Claims stalled with Travel Insured International

Honeybadger418

My friend and I were booked on the Star Vista Ultimate Disco cruise in February 2021 on the Celebrity Infinity. Due to COVID and my friend’s health issues, we cancelled the cruise in June, 2020 and filed a claim on our CFAR policy with Travel Insured International along with supporting documentation.

As the weeks and months (June-September) pass, calls and Emails to Travel Insured International claims department go unanswered.

When I finally do get a vague Email response in September, the form letter states due to COVID, there is a delay in processing claims.

Has anyone had their CFAR claim processed from Travel Insured International since the pandemic began?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We booked a Royal Caribbean cruise for May with some friends that cancelled in April.  We both had Travel Insured.  We both received full refunds for the cruise, directly from RCL.  Our friends filed an immediate claim with Travel Insured for the airline refund.  As of two weeks ago, they were still waiting on their refund for a claim that originated in late April.

Jason

Insurance is a regulated industry, at least in each USA state.

Have any of you considered filing a complaint with your state's Insurance Commissioner's Office.

We had trouble with a property claim (nothing to do with travel), and the driver's insurer was being, er, non-responsive.  Our agent was also having trouble with them.  A driver had driven off the road, onto our property, and wiped out a fence and some small trees and other plantings.  The other insurer just would not pay our hefty deductible.  (We had joked, "Do they think our fence and trees jumped in front of that car!??", but of course IF we had such clever possessions, the "accident" would have happened on the street, right!?)

Once we mentioned something like how this delay was no longer acceptable... "and we think we have no choice but to file a complaint with <our state's> Insurance Commissioner's Office, guess what!?  Yup, a rather quick reply about how our claim was now being processed, and within a week, we had the check.  It shouldn't come to that, but... it did... And it made a difference.

Might be worth a try.  Squeaky wheel and all, etc., with a little extra "kick"?

Or if you purchased your policy through an insurance broker, ask them to help.

ETA: Just noticed another thread where someone DID get help from their state Attorney General's office!

GC

Edited by GeezerCouple

I had a recent bad experience with CFAR (Cancel for Any Reason).... I cancelled an Alaska cruise before final payment (for COVID reasons) and was given a Future Cruise Credit for the amount of the deposit that I had lost.  Since the Future Cruise Credit cannot be used as a deposit on a future cruise, these FCC are technically "discount coupons" since new money has to be outlayed for the FCC to be useable. CFAR was denied (even on appeal) though I tried to make the case that these FCC are not redeemable unless additional funds are outlayed even if we choose not to redeem it or if it expires unredeemed.  Under California law, since FCC expire, are non-transferable, and additional monies are required for redemption, the CFAR decision of FCC having any value as compensation (e.g. like a  "Gift Card") would be illegal.

I cancelled on 17th April and claimed on our Insurance x2, as I had heard nothing from the first claim.

The Insurance company phoned us on 6th July and settled out claim. 

I have since been told that claims are only dealt with ONE MONTH before the due sailing date(1st August ). This is in UK.

We also had a "cancel for any reason" Travel Insured policy -----

My MIL fell and broke her hip requiring surgery on 3/2/2020. This had nothing to do with COVID and was a covered occurrence on almost any policy. MIL lives next door and we are her care givers (she is 86). We cancelled our cruise on 3/7/2020 (sail date 3/15/2020). Filed claim with Travel Insured on 4/6/2020. Have not heard one thing from TI and now it's 9/25/2020. We have placed multiple phone calls, numerous emails and even the online TI website inquiry. Fortunately, Celebrity refunded 100% of the amount paid. Celebrity never contacted us either. The only way I knew they had done it was there were 4 line items as credits on my VISA card that added up to 100% of what had been paid. These credits mysteriously appeared on my August statement. All along Celebrity said that I would only receive FCC since I cancelled the cruise before they did. No one has ever contacted us from Celebrity, Travel Insured or the big box TA. (Delta refunded 100% within 7 days of 3/7/2020, no hassles at all).

Needless to say, I will never purchase any kind of policy from Travel Insured ever again. They won't refund the insurance premium either so I have lost those dollars forever, unless I can rebook something within 3 years of the initial payment. But why would I do that? Travel Insured probably wouldn't pay a claim then either, if they even survive. They actually deserve to go out of business for such terrible non-customer service.

FWIW - In the past I had two claims with Travel Insured. One in 2014 and one in 2015 (Our DIL died of breast cancer at age 34). Both times I had to hire a local attorney to get the claim processed and settled. I had to pay the attorney out of my pocket but at least TI eventually paid the claims. I thought that by showing good faith and loyalty to TI that I would receive better treatment on future claims. Live and learn! Never again!

Hi,

I'm sorry I didn't see this thread until today.

Claims from all travel insurance companies are delayed so you should assume a claim will take at least6 months to get paid. A few minutes ago I got a call from a someone who started their "cancel for any reason" claim on March 16, 2020 and they received the check from Travel Insured today. I was helped them with the claim, but it still took over 6 months.

I wrote this on my Blog a few months ago: "one company told me they have over 9,000 unread emails in their Customer Service email queue. And, because they have a hiring freeze, they don’t expect the backlog to clear up any time soon. I asked that they stop over-promising faster turnarounds because they are under-performing and needlessly getting people angry."

I hope this helps,

Steve Dasseos

Edited by iamtrustworthy
typo

On 9/20/2020 at 12:33 PM, Oren said:

I had a recent bad experience with CFAR (Cancel for Any Reason).... I cancelled an Alaska cruise before final payment (for COVID reasons) and was given a Future Cruise Credit for the amount of the deposit that I had lost.  Since the Future Cruise Credit cannot be used as a deposit on a future cruise, these FCC are technically "discount coupons" since new money has to be outlayed for the FCC to be useable. CFAR was denied (even on appeal) though I tried to make the case that these FCC are not redeemable unless additional funds are outlayed even if we choose not to redeem it or if it expires unredeemed.  Under California law, since FCC expire, are non-transferable, and additional monies are required for redemption, the CFAR decision of FCC having any value as compensation (e.g. like a  "Gift Card") would be illegal.

Hi Oren,

Who told you that you cannot file the CFAR claim for the Alaska cruise you cancelled?

Steve Dasseos

1 hour ago, iamtrustworthy said:

Hi Oren,

Who told you that you cannot file the CFAR claim for the Alaska cruise you cancelled?

Steve Dasseos

I filed for a CFAR insurance claim for my deposit of $500 when I cancelled my Alaska cruise and Seven Corners rejected the claim and the appeal. They claim that since I automatically got a Future Cruise Credit for the $500 deposit (which will probably expire before I ever plan to use it), I cannot get a CFAR insurance reimbursement since the FCC is considered compensation for my out-of-pocket $500 deposit.  I disagreed and my appeal was a rebuttal to the CFAR rejection under California Law trying to pass or define these FCC as some type of compensation value equivalent to a  gift card or gift certificate.  Since the FCC expires, cannot be transferred, and requires a new out-of-pocket deposit to be redeemed, that this FCC is legally just a "discount coupon" for a future vacation and not "compensation"   So, CFAR is not always what it seems to be. Some lawyer may have a field day with this one.

Edited by Oren

4 minutes ago, Oren said:

I filed for a CFAR insurance claim for my deposit of $500 when I cancelled my Alaska cruise and Seven Corners rejected the claim and the appeal. They claim that since I automatically got a Future Cruise Credit for the $500 deposit (which will probably expire before I ever plan to use it), I cannot get a CFAR insurance reimbursement since the FCC is considered compensation for my out-of-pocket $500 deposit.  I disagreed and my appeal was a rebuttal to the CFAR rejection under California Law trying to pass or define these FCC as some type of compensation value equivalent to a  gift card or gift certificate.  Since the FCC expires, cannot be transferred, and requires a new out-of-pocket deposit to be redeemed, that this FCC is legally just a "discount coupon" for a future vacation and not "compensation"   So, CFAR is not always what it seems to be. Some lawyer may have a field day with this one.

Hi Oren,

Did whoever sold you the Seven Corners policy help you?

I don't sell Seven Corners or else I'd offer to help you.

Steve Dasseops

52 minutes ago, iamtrustworthy said:

Hi Oren,

Did whoever sold you the Seven Corners policy help you?

I don't sell Seven Corners or else I'd offer to help you.

Steve Dasseops

Thanks for your kind offer.  It was a direct internet purchase through John Hancock Travel Insurance, with Seven Corners as their servicing agent.  I already filed a complaint with our State Department of Insurance  for the appeal denial so will see how it goes since I believe they are absolutely wrong with their theory that FCC are reasons to deny CFAR claims. 

Edited by Oren

1 hour ago, Oren said:

Thanks for your kind offer.  It was a direct internet purchase through John Hancock Travel Insurance, with Seven Corners as their servicing agent.  I already filed a complaint with our State Department of Insurance  for the appeal denial so will see how it goes since I believe they are absolutely wrong with their theory that FCC are reasons to deny CFAR claims. 

I'd think your State Department of Insurance should help you.

I've had customers have CFAR claims paid even though they were offered FCC's. I've had them write a cover letter to the insurance company saying they are giving up their right to use the FCC when their claim is paid.

• Like 1

My Mom died on Jan 31st, which was the day I was supposed to sail.  I didn't file until later, but have received 2 emails from TI that claims are running later than normal because of CoVID.  This is Sept and still no money.

Sorry to hear that! Travel Insured’s response time on claims is unacceptable!

My friend and I were booked on the Star Vista Ultimate Disco cruise in February 2021 on the Celebrity Infinity. Due to COVID and my friend’s health issues, we cancelled the cruise in June, 2020 and filed a claim on our CFAR policy with Travel Insured International along with supporting documentation.
As the weeks and months (June-September) pass, calls and Emails to Travel Insured International claims department go unanswered.
When I finally do get a vague Email response in September, the form letter states due to COVID, there is a delay in processing claims.
Has anyone had their CFAR claim processed from Travel Insured International since the pandemic began?

Update on Travel Insured claim... my friend and I received a check for 75% of the claim with a note on the stub that once additional medical information is submitted, if it is approved, we will receive the remaining 25% of our claim funds.

I feel this is Travel Insured’s way of making us jump through more hoops in the hopes that we will just get tired of the back and forth, thereby allowing Travel Insured to keep more of OUR money!!

3 hours ago, Honeybadger418 said:

Update on Travel Insured claim... my friend and I received a check for 75% of the claim with a note on the stub that once additional medical information is submitted, if it is approved, we will receive the remaining 25% of our claim funds.

I feel this is Travel Insured’s way of making us jump through more hoops in the hopes that we will just get tired of the back and forth, thereby allowing Travel Insured to keep more of OUR money!!

Not sure where the misunderstanding is.

you said, and I quote "we cancelled the cruise in June, 2020 and filed a claim on our CFAR policy with Travel Insured International along with supporting documentation."

Travel Insured CFAR policy only reimburses up to 75%. You specifically cancelled using CFAR as the reason. Where am I missing something.?

• 1 month later...

Not sure if this is the right thread to ask this question in or not. 

I bought a policy from Travel Insured International for a January 2021 cruise that was canceled last week.  I'm not re-booking at this time.  Am I entitled to a refund of any of the premium I paid?

16 hours ago, Roz said:

Not sure if this is the right thread to ask this question in or not. 

I bought a policy from Travel Insured International for a January 2021 cruise that was canceled last week.  I'm not re-booking at this time.  Am I entitled to a refund of any of the premium I paid?

Have you gone to their web site and looked?

Travel Insurance | C&F Travel Insured International

Refund? probably not

Request a voucher? much more likely

Edited by klfrodo

23 hours ago, Roz said:

@klfrodo, thank you so much.  I requested a voucher for future travel.  It was easy.  I thought I was going to have to call and speak with an agent.

Hi Roz,

Even though Travel Insured calls this a “Voucher”, what you actually have is the same policy that you would re-use for a future trip.

Steve Dasseos

• Like 1