was weird on our March 2020 cruise was that there was NO self-service on any buffet...except at Guys! Everyone was still serving their own toppings there. 

4 hours ago, chicchic325 said:

I think the issue is wanting composed meals as opposed to having to assemble a meal from available vegan items.

What do you eat at home that you couldn't approximate on a ship? Exclude tofu, tempeh, and satan. You could find vegetables,  grains, rice, pasta, etc.

9 hours ago, MsTabbyKats said:

I "go wild" and enjoy burgers with lots of toppings.  This is something I never ever get to do at home (nor would do if something healthy were available).  If this comes to be....I'm gonna miss them.

I get you.  I lost 40 pounds a few years back.  Generally speaking, I try to eat healthy, so I don't gain it back.  When I am on a cruise, I try all of the toppings!  I don't eat bacon cheese burgers at home very often.  I will eat guy's burger usually once on a cruise.  If I am on a ship that has pig and anchor, I will probably eat that at least once as well.  I eat chocolate melting cake almost every night on a cruise.   I may come home a couple pounds heavier, but I know exactly what to do to get things back on track, when I get home. 

6 hours ago, chicchic325 said:

As an investor with Beyond Meat, I think it’s a great idea to have a plant based alternative and recommend that you rally with the cruise line to push this initiative. I’ll probably never try the product but I’m always happy to see strategic alliances in companies I support.

Edited by xDisconnections
10 hours ago, MsTabbyKats said:

LOL....

I’m glad you’re able to use your vacation to sneak some options that you enjoy! Looks like our diets are very different.

10 hours ago, my kids mama said:

I get you.  I lost 40 pounds a few years back.  Generally speaking, I try to eat healthy, so I don't gain it back.  When I am on a cruise, I try all of the toppings!  I don't eat bacon cheese burgers at home very often.  I will eat guy's burger usually once on a cruise.  If I am on a ship that has pig and anchor, I will probably eat that at least once as well.  I eat chocolate melting cake almost every night on a cruise.   I may come home a couple pounds heavier, but I know exactly what to do to get things back on track, when I get home. 

My other "they better not do away with" indulgence is "the cakes at the lunch buffet".....those huge delicious cakes!  Especially the chocolate cake.

I ask for so little......

Edited by MsTabbyKats
2 hours ago, MsTabbyKats said:

My other "they better not do away with" indulgence is "the cakes at the lunch buffet".....those huge delicious cakes!  Especially the chocolate cake.

I ask for so little......

During my recent Carnival cruise, the cakes and desserts were very disappointing. If that’s something you like, try a Royal class ship on Princess. Their Pastry Shop (complimentary) has some awesome options.

22 hours ago, xDisconnections said:

I agree, the dining times on Princess are no longer ideal. For early dining, it used to be 6pm then slowly moved to 5:45, 5:30, 5:15, 5:00, 4:45 and back to what looks like their new sweet spot of 5:15. I still select early dining and it allows ample time to stop by Horizon Court, Alfredo’s or other alternate options before they close at 11pm. The extended hours on Princess have always been one of my favorite features,

Princess had Early Dining at 4:45pm? Who the hell has dinner before 5pm? 

On 9/19/2020 at 8:16 PM, joeyancho said:

.05% of the population is vegan, so no. They already cater to all special diets.  Carnival is a mass market cruise line. They have to appeal to the broad market, not a .05% niche.

Apparently closer to somewhere between 1% and 2%.

https://sentientmedia.org/how-many-vegans-are-there-in-the-u-s/

However, how many of those self-identifying vegans cruise is another question.

Knowing a few vegans, I can appreciate how difficult it can be to get an interesting and varied diet if you aren't in control of the food supply and cooking.

18 hours ago, xDisconnections said:

As an investor with Beyond Meat, I think it’s a great idea to have a plant based alternative and recommend that you rally with the cruise line to push this initiative. I’ll probably never try the product but I’m always happy to see strategic alliances in companies I support.

They actually offer a beyond burger on some ships for an upcharge on bunch days.