RC Health Plan - Health and Safety Panel Report are now released

A&L_Ont

14 hours ago, firefly333 said:

One of those cruise blogs said you can test positive if you have allergies. Idk

He posted tips like on a hot day dont rush to the port, your temperature could go up. 

Idk I've never been tested. 

Nonsense, ambient air temperature has no negligible affect on body temperature. I walk about 1/4 mile from staff parking lot into the hospital. Even during Dallas’ 110 degree days my body temperature at the screening station was never more than .5 degree above normal. 

6 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

Nonsense, ambient air temperature has no negligible affect on body temperature. I walk about 1/4 mile from staff parking lot into the hospital. Even during Dallas’ 110 degree days my body temperature at the screening station was never more than .5 degree above normal. 

5 degrees above normal?  Secondary screening for you before getting the all-clear to board.

33 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

Good to know. I'm not medical and have said so. Read it on a cruising blog of tips. Hopefully .5 isn't a big deal as I usually pull my suitcase to board. Some exertion there.

On 9/26/2020 at 8:46 AM, d9704011 said:

Interesting from a short-term spectator activity.  More ‘interesting’ is the false negative scenario.

23 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

Except you aren't a spectator when it happens to you.

AGREED!
A false positive becomes something far different from 'interesting' when it happens to you.  And it goes far beyond just not being able to board a ship.  

The 'system' acts as if false positives are impossible.  Positive is positive forevermore.  Only in the most public of cases is there any attempt to say "that might not really be a positive".   For everyone else, it affects them, their family, and any 'close contacts' for 2 weeks.  

• Like 1

On 9/23/2020 at 5:00 PM, zalusky said:

Both the wife and I maintain our weight during the cruise.  First rule is two meals a day.  We tend to sleep in late and usually miss breakfast unless a port is involved.  Second rule is 30 fast walk minutes on the treadmill everyday.

Last rule watch the snacks at most 1 to 2 drinks a day.

We usually lose or maintain, but we take the stairs 2 up, 4 down.  More than that and I'll wait for the elevator 😉

eta: I wish that the cruise lines would come out and say what they're going to positively do so that we can cancel if needed.  Next one is January -- plane, hotel, excursions booked, cruise fully paid for.  My fear is that they spring requirements on us that weren't in the original contract AFTER the refund date.

Edited by WAMarathoner

41 minutes ago, WAMarathoner said:

We usually lose or maintain, but we take the stairs 2 up, 4 down.  More than that and I'll wait for the elevator 😉

eta: I wish that the cruise lines would come out and say what they're going to positively do so that we can cancel if needed.  Next one is January -- plane, hotel, excursions booked, cruise fully paid for.  My fear is that they spring requirements on us that weren't in the original contract AFTER the refund date.

Rcl has made what proposals. Cdc hasn't reviewed them. The article says cruiseline execs will go to the WH and talk about them next Friday... doesnt say if cdc will be there or review their plans. Cdc wanted to just extend thru next February and write off cruiselines without any review. Read the article. Doesnt indicate cdc will review or not.

It's gotten political sounds like. Said wh stopped the cdc from just extending thru next February when no one can predict situation next feb. Sad to me its politics. 

• Like 1

How does Royal plan on getting test results back in a timely manner prior to boarding?  I assume the new Abbot quick test?

My biggest fear is not getting Covid19, but being stuck on a ship that has an "outbreak" and sitting off the coast of Florida for days.  Again, you could test negative and get on board, but can come down with symptoms in the middle of the cruise depending how long it takes Rona to show up right?!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TheMastodon said:

How does Royal plan on getting test results back in a timely manner prior to boarding?  I assume the new Abbot quick test?

My biggest fear is not getting Covid19, but being stuck on a ship that has an "outbreak" and sitting off the coast of Florida for days.  Again, you could test negative and get on board, but can come down with symptoms in the middle of the cruise depending how long it takes Rona to show up right?!

According to the plan it is the customer that is responsible for getting themselves tested and having the results back 5 days or less from sailing.  No one knows yet what the final outcome will be.  Certainly seems to make more sense for them to do the rapid test at the pier

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, TheMastodon said:

The Abbott rapid test is 95% accurate AFTER the seventh day of becoming infected. I think it will do little to keep the cruise environment safe. It certainly isn't keeping the White House safe.

And I share your concern. I am not scared of the virus but I am of getting wrapped up in some sort of quarentine.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, molly361 said:

According to the plan it is the customer that is responsible for getting themselves tested and having the results back 5 days or less from sailing.  No one knows yet what the final outcome will be.  Certainly seems to make more sense for them to do the rapid test at the pier

Molly361 my uncommon sense has a few concerns/questions -

1.) Getting tested at home before getting on a ship is a good thing - it will show if the virus is in your system - time to quarantine and not potentially spread on the way to the ship and on the ship.  No brainer

2.) However, getting tested and showing negative 5 days before the cruise also opens up a possibility that you can contract it between the negative result and getting on the ship.  

My opinion is that a negative result should be required 5 days before + the Abbot quick test at the port.  That way it will catch people that potentially caught the virus after their negative test and before the cruise.  But in the end, there is always a chance you can catch it at the airport, etc on the way to the ship.  I doubt the Abbot quick test is sensitive enough to grab an infection that just occurred.

Either way, it will be tough to keep it off the ship which is the ultimate goal.  I am one who does't think Covid19 is as bad as we are lead to believe, but that doesn't mean I want it on a cruise ship because of the logistical nightmare that will unfold.  We shall see!

2 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

The Abbott rapid test is 95% accurate AFTER the seventh day of becoming infected. I think it will do little to keep the cruise environment safe. It certainly isn't keeping the White House safe.

And I share your concern. I am not scared of the virus but I am of getting wrapped up in some sort of quarentine.

WOW.  7 days.  I don't know Ocean Boy.  Going to be real hard to keep it off ships.  

14 minutes ago, TheMastodon said:

Molly361 my uncommon sense has a few concerns/questions -

1.) Getting tested at home before getting on a ship is a good thing - it will show if the virus is in your system - time to quarantine and not potentially spread on the way to the ship and on the ship.  No brainer

2.) However, getting tested and showing negative 5 days before the cruise also opens up a possibility that you can contract it between the negative result and getting on the ship.  

My opinion is that a negative result should be required 5 days before + the Abbot quick test at the port.  That way it will catch people that potentially caught the virus after their negative test and before the cruise.  But in the end, there is always a chance you can catch it at the airport, etc on the way to the ship.  I doubt the Abbot quick test is sensitive enough to grab an infection that just occurred.

Either way, it will be tough to keep it off the ship which is the ultimate goal.  I am one who does't think Covid19 is as bad as we are lead to believe, but that doesn't mean I want it on a cruise ship because of the logistical nightmare that will unfold.  We shall see!

It's impossible to catch them all. Hawaii is wrestling with this too.

https://www.khon2.com/coronavirus/hawaiis-arrival-testing-debate-continues-decision-expected-this-week/

Edited by Pratique

8 minutes ago, Pratique said:

https://www.khon2.com/coronavirus/hawaiis-arrival-testing-debate-continues-decision-expected-this-week/

Didn't consider how islands were handling this - figured they would be requiring testing tho.  But unless these require a quarantine  (new zealand) you won't catch them all.  

I don't know Pratique - I am nervous how things will go for cruises.  Then again, I don't think anyone back in April could have imagined pro sports playing w/ such success.  Might just have to try it and see how it goes.  At some point folks need to have some common sense and ask if it's a good idea FOR THEM to hop on a cruise ship.  For the rest of us, it's a moral dilemma if we want to go on a cruise and potentially catch it and take it off the ship back home.  

On 9/22/2020 at 6:31 PM, PolytheneGirl said:

Thanks. Its mainly the testing aspect for me. I'm UK based and the only testing I'm aware of thats available is through the government and thats restricted to certain eligibility so I wouldn't even know how to go abut getting one!

There are private clinics where you can get tested. The airline I work for (in UK) needs a negative test 72 hours prior to dept (and another one for return), costs a small fortune though. Believe in Germany Tui cruises has made arrangements with a chain of private hospitals across Germany, cost included in the cruise fare 

4 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

That's horrible accuracy, too.  Yikes.

4 hours ago, Pratique said:

That's why any plan needs to be based on knowing that you really CAN'T catch them all.  The plan needs some preventive element, but needs to be focused more on the WHEN a case is found. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, D C said:

That's why any plan needs to be based on knowing that you really CAN'T catch them all.  The plan needs some preventive element, but needs to be focused more on the WHEN a case is found. 

And passengers deserve to be informed of that plan before they board so they know what the possible ramifications of getting on the ship could be.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, D C said:

Exactly, and that’s why some of us are worried that the plan might require quarantine of the entire ship. Hopefully not.