Amending a cruised booked using 25% bonus FCC

ajd1969

Hi

I am hoping somebody can give me some advice on the situation I find myself in. 

We had a 2020 cruise cancelled by NCL due to COVID and we accepted the vouchers instead of a refund (so received some 100% FCC and 25% Bonus FCC vouchers).

We subsequently booked a new cruise for 2021, which was £4,000, but we applied £1,000 of the 25% Bonus FCC’s which reduced the price to £3,000 (as the 25% vouchers reduce the price of the cruise, rather than show as a payment against the cruise).

Unfortunately, we now need to change the date of the 2021 cruise.  We checked online and current price for the new date if £5,000. I called NCL and asked how much it would be to move the cruise and they said it would be £2,000.  I asked if I lost the 25% Bonus vouchers if I moved the cruise, and was told no, they had been applied to the new price I was given. 

This doesn’t seem right to me as if I don’t lose the vouchers then I would expect the cost for moving the cruise to be £1,000, or if the price is £2,000 then surely I have lost the 25% vouchers?

Just hoping somebody may have the answer. 

Thanks in advance

Andy

5 hours ago, ajd1969 said:

Hi

We had a 2020 cruise cancelled by NCL due to COVID and we accepted the vouchers instead of a refund (so received some 100% FCC and 25% Bonus FCC vouchers).

We subsequently booked a new cruise for 2021, which was £4,000, but we applied £1,000 of the 25% Bonus FCC’s which reduced the price to £3,000 (as the 25% vouchers reduce the price of the cruise, rather than show as a payment against the cruise).

Unfortunately, we now need to change the date of the 2021 cruise.  We checked online and current price for the new date if £5,000. I called NCL and asked how much it would be to move the cruise and they said it would be £2,000.  I asked if I lost the 25% Bonus vouchers if I moved the cruise, and was told no, they had been applied to the new price I was given. 

This doesn’t seem right to me as if I don’t lose the vouchers then I would expect the cost for moving the cruise to be £1,000, or if the price is £2,000 then surely I have lost the 25% vouchers?

Thanks in advance

Andy

What is the regular  online price?    That would tell you if the 25% is applied.   This is also a completely new booking.  Some prices have risen significantly.    Are you assuming it should be the same?    

3 hours ago, Budget Queen said:

What is the regular  online price?    That would tell you if the 25% is applied.   This is also a completely new booking.  Some prices have risen significantly.    Are you assuming it should be the same?    

Hi Budget Queen

The regular online price is £5,000 (an increase from the regular online price of £4,000 when I booked it - which is fine, I know this can happen). 

My 25% Bonus FCC reduced the price of my original booking from £4,000 to £3,000, and so if they are not lost, I would expect the vouchers to reduce the amended cruise from £5,000 to £4,000. 

However, when I tried to amend the cruise I was told I would have to pay £5,000 and I was also told this included applying the 25% Bonus FCC’s. 

So I am just trying to find out whether or not I lose the 25% Bonus FCC if I amend my cruise as  the NCL rep I spoke to gave inconsistent advice (ie she said I would not lose the vouchers, but the price she gave suggested I would lose them).

Thanks

Andy

2 hours ago, ajd1969 said:

Hi Budget Queen

The regular online price is £5,000 (an increase from the regular online price of £4,000 when I booked it - which is fine, I know this can happen). 

My 25% Bonus FCC reduced the price of my original booking from £4,000 to £3,000, and so if they are not lost, I would expect the vouchers to reduce the amended cruise from £5,000 to £4,000. 

However, when I tried to amend the cruise I was told I would have to pay £5,000 and I was also told this included applying the 25% Bonus FCC’s. 

So I am just trying to find out whether or not I lose the 25% Bonus FCC if I amend my cruise as  the NCL rep I spoke to gave inconsistent advice (ie she said I would not lose the vouchers, but the price she gave suggested I would lose them).

Thanks

Andy

The agent you were currently talking to -  did not see this?    I’d talk to someone else.   The NCL faq section makes little note about the 25% bonus FCC-   Only that it has to be used against the cruise fare.     Is there a way for you to place a curtesy hold-   Which you can generate an invoice. Then tracking down the missing bonus FCC.  - may be more detailed.  

23 minutes ago, Budget Queen said:

The agent you were currently talking to -  did not see this?    I’d talk to someone else.   The NCL faq section makes little note about the 25% bonus FCC-   Only that it has to be used against the cruise fare.     Is there a way for you to place a curtesy hold-   Which you can generate an invoice. Then tracking down the missing bonus FCC.  - may be more detailed.  

I think I will take your advice and try calling again and ask somebody else as the person I talked to didn’t seem to be very sure!  Thanks. Andy

This was similar to our experience.  We had a '20 cruise cancelled and rebooked the same cruise for a '21 date.  We received the full dollar value of the 125% FCC to that new booking.  We subsequently made a change by booking a specific cabin, and it was treated as a brand new booking, we lost $280 cruise credit and the comp specialty dining was reduced from five nights to four, as that was the promo in effect at that time.  Not crazy about the way that works, but that's life.  At the end of the day, we received the full 125% FCC applied to the amount due.   

• Like 1

21 hours ago, ajd1969 said:

12 hours ago, ajd1969 said:

1. You mentioned the acceptance of the vouchers instead of a refund (so received some 100% FCC and 25% Bonus FCC vouchers). Is the 100% FCC in form of cash value equivalent to the cancelled cruise fare?  and is the 25% bonus FCC in form of a discount coupon?

2. The numbers don't add up. You mentioned the regular online price is £5,000 and the agent quoted you the new fare is to be £5,000 after the 25% discount. You should ask the agent what the new cruise fare would be without the 25% discount? This can reconcile whether what you see online is what you get from the agent.

3. Every FCC discount coupon is unique and can apply once at a time. If your current booking (i.e. £3,000) is not cancelled, the very same coupon can't be applied on the new booking. You can ask the agent how he/she has applied the discount.

To know if they applied the 25% correctly take your base cabin fare on your new ncl reservation or new quote and add your bonus fcc that you initially received. To compare, that amount should be the online cruise fare you can see before taxes, fees, etc. If it's not, then something is not right.

You kinda have to do backwards math to figure it out. Or at least that's what I had to do to make sense of ours.We received a credit due to cancellation as well and booked a cruise with it then later switched it to another cruise and all of our fcc and bonus fcc carried over. It took me a little figuring out but it was right.

I wonder if you are booking too far out?  I can't remember if you had to have a sailing date within a specific timeframe. 

We had a May 2020 cruise canceled and rebooked for May 2021 (got 100% of initial cruise plus 25% FCC plus a 20% discount on May 2021 cruise).  This weekend we canceled the May 2021 cruise and rebooked to May 2022.  We lost the 20% discount but we still received the 100% FCC plus the 25% FCC bonus.  

On 9/20/2020 at 9:59 AM, ajd1969 said:

Hi

Thanks in advance

Andy

4 hours ago, nicoleinwi said:

I wonder if you are booking too far out?  I can't remember if you had to have a sailing date within a specific timeframe. 

We had a May 2020 cruise canceled and rebooked for May 2021 (got 100% of initial cruise plus 25% FCC plus a 20% discount on May 2021 cruise).  This weekend we canceled the May 2021 cruise and rebooked to May 2022.  We lost the 20% discount but we still received the 100% FCC plus the 25% FCC bonus.  

Adj1969, I was also thinking the same as Nicoleinwi; if you did book within a certain time frame and therefore originally got a 20% discount on top of your 100% and 125% FCC? And that this is the reason for the difference in the quoted prices on your new cruise, compared to what you expected? As you would loose that extra 20% discount?

Personally I rebooked a cruise that was cancelled in May 2020 for a different cruise that is scheduled to sail in September 2021 (fingers crossed), and at the time of booking got the extra 20% discount on top of a promotional "general" 30% discount and 25% extra FCC so the total price for this new cruise is similar to what we used to pay for a cruise 15 years ago - so very pleased with that.

How you paid for the cruise is 100% irrelevant.  The price for any given cruise can and very often is different form week to week.  The new cruise is more expensive is all and it has nothing to do with how you did or plan to pay.  BTW you do not want to amend your cruise.  You want to cancel your existing reservation and book a new cruise.

I did what was suggested and called back for a second opinion.  I received a double dose of good news, first confirmation that my 25% off vouchers would be reapplied to the new date and second that the new offer introduced in the last few days resulted in the cost to change only being £240 (the previous quote, without the 25% vouchers, was going to be £2,000 more!).

Thank you all for your advice.

Andy

• Like 2

• 1 month later...