Food Predictions?

Runaway Parent

They may have to ditch lobster night and substitute a nice piece of fish to go with the shrimp.  Many people don't care about lobster anyway.  I kind of look forward to lobster night, but it wouldn't make or break my cruising enjoyment.  There may have to be some other cost cutting in all aspects of cruising, but I would be ok with it if it was needed to stay afloat so to speak.

On 9/22/2020 at 3:54 PM, arby70 said:

They may have to ditch lobster night and substitute a nice piece of fish to go with the shrimp.  Many people don't care about lobster anyway.  I kind of look forward to lobster night, but it wouldn't make or break my cruising enjoyment.  There may have to be some other cost cutting in all aspects of cruising, but I would be ok with it if it was needed to stay afloat so to speak.

The whole "lobstet night" is nothing more than an outdated cultural throwback. Most people have access to frozen lobster tails at their local markets and can watch a 3 minute YouTube video on how to cook it.

Lobster tails aren't expensive or special. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, cruizergal70 said:

The whole "lobstet night" is nothing more than an outdated cultural throwback. Most people have access to frozen lobster tails at their local markets and can watch a 3 minute YouTube video on how to cook it.

True.  Neither a lobster tail or the ingredients for a Fun Ship drink is that expensive and can be made at home.  It's still fun to have both on a cruise.  🙂

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, cruizergal70 said:

One of the attractions of cruising is NOT cooking.

28 minutes ago, ninjacat123 said:

True.  Neither a lobster tail or the ingredients for a Fun Ship drink is that expensive and can be made at home.  It's still fun to have both on a cruise.  🙂

I asked the waiter when we were served the Lobster on our last cruise..." WOW, does Mama Lobster know you stole one of her babies".  Gotta be one of the smallest tails I've seen. But, hey you can order 2 or 3.

• Like 1

On 9/20/2020 at 4:23 PM, chicchic325 said:

But they don't, not really. I traveled last fall as a vegan, due to an intolerance, and I was served spaghetti 4 or 5 times on my 7 day cruise. 

Having a plant based option adds a healthy option to dinner and lunch. While a 2018 poll found that there were only 3% of people who were vegan, plant based cooking has increased. There are numerous reasons someone may not want to eat meat. They would open their doors to more people if they offered a single vegan option  instead of a single vegetarian option. Nearly 1 in 4 Americans have cut back on their meat consumption. 

While Carnival is a mass market cruise, I disagree that vegan is a fad diet. I do believe it would be a positive change. But, it is my opinion. 

Not too much for my Vegan Wife....always some take off on a curry dish and pasta...that's it.

4 hours ago, ninjacat123 said:

3 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

One of the attractions of cruising is NOT cooking.

Same as a burger.

The major issue with any type of food nuance is totally satisfying the population's/passengers eating habits. There are far too many eating styles and needs (traditional, diabetic, vegan, non vegan, pescatarian, etc.). The chefs will have a very difficult time just "safely" feeding the masses. Not the time for this type of change. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, jetsfan58 said:

The major issue with any type of food nuance is totally satisfying the population's/passengers eating habits. There are far too many eating styles and needs (traditional, diabetic, vegan, non vegan, pescatarian, etc.). The chefs will have a very difficult time just "safely" feeding the masses. Not the time for this type of change. 

If anything, Carnival will be cutting costs.....not hiring enough people to make sure "food preparation" for every possible taste/need is available.

What they could do is upgrade the buffet.  I find the Carnival buffet very limited compared to the NCL buffet.  

13 hours ago, ninjacat123 said:

I bet if a McDonald's burger was served on a cruise ship it would taste better than on land. Maybe it's the sea air😉

That would be way too tempting if they had McDonald’s burgers on board. I am not a fan of Guy’s burgers, way too greasy for my liking, but McDonald’s burgers are very addicting in my book, which is why I do my best to stay away from their restaurants. 

19 hours ago, topaz123 said:

I asked the waiter when we were served the Lobster on our last cruise..." WOW, does Mama Lobster know you stole one of her babies".  Gotta be one of the smallest tails I've seen. But, hey you can order 2 or 3.

Which is pretty much, IMHO, why they did away with the Lobster on shorter cruises.  I sat at a table (back in the day when you got sat at the big round tables with other guests you didn't know - before YTD, etc.) and watched two couples, I should say the two men - not the women, literally order and eat 10 lobster tails each.

19 hours ago, wemjam said:

Which is pretty much, IMHO, why they did away with the Lobster on shorter cruises.  I sat at a table (back in the day when you got sat at the big round tables with other guests you didn't know - before YTD, etc.) and watched two couples, I should say the two men - not the women, literally order and eat 10 lobster tails each.

You see it all ....I saw a "lady" go thru the Buffet line, and ate each item on the plate, and  consumed an entire meal during the procession of the buffet line.....

Food prediction

Although I don't exactly know how they'll adjust the 'item selection' portion of the process (most likely by crew assistance), I'm quite excited to know that the preparation area of Mongolian Wok is certain to get a permanent make-over (and a super easy one) that will make it a much safer experience for the guest/passenger on all of their ships.  That was some scary #$@ going down for many years. 

Yippeee!!

6 hours ago, topaz123 said:

You see it all ....I saw a "lady" go thru the Buffet line, and ate each item on the plate, and  consumed an entire meal during the procession of the buffet line.....

This is exactly why I HATE buffets... that, and I saw a kid lick a mashed potato serving spoon and put it right back in the potato’s for others to use. 🤢

2 hours ago, DGP1111 said:

Food prediction

Although I don't exactly know how they'll adjust the 'item selection' portion of the process (most likely by crew assistance), I'm quite excited to know that the preparation area of Mongolian Wok is certain to get a permanent make-over (and a super easy one) that will make it a much safer experience for the guest/passenger on all of their ships.  That was some scary #$@ going down for many years. 

Yippeee!!

Don't they do that now on the new ships (or at least one ship). I thought it was set up similar to the Italian lunch place where you indicate on the order form what ingredients you wanted and they bring the prepared product to you. They might have to move to smart phone/table ordering.

• Like 1