RC Health Plan - Health and Safety Panel Report are now released

A&L_Ont

1 minute ago, firefly333 said:

By next spring some people will have had it and be immune and some will be vaccinated. 

Waste of their money for some to be tested if they have proof of vaccination. 

Yeah for sure.

I guess I figured they would be going above and beyond to please the CDC - thats all.

I'll pack the neck gaiter and cross fingers that my May cruise will be sailing.  

No show stoppers in the report.  I'm already doing most of what the report recommends anyway.  Maintain my distance, avoid crowds (not hard for an introvert).  Stay home (booked a balcony cabin "on the hump").  Sensible touring (I'm not into bar crawls or rock concerts anyway).

I'm counting on my 26 Jan Anthem going.  I really need the break from winter in the Frozen north (and I didn't like the movie anyway, besides, "Fargo" was a documentary, wasn't it?).

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

By next spring some people will have had it and be immune and some will be vaccinated. 

Waste of their money for some to be tested if they have proof of vaccination. 

Until the efficacy of a vaccine is known, if and when it is available to the general public,  the testing and prevention measures will probably remain in place.  The Abbott $5, 15 minute test included in the fare is what I would opt for if I were on the H & S panel. 

• Like 3

I've held onto my cancelled cruise credits/OBC but don't have much longer to make a decision. I will likely just go ahead and get the refund. I could actually live with the excursion requirement - just focus more on diving which in many cases, even the dive shop recommends going through the ship. Nor do I have a problem with being tested right before boarding. I just am not going to wear a mask outside of embarkation/debarkation. I'm really happy they don't bother many of you since hopefully that will keep cruising afloat but they bother me a lot, especially since excessive wearing will trigger my rosacea.

I will try to find a land vacation for this winter. I do want to get to vitamin D producing sunshine so that rules out the continental U.S. If USVI stays open this time, going there when cruise ships are halted might be a good time to go. There will be some mask requirements but it is easier for me to avoid those places on land than on a ship (I tend to stay outdoors more). Alas, I look forward to getting more cruises under my belt someday!

• Thanks 1

Don't know whether to shift our 3/28 LOS to the next year.  I am not going to cruise wearing a mask...other measures I'm ok with.  And it wouldn't matter if I will wear a mask or not, autistic 30 year old DS refuses to wear one ever.  So absolutely sick of this.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

Another thing.....  Previously, anyone coming into Florida from NY/NJ/CT, required a 14 day quarantine. I’m not sure that requirement has been removed yet??

Would you follow those requirements if they are still in place?

Asking for a friend. 

M8

NO.. We had to do a mandatory 14 day once already.. BS to the Tyrant..

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, yogimax said:

Seeing this spelled out in detail is depressing and has changed my outlook

You see a lot of detail?  I don’t. I see a lot of “should have a plan“ but no real plan. I sure hope they have more detail for the CDC and inform what the actual plan contains. What is published here didn’t address many of the CDC questions. 

M8

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, boscobeans said:

NO.. We had to do a mandatory 14 day once already.. BS to the Tyrant..

Most everyone we know coming into Florida from NJ/NY/CT have ignored the 14 day quarantine. When flights opened up, those coming in from those States were handed a document once in the terminal. According to media reports and video, most tossed in the nearest trash bin. Sorta like let’s all wear masks. 

M8

2 hours ago, firefly333 said:

Carnival is clearly already limiting bookings and cutting them off early. Driving prices higher and higher. 

Carnival also just recently sent termination letters to many crew members.  

Edited by livingonthebeach

3 minutes ago, livingonthebeach said:

Carnival also just recently sent termination letters to many crew members.  

Just curious, how do you terminate a crew member who is not under contract?

I would think by now, most not currently on a ship would not have an active contract. 

M8

Edited by Milwaukee Eight

I have no problems with everything listed in the document. Do I love it? Of course not, but to me it's not much different than how we've been living already and the idea of at least being on a cruise while wearing a mask, taking my temperature, and social distancing sounds better than doing it at home!  Hopefully everyone who doesn't want to cruise with these conditions makes it easier for the ships to sail at the new limited capacity when they restart and they won't have to kick people off who want to be onboard. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

This doesn’t say much. Still doesn’t address the CDC’s previous concerns. They keep mentioning should have plans in place. What are those plans?

Its unfair to healthcare workers and their families to have infected people on a cruise, which is not essential, dumped off into their healthcare facilities. IMO

M8

They do mention that they should have isolation rooms set aside for those who test positive and maybe quarantined there. 

I am pretty sure they would transport them back to their home state after consulting their health advisors.  See # 50 through #54 covers this.  I don't think they need to spell it all out since they came to an agreement with the CDC as far as how to handle the crew when they were transported back home.

They transported those that were stuck on the ships via private transportation, one person was all alone on a bus to her home.  She had two drivers.

Edited by Plum Happy

8 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

Just checked Florida no longer has travel restrictions related to COVID19. However, read the section about cruising. I believe it’s the current CDC line on COVID19. 

https://floridahealthcovid19.gov/travelers/

26EF57CC-9F93-4419-B39A-BB8F78CF4F5B.pngCan't find this anywhere on the CDC website as of today????

3 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

Just curious, how do you terminate a crew member who is not under contract?

I would think by now, most not currently on a ship would not have an active contract. 

M8

IDK -- from the site:

"Carnival Cruise Line is taking steps to terminate and/or not renew the contracts of employment of several thousands of officers and crew members throughout its fleet, according to several crew members who wish to remain anonymous.

Today, several crew members provided internal documentation indicating that Carnival is sending as many as 7,000 termination letters to Carnival officers and crew members. As many as eight captains (masters), five staff captains, five guest service managers, six executive chefs and six hotel directors are among the top ship employees who are being laid off. Carnival sent these letters via e-mails to officers and crew members who are at home on vacation or otherwise at home awaiting a vessel assignment if and when the CDC permits cruising from U.S. ports. Carnival plans to make individual calls to follow up on some of the notices of termination."

3 minutes ago, livingonthebeach said:

IDK -- from the site:

"Carnival Cruise Line is taking steps to terminate and/or not renew the contracts of employment of several thousands of officers and crew members throughout its fleet, according to several crew members who wish to remain anonymous.

Today, several crew members provided internal documentation indicating that Carnival is sending as many as 7,000 termination letters to Carnival officers and crew members. As many as eight captains (masters), five staff captains, five guest service managers, six executive chefs and six hotel directors are among the top ship employees who are being laid off. Carnival sent these letters via e-mails to officers and crew members who are at home on vacation or otherwise at home awaiting a vessel assignment if and when the CDC permits cruising from U.S. ports. Carnival plans to make individual calls to follow up on some of the notices of termination."

Well, they have beached three ships, it would make sense they do not need all of the officers and crew to support those ships.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Plum Happy said:

They do mention that they should have isolation rooms set aside for those who test positive and maybe quarantined there. 

I am pretty sure they would transport them back to their home state after consulting their health advisors.  See # 50 through #54 covers this.  I don't think they need to spell it all out since they came to an agreement with the CDC as far as how to handle the crew when they were transported back home.

They transported those that were stuck on the ships via private transportation, one person was all alone on a bus to her home.  She had two drivers.

Yes but still could be a burden on our healthcare system and providers. Let’s face it, cruising is not an essential business. I know many here are willing to take the risk but it’s not fair to healthcare workers and their families if someone on holiday/vacation requires treatment. 

My two cents

M8

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

Yes but still could be a burden on our healthcare system and providers. Let’s face it, cruising is not an essential business. I know many here are willing to take the risk but it’s not fair to healthcare workers and their families if someone on holiday/vacation requires treatment. 

My two cents

M8

Why would they cruise if they don't have health care in the first place?  The states dealt with and are dealing with COVID-19 now, they should be used to it by now.

It certainly seems like Cruisetours such as Princess in Alaska would be shut down.  You have hotels, trains, buses, and various excursions outside of the ship and it makes the whole thing longer as well. 

When do they start to notify cruises that don't fit these parameters such as the long ones they are affected?

6 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

Well, they have beached three ships, it would make sense they do not need all of the officers and crew to support those ships.

"Carnival Corporation recently announced that it was selling as many as eighteen cruise ships from its fleet, including four ships operated by Carnival Cruise Line including the Carnival Fantasy, Carnival Inspiration, Carnival Imagination and Carnival Fascination.

The mass firings are an insight into the state of Carnival’s dire financial affairs. According to a 8-K form which Carnival filed with the SEC last week, Carnival’s cash burn was $770,000,000 for 3Q 2020, which ended with Carnival having only “$8,200,000,000 of cash and cash equivalents.” As of August 31, 2020, “approximately 45 percent of guests affected by the company’s schedule changes have received enhanced FCCs (future cruise credits) and approximately 55 percent have requested refunds.”

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Plum Happy said:

Why would they cruise if they don't have health care in the first place?  The states dealt with and are dealing with COVID-19 now, they should be used to it by now.

I’m sure there are many US Citizens under 65 cruising without insurance.  The fewer patients seen with COVID19 the less risk healthcare workers and their families have. It seems selfish to me for those that say, that’s their job.  Cruising is a holiday/vacation/leisure, not a requirement, not essential. 

M8

• Like 1